Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 330i
Considering a used 335i Convertible

Hello. I could use some insight. I currently have a 2002 330i so I understand BMW weakness with plastics and rubber parts, seals and gaskets. I have 80K miles and have had to replace parts in recent years.

I am considering swapping for a used 335i Convertible in the lower mileage range (below 30K) and 2011 or later. I have some questions:

1. Certified or not? I just had a dealer tell me that once a car is advertised as "non-certified" it cannot be certified -Huh? That just doesn't seem right. I've looked at the Certified checklist and it seems thorough.

2. If Certified, what about adding extended Maint? Twin Turbo's seems like more maintenance is required. I fly airplanes and I know turbos can lead to their own issues.

3. If not certified - take a pass? It seems like if a used 335i passes all the tests a dealer would want to certify it. If not is seems like something is being hidden...

4. Carfax. I have read a few dozen of these and have noticed on some cars there are thorough records and others a big gap from delivery to resale. So the maintenance history is missing. Should the cars with missing history be passed up?

5. Can the trunk be used with the cover up for larger objects (like luggage) as long as the top stays up?

6. Last, what are the most common issues that would arise in owning a 2011 335i convertible? I have read about the fuel pump issue on early models but wonder if that was resolved by 2011 (I like 2011 for the balance of price and remaining warranty/maintenance).

Thanks to all that comment
[/B][/B]
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Well I have a 2007 model but most comments will apply
First off you still have warranty so why are you talking about CPO? Is this E93 on a BMW lot? If so unless this car has had crash damage they can CPO it if you are willing to cough up the extra bucks for it. You have a single twin scroll turbo not the twin turbos I have. Is there added maintenance? Well so far for me there isn't. The main issues would be the direct engine carbon build up on the intake valves. It has been reported by one of the members approaching 200K miles that had his valves cleaned at around 50K that changing oil from BMW synthetic to a PAO IV oil that the build up has not returned. He had his turbos replaced at well over 100K miles but his car is not stock and he beats on it all the time.
The top needs periodic lubrication of linkage and seal conditioning on demand meaning say every 6 months or so.
The fuel pump problem has been pretty much corrected by changing suppliers from Siemans to Bosch.
Water pump failure is also a problem in all 3 series BMWs since 1991. The electric water pump has also been revised 3 times so many issues are being worked out.

Luggage is what it is. The rear seat folds flat which has helps a great deal and the storage area while sufficient for short trips or those who travel light.

I enjoy my E93 and expect it to be reliable with me doing a couple things like replacing the water pump before it fails at around 70K and cleaning the intake valves at the same mileage. I am already using PAO Group IV oil so I hope it doesn't return.

My guess is that this car has seem almost no maintenance meaning maybe 2 oil changes and some wiper blades and a micro filter.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
BMW sells a set of fitted luggage that fits in the rear seat when it is folded down. It is easiest to get it in and our of the car when the top is down but it can be loaded and unloaded with the top up. We travel with the fitted luggage and there is room for two carryon size trolly bags in the trunk and we can still get the top down. If you don't put the top dosn there is even more space avaiable. I view the car as a very roomy two seater althoug the rear seats are usable for average size adults for relatively short trips. A few years ago we took a weekend trip with another couple and with the top up there was room for everyones luggage. The other couple rode in the back seat and had a small bag on the seat between them.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispdstall View Post
Hello. I could use some insight. I currently have a 2002 330i so I understand BMW weakness with plastics and rubber parts, seals and gaskets. I have 80K miles and have had to replace parts in recent years.

I am considering swapping for a used 335i Convertible in the lower mileage range (below 30K) and 2011 or later. I have some questions:

1. Certified or not? I just had a dealer tell me that once a car is advertised as "non-certified" it cannot be certified -Huh? That just doesn't seem right. I've looked at the Certified checklist and it seems thorough.

2. If Certified, what about adding extended Maint? Twin Turbo's seems like more maintenance is required. I fly airplanes and I know turbos can lead to their own issues.

3. If not certified - take a pass? It seems like if a used 335i passes all the tests a dealer would want to certify it. If not is seems like something is being hidden...

4. Carfax. I have read a few dozen of these and have noticed on some cars there are thorough records and others a big gap from delivery to resale. So the maintenance history is missing. Should the cars with missing history be passed up?

5. Can the trunk be used with the cover up for larger objects (like luggage) as long as the top stays up?

6. Last, what are the most common issues that would arise in owning a 2011 335i convertible? I have read about the fuel pump issue on early models but wonder if that was resolved by 2011 (I like 2011 for the balance of price and remaining warranty/maintenance).

[/B][/B]
The Internet has shown us that 'Carfax' reports can be "suspect," thus "buyer beware." For example, a "dealership's car" that was somehow damaged...and retained by that dealership...well, there's NO incentive for that dealership to "report" damage (if there was no police report for example). Especially if they were going to put it on their used car lot. Just say'in.

If there was any question about the HPFP recall having been done, you need to contact BMW NA with the car's VIN number...it's still "ongoing" and the extended warranty is still in play. It's too difficult to say if 2011 model "issues" were "resolved." Better to check your VIN with BMW NA's records.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

CPO's your best bet - you can't know what happened before you buy. 2009+ only, please!

You'll freakin' LOVE that ride....top down every opportunity. Terry Burger's just over in Simi Valley - score a JB4 from him.

Take time to install a Wavetrac limited slip diff - also not hugely far away.

You'll want to re-do the suspension at your leisure - that's fun! Check Los Padres North o'Ojai - mighty fine ride w/great suspension....can do much better than stock, or buy M3 E93.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BMW sells a set of fitted luggage that fits in the rear seat when it is folded down.

E93 in a nutshell, isn't it? Nobody travels in the rear; that's needed parcel/luggage space as top's down whenever it can be.

Exception: M'dog Moose likes the rear, nose to the wind. Can't remember the last time rear seatback was up - maybe 3 years.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 330i
Great information. Thanks to all
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:

[/B][/B]
I'll answer your questions as best I'm able.
1) If it is certified great, if you find one you like as long as the original warranty has not run out on it, you can buy an extended warranty and or maitenance for the car. Certified does give some piece of mind, however, as some on the 'Fest can tell you it isn't perfect. I feel more confident in these cars if they have a warranty. They are fantastic cars, but expensive to fix.

2) Maintenance does not cover the turbos. That is either CPO or BMW extended protection Powertrain on up. Mait. is oil changes, filters, the battery. Common wisdom is that if you will need a brake job, the Mait. can be worth it. If not or your not sure/can do it yourself, pass on the extra 2 years mait.

3) That is your call. I can only say a non CPO can still be a great car. Have your mechanic check it out.

4) Carfax has some holes. Ask the dealer to see the maitenance records. If it has been abused by non maintenance, I would not buy it.

5) There is more room in these cars than commonly believed. We put 1 large and one med suit cases, 3 duffle bags and a lap top bag in the trunk and half the back seat. A child in a car seat was in the other side of the back seat. I don't think you even need the special BMW luggage, unless you are going on a trip for 3 weeks or so.

6) The HPFP issue has been solved. Just be sure it was done in any car you buy, if not have them take care of it before you sign. As noted the recall is still open, so no issue there. E93 335's are great cars, especially with the sport pkg. I doubt you would ever regret buying one. N4S
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Considering a used 335i Convertible

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-01-2013 at 02:08 PM.