Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM
mixed.nuts

Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Mein Auto: '00 328Ci
Question Raceland coilovers?

What's the verdict on these things? $400 seems ridiculously cheap to me for a coilover setup but what do I know?

These ones specifically:
http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...lover-kit.html
Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E46 stg 2.5 & E60 M5
Some of them are known to break while driving into two pieces. Some aren't... my friend had some on his E36 328i for about 10k miles until one of the shocks died. Another has had some in his E46 for 15k+ miles and has no issues.
2004 Maserati M128 GT SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
What's the verdict on these things? $400 seems ridiculously cheap to me for a coilover setup but what do I know?

These ones specifically:
http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...lover-kit.html
For those of us who actually value our lives and want to have proper handling, we wouldn't even consider it.

A set of Koni Yellows isn't much more than $400 and a will outperform the racelands by a factor of 10. And have a lifetime warranty.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 PM
mixed.nuts

I've spent the last 5 hours researching RaceLand, JOB, FK, RSK, DDM, you name it and it's become very apparent to me - any person stating some crap about "valuing life" knows nothing and has been regurgitating some crap from 4 years ago that was based on 2 unrelated incidents.

Incident #1) Kid reckless driving and blamed the suspension for his roll-over. Police report said otherwise. Suspension broke from the crash, not the other way around. Totally irrelevant.

Incident #2) DDM kit had unbelievably poor welds and car barely made it down the street when a weld broke free.

Incident #2 was definitely a safety issue but the way the E46 struts and shocks mount up, there's NO possible way that could be repeated on the E46.

So seriously - every single one of you guys rehashing this crap about safety -

SHUT THE F UP.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
I've spent the last 5 hours researching RaceLand, JOB, FK, RSK, DDM, you name it and it's become very apparent to me - any person stating some crap about "valuing life" knows nothing and has been regurgitating some crap from 4 years ago that was based on 2 unrelated incidents.

Incident #1) Kid reckless driving and blamed the suspension for his roll-over. Police report said otherwise. Suspension broke from the crash, not the other way around. Totally irrelevant.

Incident #2) DDM kit had unbelievably poor welds and car barely made it down the street when a weld broke free.

Incident #2 was definitely a safety issue but the way the E46 struts and shocks mount up, there's NO possible way that could be repeated on the E46.

SHUT THE F UP.

Didn't you start this thread to ask US about our opinions on raceland coilovers???

Go ahead and buy cheap coilovers, no one will stop you or give two shi%^ about it

Here you go, 63 pages for your reading pleasure: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=710693

Koni Yellows, lifetime warranty, under $600 for set. Done
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD

Last edited by jdauria; 08-02-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 AM
mixed.nuts

Don't give me that crap about me starting the thread. You're damn right I started the thread which means if someone is gonna throw some bullshi at me I'm gonna call them out on it.

And what is with you people and Koni Yellows? I didn't ask for shocks. Can you guys read? People who want coilovers want a stiffer suspension, less roll and lower ride height - none of which a shock can supply. Do you even know how a suspension works?

Also FYI: I read the vast majority of that thread which is nothing but a bunch of idiots like yourself blindly bashing things with no actual experience. Like I said in my previous post - a bunch of regurgitation, blasting something for completely unrelated incidents.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 AM
mixed.nuts

Oh yeah:

In before you start rambling on and on about how you race your car and yada yada yada. I don't give a rats as. Have you ever used Racelands? Have you ever used RSK's? Have you ever used anything besides what some other jaded douche told you to run? Didn't think so. I bet you suck at racing, too.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Oh yeah:

In before you start rambling on and on about how you race your car and yada yada yada. I don't give a rats as. Have you ever used Racelands? Have you ever used RSK's? Have you ever used anything besides what some other jaded douche told you to run? Didn't think so. I bet you suck at racing, too.
LOL! Okay broooooooooooo. So you race, so your cooler than everyone. Awesome.

Someone clearly cant handle criticism. You asked us about Raceland coilovers, some like it, some dont. So now your "bashing" the people who don't like it? Clearly you made your decision on raceland, so go get a set and shut the f*ck up.
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 Oxford Green | Caramel Nappa | Brushed Aluminum Trim | DINAN | Eisenmann | SuperSprint | TuningTech | ///M Registry | My Progress Thread |
2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD

Last edited by jdauria; 08-02-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM
mixed.nuts

Actually I've decided to get a decent H&R coilover set even though this car will prolly be temporary. But interesting you say you don't give a shi considering you had to share your irrelevant opinion of a product you know nothing about other than hearsay.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Raceland: The Shemp of coilovers.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E46 stg 2.5 & E60 M5
Raceland coilovers?

Quote:
Actually I've decided to get a decent H&R coilover set even though this car will prolly be temporary. But interesting you say you don't give a shi considering you had to share your irrelevant opinion of a product you know nothing about other than hearsay.
I have H&R coils and couldn't be happier with them. I'd highly recommend them.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2004 Maserati M128 GT SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Not much apparently.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:39 PM
ROLL TIDE!

This guy is a total ass bag. Let him buy cheap crap. If he really wanted coilovers, he'd save up his money for a good set (which start at $1500).

25 posts and he knows everything. My guess is his maxi pad is sticky side up today.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
mixed.nuts

20,000 posts (holy shi) and you're still lost in the dark. Maybe it's time you step away from the computer screen and go work on your car.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Maybe it's time you step away from the computer screen.
You first. Probably do you some good to get out of mommy's basement for a bit.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
20,000 posts (holy shi) and you're still lost in the dark. Maybe it's time you step away from the computer screen and go work on your car.
You're telling Smolck to work on his car??? What an ignorant ass wipe!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
If you are looking for a good coilover in the $500 range we offer the Street Edge coilover. We offer this model coilover for the E36 and E46. There are a couple reviews floating around here and E46 fanatics
(888) 230-1288
(559) 790-3287 (text)

Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

SHUT THE F UP.
By now, I've learned to put up with and accept smolck's smartass/overly sarcastic comments & talking back. It's just how he is. I've received some of the same responses before in my own/other threads.

But seriously, this isn't necessary. Maybe a response like "No, I would not consider them because _______" is better but you aren't helping by flaming.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
mixed.nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
If you are looking for a good coilover in the $500 range we offer the Street Edge coilover. We offer this model coilover for the E36 and E46. There are a couple reviews floating around here and E46 fanatics
Ah yes, the ones for the V6 BMW's, right?
http://thesuspensionsource.mybigcomm...eries-e46-2wd/

And for the rest of you: I couldn't care less how much you leg-hump smolck. Insinuating that running Raceland coilovers is a risk to your life is childish and in no way "Civilized" as Fast Bob attempted to put it. And then proceeding to suggest shocks? That makes no sense. Leg hump all you want but I've seen all I need to see - I sure don't need to read his blog or watch is vlog on YouTube.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 08-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Does your parole officer know you talk like this?

So much for those socialization classes you took in the can.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 AM
mixed.nuts

She actually likes me quite well, thanks for asking. I also don't socialize with people that answer with blanket statements and misdirection.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Ah yes, the ones for the V6 BMW's, right?
http://thesuspensionsource.mybigcomm...eries-e46-2wd/

And for the rest of you: I couldn't care less how much you leg-hump smolck. Insinuating that running Raceland coilovers is a risk to your life is childish and in no way "Civilized" as Fast Bob attempted to put it. And then proceeding to suggest shocks? That makes no sense. Leg hump all you want but I've seen all I need to see - I sure don't need to read his blog or watch is vlog on YouTube.
Troll!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:

And for the rest of you: I couldn't care less how much you leg-hump smolck. Insinuating that running Raceland coilovers is a risk to your life is childish and in no way "Civilized" as Fast Bob attempted to put it. And then proceeding to suggest shocks? That makes no sense.
It isn't about leg humping. Here are some FACTS:

1. Koni Yellows will out perform Racelands on any track any day.
2. Koni has a LIFETIME warranty
3. Koni has years and years of PROVEN performance
4. Koni yellows are run by many more people looking for a reasonable compromise between handling and daily driving comfort.
5. Koni are adjustable to YOUR taste.

And the only difference between "coilovers" and the koni is the ability to customize ride height. Given the spring rates on the racelands are quite weak for a coilover, the stock setup is a better choice. Additionally, a LOT of people who run racelands stated the back end is very bouncy which doesn't lend itself to great handling.

So even though you took offense to my post, you misread my inflection. My point was, the racelands are not the best choice by a long shot. Ever hear the saying "if something is too good to be true then it probably is"?

Do you think that a $400 set of coilovers sounds too good to be true? Do you think their might be a reason companies like Bilstein, Tein, Koni, and others charge over $1000 for their "starter" coilover kits and some are well into the $2500 range?

What you fail to realize is that I came within a hairs breath of buying some when the first hit the market. But I asked for opinions from people who know more than I do about tracking a car and handling in general. ALL of them said what I am saying to you. Did I choose to flame them and start a big fight? Nope. I listened and I am very happy I did.

Call me what you will, think of me what you will. My record speaks for itself and I need not defend it when all I was trying to do was give you an alternative choice to THINK about while you decide what you think is best for YOU. I could care less what you run on your car, merely giving you some food for thought from a different perspective.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 PM
mixed.nuts

If you would have started with that instead of insinuating a product will put my life in danger, I would have respected your thoughts. Unfortunately you already showed me your true colors.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
It isn't about leg humping. Here are some FACTS:

1. Koni Yellows will out perform Racelands on any track any day.
2. Koni has a LIFETIME warranty
3. Koni has years and years of PROVEN performance
4. Koni yellows are run by many more people looking for a reasonable compromise between handling and daily driving comfort.
5. Koni are adjustable to YOUR taste.

And the only difference between "coilovers" and the koni is the ability to customize ride height. Given the spring rates on the racelands are quite weak for a coilover, the stock setup is a better choice. Additionally, a LOT of people who run racelands stated the back end is very bouncy which doesn't lend itself to great handling.

So even though you took offense to my post, you misread my inflection. My point was, the racelands are not the best choice by a long shot. Ever hear the saying "if something is too good to be true then it probably is"?

Do you think that a $400 set of coilovers sounds too good to be true? Do you think their might be a reason companies like Bilstein, Tein, Koni, and others charge over $1000 for their "starter" coilover kits and some are well into the $2500 range?

What you fail to realize is that I came within a hairs breath of buying some when the first hit the market. But I asked for opinions from people who know more than I do about tracking a car and handling in general. ALL of them said what I am saying to you. Did I choose to flame them and start a big fight? Nope. I listened and I am very happy I did.

Call me what you will, think of me what you will. My record speaks for itself and I need not defend it when all I was trying to do was give you an alternative choice to THINK about while you decide what you think is best for YOU. I could care less what you run on your car, merely giving you some food for thought from a different perspective.
Smolck.

No need to justify yourself to this a$$hat. Any guy that uses large type for emphasis is a ladyboy. You know it, I know it, and everybody else knows it. I suggest we all just ignore his posts, and offer no response when he has problems. He will go away, just like all the other d!cks that have come rolling through here, and then disappear. People who know nothing tend to yell louder when trying to mask their lack of knowledge.