Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Onboard computer light install PITA

Anybody else have major grief swapping out a burned out onboard computer light? Got to get some kind of screwdriver in a tight space behind the thing to unscrew it. The best arrangement I came up with was using a flex shaft on my screw gun but still a major pain. The second time I did it I was impatient, got the two screws out and then tried to bend it out to get the light out and the new one it. I did manage the switch but I broke one of the screw receptacles on the face. Still usable but when you'd push a button, it would tax the other mounts, finally a second one broke making it hard to push any of the buttons. Had to open the glove box and get my hand in behind it. Major pain.

I only use it for time, date, range, and temp but I like it for those. I had often wished they had just used a method of face mounted screws for easier access so I just made it happen all by my lonesome. Cut some high quality 3/4 birch ply into 5/16ths thick pieces and glued one on each side with epoxy. The screw mounts on the computer body have little triangular supports in back of the screw bracket, I ground those out of the way with my dremel so the plywood could go right up to it. I used the ply that way for less chance of it splitting, as solid wood might.

I used 1 5/8 black trim head screws through two strips of thin brass plate to attach it. I drilled the holes 1/8 dia, which was just a tad less than the thread dia, so as to avoid ruining the skinny ply pieces. I have a chemical solution used to antique brass, turn it from yellow to that anodized bronze color - useful in kitchen hardware repair. Blackened up the brass that way. Getting the thing in and out is now a snap, only downside is you need to redo a new/used computer as I just did owing to major drama with the older (failing) unit. Oh well.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 08-01-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Ads by Google