Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Beaner Beamer

Send a message via Skype™ to captainbimmer
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Windshield Washer Not Spraying and Warranty

Hello bimmer-buds, I have a 2011 328i and I purchased it used just a few days ago. I have 42k miles and my concern is this car breaking at 51k miles just when my warranty runs out. This post is a two part question:

1. What can I do to take full advantage of my warranty and have my car fully checked out by BMW?

2. I pulled the level to spray washer fluid and fluid barely sprayed out as if it was weak. Is this normal or broken?

Thank you!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Sounds like your car is going to run out of miles before months.

The idrive car service info will tell you when brakes, oil, brake fluid, cabin filters are due to be changed. The dealer won't service anything that is not showing due so you will likely miss the 48 month brake fluid change (should have had on at 24 months).

At 49,000 miles you can take the car in and say your wiper blades are streaking and get new ones .... unless you buddy up with the SA they may or may not "check out" the car for you.

Washer fluid "barely spraying" is not right and should be corrected.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
This might be a stupid question, but is there anything in the fluid reservoir? Pop hood and check just to be sure, look down the tube. Can't hurt.

Now, does it make the whirring noise when you attempt to spray your windshield? Could be a clogged filter. Take passenger tire off, remove that cowling there, check out pump filter. I bet it's just clogged up with crap. If not, you're probably looking at a failed pump, which isn't too rare on these cars.

Here's a neat little guide on cleaning that filter, let's hope it's that: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558259

A protip, save your money...keep about a grand for repairs stowed away. You will need it. This isn't a Toyota. It's not a matter of IF, rather WHEN.

Last edited by BiHoTTo115; 07-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Beaner Beamer

Thanks for info everyone. Dealer will take care of windshield washer spray. I figure since my warranty will expire soon? I just want to be proactive with repairs and maintenance plus take full advantage of my warranty however possible.

My next related question: is the extended warranty worth it? I guess what I want to know is are these cars very reliable?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbimmer View Post
Thanks for info everyone. Dealer will take care of windshield washer spray. I figure since my warranty will expire soon? I just want to be proactive with repairs and maintenance plus take full advantage of my warranty however possible.

My next related question: is the extended warranty worth it? I guess what I want to know is are these cars very reliable?

I'm not a big fan of the word "reliable", as it has different meanings depending on who you talk to. Will the car run well, generally, and perform adequately? Sure. Will it need repairs more often than a Japanese brand car? Definitely. Being proactive is the best thing you can do, make sure you do routine maintenance for wear/tear items like brake parts, get codes read every once in a while, and you should be fine.

But like I said, budget for the big ticket items, like the waterpump/thermostat ($500 in parts, another $500-600 in labor), coils, etc.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
The best way you can be proactive is to learn to work on your own car. There are many basic things you can do...and by hanging out on these forums and search for answers, you'll learn a lot of them.

Any time you take a car to a shop you're paying $70 to $100+ per hour for their labor. You can save a ton of money by learning to do things yourself.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Beaner Beamer

Thanks Pilgrim. I probably should learn to work on my car. Just hardly have the time these days. Do you know a good place to start learning the basics? Maybe a good ultra beginners guide?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbimmer View Post
Hello bimmer-buds, I have a 2011 328i and I purchased it used just a few days ago. I have 42k miles and my concern is this car breaking at 51k miles just when my warranty runs out. This post is a two part question:

1. What can I do to take full advantage of my warranty and have my car fully checked out by BMW?

2. I pulled the level to spray washer fluid and fluid barely sprayed out as if it was weak. Is this normal or broken?

Thank you!!!

I'm not an expert on this, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile at 49K to bring the car into a very qualified and reliable BMW "Indy" and have them give the car a thorough checkout? It may cost...what? Some end of warranty issues may not throw a code. Just a thought. (where's DSX when you need him ).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Beaner Beamer

I guess my final question on this everyone is are any of the extended warranty plans worth it? I am looking at spending about another $1500 - $3000 depending on the plan for another 24 - 48k miles of full coverage after my 50k mile bmw warranty. Is the extended worth it?