Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 93 BMW 325i and 94 Camaro
Trim boot thingy part number?

I'm searching on RealOEM right now looking for a part for my window trim on the outside. (Not the rusty part, I have brand new of that sitting on the floor of a extra bedroom), I want these rubber boot thingies before I put them on, I have all new weather stripping for around the windows, in the doors and the outside pieces, except not these boot things, there is one at either end of the part that goes up and around the windows. I just have a picture of the rear one. I need them for my 318is project car and for my newly purchased M3.

http://imgur.com/u6Trdys,vvC7vc4

I just posted a link so I won't eat up the bandwidth. First picture is of the part I need, second picture is to show proof that it is not connected to the part to the left of it that goes along the rear vent window.

RealOEM isn't showing that in any diagrams. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...59&hg=51&fg=20

Same diagram for a M3. The 318is is a 1993, the M3 is a 1995.

*EDIT* I should have mentioned I am looking for a link to where to buy it at, or a part number for left and right.

Last edited by Lastspark; 07-29-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
You are incorrect on this. That rubber end is connected to the plastic trim piece which runs along the window sill. You can buy them from just about any BMW parts vendor:

Left side: 51368119963
Right side: 51368119964

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...60&hg=51&fg=05

They can be purchased as GetBMWParts.com, ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, etc...

Also, I'm assuming that by "all new weather stripping for around the windows" you have purchased items 51368119961 and 51368119962. Those are usually cracking on most E36s by now. The only reason I ask is because if you have ordered those, I figured you'd have also found the vent window lower sill trim above (but you hadn't). Just makin' sure you actually have it all before you start taking things apart.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM

That is so... I hate my life. The trim pieces I ordered do not have that attached at the end. I shall return them and order them from somewhere else. I am sorry that this was so simple for you, I hope you understand why I thought they were seperate. And thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Lastspark; 07-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Well, the reason why it was so easy for me is because I just did all that stuff on my car in the spring. I don't know how in the world you got your hands on some that didn't have those rubber ends already on them, though. Anyway, order the parts with the part numbers I listed above and you'll get the correct items with the rubber ends. It's super easy, but be prepared to spend a while scraping off the adhesive residue left over from the old trim pieces. I used a plastic putty knife and some goo gone (or similar). It takes a while, but make sure you get the surface completely clean before putting the new trim down.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this stuff.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-29-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the tip, the M3 will be challenging due to that, but the 318is, I'll just use sand paper, doing body work and prepping for paint anyway so it'll look much nicer if under the trim is painted too for any future work that will be done to the car involving those pieces down the road.

And never challenge me to getting parts that are wrong / incomplete / broken. I am the champion at that. I ordered a left interior door handle, have the order form in the filing cabinet to prove it, they mailed me a right side door handle. I ordered a windshield a long time ago for my Camaro, they sent me a rear window instead. I can see the door handle thing being possible, but come on, a window? I also ordered two piece rims, I got the outer piece of all four rims, I had to call and ask where the hell the inner pieces were at. Then they wanted me to send back the outer pieces so they could resend the inner and outer together? Yeah, that's my life.