Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
Question New here ? on 2007 328xi alignment

Just bought a 2007 328xi sedan and had it aligned today. the camber is way off and I heard you cant adjust that on these cars. my right front is fine but the left front is quite a ways off. Everything underneath is tight and the bushings are fine. Not sure how to fix this. Everytime I look no one makes a camber plate for the 328xi, just the 328i. The tech tried and pulled the pin on the top of the strut. It is still off. I will list what he came up with for camber.

Camber LF
-2.54 degrees actual... Specified Range is -.78 to -.12

Camber RF is within specs.

Toe is also within specs.

Car has not been in an accident. What should I look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks Jamie
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS View Post
Just bought a 2007 328xi sedan and had it aligned today. the camber is way off and I heard you cant adjust that on these cars. my right front is fine but the left front is quite a ways off. Everything underneath is tight and the bushings are fine. Not sure how to fix this. Everytime I look no one makes a camber plate for the 328xi, just the 328i. The tech tried and pulled the pin on the top of the strut. It is still off. I will list what he came up with for camber.

Camber LF
-2.54 degrees actual... Specified Range is -.78 to -.12

Camber RF is within specs.

Toe is also within specs.

Car has not been in an accident. What should I look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks Jamie
A few questions: Who did the alignment? A BMW dealership or BMW Indy?

Does the car 'track' strangely? Do you have noticeably more "shoulder wear" on the LF tire vs. the right front tire? No? Then perhaps leave it alone for awhile and get a 2nd (alignment) opinion later. BMW alignments should be done with the suspension loaded...don't "skimp" on this with a non-BMW experienced alignment shop.

Possibly due to a past impact (bent strut, spindle) if you say everything else is tight. If this is causing a handling and substantial tire wear issue, you may have to bring the car to a reliable (BMW experienced) body shop to see what suspension component is out of whack.

Bummer that the "X" cars don't have a camber kit aftermarket option.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 08-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:40 PM

A BMW Indy. It was loaded like it is supposed to be. It tracks fairly straight, but it has some decent shoulder wear on the left front tire only on the inside. The other 3 tires are fine. It does seem like it takes quite a bit of effort to turn the steering wheel under 30, but it has no play in the wheel
Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz S430
BMW camber tool

Did your shop use one of these to attempt to adjust your camber?
Name:  BMW Camber tool.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  10.6 KB

After knocking out the pin on top of the strut tower, you have to use this special tool to get the camber in spec. Check ride height too before making adjustments.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I think one of your arms are bent. Or your strut tower is bent. Front camber is not adjustable from the factory. If your bushings are good, something is bent.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Btw if your concern is tire wear, you can have the toe zero'd out to prevent the inner tire wear.

While I don't recommend that, it will prevent uneven tire wear.

If you do this, try to get the camber matched on both sides.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Yea he checked and I checked on my lift nothing was bent. He got the toe into specs, but the camber is still off. We looked at the strut tower. I figured it would be obvious if it is bent, but this is my first BMW though so maybe they aren't as noticeable. Which I find hard to believe. I was going to just spend the money and install new struts on the front, yet I don't want to if they aren't bad
Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Ron I don't believe he did use that tool. Is that something I can buy and is it very pricey?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:13 PM

I got it from:
http://www.kochtools.com
go to the BMW section and scroll down until you see it

It's about $100 as I recall. It will adjust camber on most later model BMW's. It will not do the 6 series. The hole in the strut tower is not wide enough for the disc to fit down into it.

We repair a lot of wrecked BMWs and use this tool all the time. There are other tools too that the local Indy tire and alignment shops do not know exist. So, they tell you that all that is adjustable is toe in most cases.

Our new Hunter Hawkeye Elite alignment machine has the actual BMW special tool part #s listed on the adjustment screen. If you know someone at the dealer, just give them the part# and they might order it for you.

Cheers!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2BNVS View Post
Yea he checked and I checked on my lift nothing was bent. He got the toe into specs, but the camber is still off. We looked at the strut tower. I figured it would be obvious if it is bent, but this is my first BMW though so maybe they aren't as noticeable. Which I find hard to believe. I was going to just spend the money and install new struts on the front, yet I don't want to if they aren't bad
Before you throw money at it with struts, make sure you do a caster sweep to get the SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) reading. If SAI is more than a degree different from side to side, it's almost always the strut. If the readings are close and the cross caster reading is within spec, it's not the strut. It could also be the upper strut mount bearing plate. I've seen them come apart before if the upper mount was not replaced when the strut was replaced from some prior pothole, etc. If you have the specs, post 'em up. I'll try to help.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Ron I sent you the sai specs in a pm