Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 325i convertible
Post New guy with questions

Hey guys my names Stephen and as you can tell im brand new. Im 17 and i got a 87 325i convertible for my first car ( for free out of my grandmas garage. ftw) I'm having a few very minor issues with my car, and i knew you guys can help. My first and biggest issue being that my soft top window is impossible to see through. its a thick white haze. the car sat for over 4 years in a garage with the top down, which is what caused the issue in the first place. the car was garage kept basically its whole life, and has over 166k miles on it (odomoter gear tooth broke. i know its a common issue with these cars as these forums have said)
a new issue just arose today, as i found a puddle of antifreeze under my car. My mechanic of a neighbor said my weephole is leaking because of the bearings the water pump impeller runs on broke. ( its the pump thats connected to my radiator fan, and has a cluster**** of belts and hoses on it.) but other then that, the 5 speed shifts like new, and the engine has plenty of pep. in the next week or so ill be changing the water pump, the spark plugs, and probally removing the muffler for a better more free flowing exhaust.
if any of you actually take the time to read this it would be greatly appreciated. looking for any tips and pointers the 325i vets have, so i can sponge it up and get her properly tuned!
thanks guys
-Stephen
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Welcome to the fest!

Change the cam drive belt at the same time. It's bound to be long overdue. I would STRONGLY advise against running it until that's done. The cam drive belt can take a "set" and fail shortly after a car is brought out of mothballs, especially after sitting for four years. If it breaks, you will be looking at major work to fix it, because it will bend/break valves, break rocker arms and ding pistons. It's the #1 cause of 'death' to M20 engines and E30s.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Smile thanks

how much is a new belt for my camshaft and is it hard to replace? ive noticed a low ticking at idle when i pop my hood, which ive been told are my valve stems. not totally sure. she runs fine, but i am bringing her into a shop tomorrow to get a tuneup/checkup.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM

how much is a new cam belt?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Re: New guy with questions

New cam belt and tensioner (always replace them together) are about $40. Make sure you get the correct one for your engine. The one for the M20B27 (the "e" engine) is different length than the one for the M20B25 (the "i" engine).

Sent from my MB860 using BimmerApp mobile app

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: e30 325i

Welcome!! If your going to change exhaust get new headers as well, gives extra hp, get 2.3 or 2.5 diameter exhaust. Deeper sound and better flow. Muffler doesnt matter. Im thinking about getting a cheap but loud thrush muffler at auto zone for only $40 bucks (For the time being).

Remember, These cars can be cheap and fun do it yourself cars. Or they can be a exspensive and sucky cars. Pick n' pull is going to be your best friend haha.

Also its your car dont listen to people on how they want you to do your car! Anything is possible

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

smokin, chokin, drinking, applauding, getting money.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 AM

ugh, arent new headers expensive and a pain in the arse? and i was just thinking of leaving the stock exhaust, and chopping off the muffler for now, then rejoining the two peices with a new peice of straight pipe. i want the aggressive 6 cylinder sound but i dont want a ricer D: im just gonna make her mechanically and structurally sound before i upgrade the performance or touch the cosmetics
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 AM

i got the bmw in the shop right now. its at a euro/jap import specialty place and they gonna take a look at it and give me a list of stuff to replace. i can do most things by myself.
any idea how hard it is to change/ fix the cam belt and tensioner?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenp95 View Post
im just gonna make her mechanically and structurally sound before i upgrade the performance or touch the cosmetics
Do that first, THEN, when everything is up-to-date on maintenance, you can think about upgrades/mods. DO NOT immediately start throwing bolt-ons at it. About 90% of them are a total waste of money.

Interesting that astroboy tells you not to listen to other people on how to equip your car, but would have you adding headers and a 3.5" exhaust.

Quote:
i got the bmw in the shop right now. its at a euro/jap import specialty place and they gonna take a look at it and give me a list of stuff to replace. i can do most things by myself.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...iming-Belt.htm

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Not meaning to give you grief but at age 17, I wouldn't have had enough experience or knowledge to change the cam belt/timing belt. It's not rocket science but there's a lot you can screw up. I've done it 4 times - first two times I took the hood off, it's hard to put back on by yourself but I did manage it the second time. Can be done with the hood on (obviously, I did it twice) but it's a bit more grief.

I'd get the Haynes and the Bentley manuals, they overlap a good deal of course but I often find unique bits of advice and info in each. The online DIY stuff is useful also, myself, I like having hard copy around also.

Your first time out especially, I'd recommend taking notes on every procedure you do with drawings, and in what order (of course). Cell phone pics of the before-disassembly state can be useful. Get a bundle of lunch bags and put nuts and bolts into them, with each one labeled. I don't always do that but usually always when I'm doing a procedure for the first time. I used to do the forehead smack when I wasn't sure which bolts went where or when I was done and had some nuts or bolts left over.

If you could find an emergency consultant who'd be willing to stop by your place for help in a hard spot, could be useful. Would cost a bit but these cars can go for a long time, absent some catastrophic mistake with the timing belt.

Last edited by cmac2012; 07-31-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
: Interesting that astroboy tells you not to listen to other people on how to equip your car, but would have you adding headers and a 3.5" exhaust.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...iming-Belt.htm
I had a little to much to drink last night. And decided to go on here. Sorry haha..

Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM

ive heard about bentleys manual from a guy around here by me, by he said (chitlons, total spellfail) was the better manual for the mechanics of the car, and bentley was better for interior maintenence and such. Personally im very handy and am quite good at taking things apart and putting them back together again fixed. i do it all the time with small engines (like weedeaters and lawnmowers) and my rifles too. but being my car is as valuable and sentimental as it is, im petrified to tinker.
once she is structurally sound and properly fixed up what mods do u guys suggest? i dont want massive HP just enough to beat the ricers around town and keep up with a small stock v8. (looking for anywhere between 225-250hp and the same in tq)
i would love those numbers unless the upgrades hurt my fuel economy. i enjoy my almost 25mpg city. xD
my goal is to have what i call a "happy" engine. stays cool, is quick, and breathes easy. (intake and exhaust) again, any advice is welcome. thanks guys for the help.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
:
Im not sure at all. I bought mine already done. Should be easy though because its all right there in the front and you have space.. imangine if bmw was a front wheel drive..

Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM

that would be terrible xD

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
once she is structurally sound and properly fixed up what mods do u guys suggest? i dont want massive HP just enough to beat the ricers around town and keep up with a small stock v8. (looking for anywhere between 225-250hp and the same in tq)
i would love those numbers unless the upgrades hurt my fuel economy. i enjoy my almost 25mpg city. xD
my goal is to have what i call a "happy" engine. stays cool, is quick, and breathes easy. (intake and exhaust) again, any advice is welcome. thanks guys for the help.
Hmmmm thats a tough one.. research kid. You cant do a lot with an m20. But I did see youtube videos of an m20 beating corvettes.. so I may be wrong.only thing I can think of is turbo. But thats forced injection. And hard to do

Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 PM

turbos are hard to do on sohc so youd have to get a new adjusted camshaft. ( if u dont properly adjust ur fuel intake stroke ur car will misfire and start to diesel. the heated air and compression will ignite the fuel )

Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM

not to mention blown headers and studs, and the kit plus install would cost almost as much as a new 87

Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
ive heard about bentleys manual from a guy around here by me, by he said (chitlons, total spellfail) was the better manual for the mechanics of the car, and bentley was better for interior maintenence and such. Personally im very handy and am quite good at taking things apart and putting them back together again fixed. i do it all the time with small engines (like weedeaters and lawnmowers) and my rifles too. but being my car is as valuable and sentimental as it is, im petrified to tinker.
High horsepower or good mileage. Pick one.

Forget 225-250hp out of an M20 unless you go forced induction, and then you're talking several times what the car is worth just for a basic turbo setup that's reliable.

I don't want to discourage you, but a BMW isn't a weedeater, lawnmower or gun. They are far more complex than that. And a Bentley manual is THE bible of BMW repair and maintenance. I have Chilton's, Haynes and Bentley manuals. The Bentley is the only one that gets used ever time. Even the BMW techs use the Bentley, in spite of the fact they have a factory supplied manual to go by. They are that much better.

I will say it again: Get the basics up to snuff FIRST, or you'll be wasting your time on anything else.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 PM

i sais above if the high hp eliminates my mileage i dont want it. even with things like a stroker kit i couldnt get my hp up? i just want a little more pep. it comes with like 168 hp stock i think. so maybe 200hp is more realistic?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 PM

and i know a car engine is much more complicated. i added that bit so the people who reply know that im not mechanically incompetent

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Be satisfied with 168hp for now. If you want more after driving it for a while, consider an engine swap to an M50 or S50. FAR cheaper and more reliable/less complex than a turbo.

How much car repair experience do you have? I don't think you're incompetent, but you seem a little naive to me. You ask questions that show you don't know a great deal about working on an automobile. No offense meant.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 PM

none taken man i know the 95 m3 engine fits my mounts, but id need new tranny too wouldnt i ? and i dont really have much expereince.thats why im here. also, if i come off as naive thats my bad, im really not. or atleast i try not to be.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM

Yeah 168hp is pretty fast for these cars.. surprisingly!! Hospice is right. A new motor is ideal.. I dont think they mount on directly, your looking at an extra $1000 worth of parts after you got the motor. I been racing since I was 13.. and swapping motors is a biitchhhhhh.... (not to burst hospitals bubble but..) if its not one thing its another. But its fun if your new at it haha

Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
My $.02 - I think the 325i is pretty fast stock. Not Corvette or Lamborghini fast but oh well. Some people are never happy. 15 second quarters aren't enough, then 14 isn't fast enough, gotta be in the 12 or 13 range. Cheap thrills IMO. You can move up to faster cars in your 20s. I didn't have a sporty car until I was 24, and that car was a Saab 96! Way slower than the 325i. But whether I walked 10 miles through snow to school or not doesn't mean much but my experience tells me that you'll have plenty of speed for now. The PO of my car installed a performance chip, I actually don't know anything about it. Maybe my car is faster than stock, who knows.

A year ago, one of my clients, an editor who makes bank, let his ex-wife and son talk him into buying the kid (18) a 330i, approx. 2002 IIRC. The kid piled it up on an on-ramp a few months later. Too much, too soon.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM

the car already has quite a bitt of pep but online says 0-60 in 8 seconds which is