Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Summer/Winter tire removal on same wheels

I had an extra set of the same 20" wheels and winter tires that went on/off my FX35 for years. Now that car is history and i've been trying to sell the wheels but haven't had too much luck but also haven't put alot of effort into it. So I was thinking of just getting a set of 19" winter tires for my X3 (SAP) instead of buying another set of wheels and doing the change twice a year. I'm not too concerned about having 19" winters as I had 20" winters for years and it did the job admirably. What I am concerned about is removing/replacing RFT on the same wheels. Is that not a good idea for the tires? Does it reduce the strength around the inner bead of the tires? I am also concerned about wheel damage too. But it saves me the hassle of having a set of wheels to sell and store. Not sure how long I'm going to keep the X3 so that's why I'm asking.
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
I had dedicated winter wheels/tires for my E90, but I'd ask your question over in the E90 forum if you don't get an answer here. I'm sure there are folks there who have changed over between winter and summer RFTs on the same rims for several seasons.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM

i think i'm going to a tire dealer or call tirerack to see what they have to say. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I bought aftermarket winter alloys for my winter tires. My winter tires are about done as snows, and my all-seasons may be done by next winter. I don't have a problem with changing to new tires every few years, depending on wear, but I wouldn't want to be swapping winter/summer tires on/off my 308s twice each year.

If I buy new snows, as I expect to, then when I replace my all-seasons they will be replaced with summer tires, rather than all-seasons. As of now, I expect that all will be RFT.

Last edited by 02420X3; 07-31-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I bought aftermarket winter alloys for my winter tires. My winter tires are about done as snows, and my all-seasons may be done by next winter. I don't have a problem with changing to new tires every few years, depending on wear, but I wouldn't want to be swapping winter/summer tires on/off my 308s twice each year.

If I buy new snows, as I expect to, then when I replace my all-seasons they will be replaced with summer tires, rather than all-seasons. As of now, I expect that all will be RFT.
I like the idea of having a dedicated summer tire and winter tire. Not sure if the next ones will be RFT though. I just saw an add for 4 18" X3 wheels for cheap money that now maybe I'll look into. Then all I need is the jack pad if I go that route. Thanks.