Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
E46 Options/Features Compatibility

This information has been moved to the Bimmerfest E46 Wiki. It can be found here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index..._Compatibility

Please continue to use this thread for discussion.

Last edited by KrisL; 07-17-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Thanks for the post TLudwig, I have made it sticky.
-Kris
Old 09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Unmodified BMW BT requires that the car be SOP 03/02 or later due to wiring compatibility.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Unmodified BMW BT requires that the car be SOP 03/02 or later due to wiring compatibility.
Thanks, I added that in.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLudwig
Satelite Radio

First, for either XM or Sirius satelite radio, your head unit must be satelite radio ready. All MY 2003 or later head units are satelite ready. Some MY 2002 may work if they have software version 50 (look here to see how to find out if your '02 has the appropriate software). BMW states that all non-nav 3 series built 9/02 or later are satelite radio ready.

Sirius is available for nav-equipped cars built 9/03 or later, but XM Direct does not work with navigation at this time (they're still working on it).
A couple of things - you might want to clarify the second sentence to "All MY 2003 or later non-NAV head units are satelite ready." Also, you should be able to install Sirius on an older car if you change the head unit (non-NAV) or BM53 radio and NAV computer (NAV). The latter is not cost-effective, but you should be able to get a new BM53 if you have the "FM fade lawsuit" problem. If you have a very old car, you'll probably need to get the appropriate adapter harness (square/round pins) for the head unit (non-NAV) or BM53 (NAV). You may also need an antenna adapter if you use the adapter harness on a non-NAV head unit. Last, as far as I know there's no Sirius kit for 3-series Tourings due to a lack of an approved mounting location, but if you cable it up, it should work.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
A couple of things - you might want to clarify the second sentence to "All MY 2003 or later non-NAV head units are satelite ready." Also, you should be able to install Sirius on an older car if you change the head unit (non-NAV) or BM53 radio and NAV computer (NAV). The latter is not cost-effective, but you should be able to get a new BM53 if you have the "FM fade lawsuit" problem. If you have a very old car, you'll probably need to get the appropriate adapter harness (square/round pins) for the head unit (non-NAV) or BM53 (NAV). You may also need an antenna adapter if you use the adapter harness on a non-NAV head unit. Last, as far as I know there's no Sirius kit for 3-series Tourings due to a lack of an approved mounting location, but if you cable it up, it should work.
Thanks, I updated the OP to include this info.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:34 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Thanks, I updated the OP to include this info.
Minor nit - the BM53 radio on the NAV-equipped cars is in the trunk. The head unit (display) is just the control panel, and doesn't need to be changed to support Sirius. On non-NAV cars, the dash radio has all the tuner / switching parts in it, and would need to be changed to support Sirius (if it was too old). I don't know what the dash radio is called on non-NAV cars.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Minor nit - the BM53 radio on the NAV-equipped cars is in the trunk. The head unit (display) is just the control panel, and doesn't need to be changed to support Sirius. On non-NAV cars, the dash radio has all the tuner / switching parts in it, and would need to be changed to support Sirius (if it was too old). I don't know what the dash radio is called on non-NAV cars.
Updated it to clarify that.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Great work.

Here is something you may want to add to the Bluetooth Phone section. All BT phones are not created equal. To be able to enjoy all what the BT Kit has to offer one needs to buy a BT phone that supports a Handsfree profile. BT phones can be had with support for a Handsfree or Headset profile. Some even support both. If you buy a phone that only supports the Headset profile it will not provide Caller ID through the MID nor will you be able to transfer your phonebook so you dial out directlly through it.

The quickest way to confirm if the BT phone supports the Handsfree profile is to check the phone maker's website. Look under "accessories" for the BT phone and if a BT car kit is listed, it will be compatible with the BMW ULF. If only headsets are listed, it will not. Some will also clearly list which profile they support

There was a PDF floating around with a listing of BMW BT compatible phones but I have done a search and seem unable to locate it. Anyway, I think it is nealry a year old so it is probably out of date.

Last edited by LDV330i; 09-07-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
TwinTurbo Power

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport
Aux-in adapter?

Just curious if anyone knows the specs for the Aux-in adapter. I have a 2002 330i.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS330i
Just curious if anyone knows the specs for the Aux-in adapter. I have a 2002 330i.
The part number for non-nav e46's is 65-12-0153-501. The part number for e46's with nav is 82-11-0-149-391. It should run you around $40. It is very easy to do yourself and will take you about an hour and a half to two hours (you can find the DIY here courtesy of jumpingmatt on this forum). If you choose to have the dealer install it, they will charge you an hour of labor.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 435 'vert
Bluetooth not compatible with convertibles. Someone tried on bmwboard; no go.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:23 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeng
Bluetooth not compatible with convertibles. Someone tried on bmwboard; no go.
Can you point me to the thread? If convertibles have SA640 (phone pre-wire), the only problem I could see is that the dealer computer might not allow marking the Bluetooth option as present, but that isn't needed to use the Bluetooth system.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Stuck in Monday

After some searching, I found this thread from BMWboard.com: It raises as many questions as it answers, but it appears, based on Adam Hick's website, that it can be done. This makes sense because Assist requires a phone connection, so the car would have to be pre-wired... Just don't expect a dealer to do the installation for you.

Note the interesting comments about being able to take incoming calls through the Assist system if you can find out your car's phone number. Like I said, if this is actually possible, then the convertibles must be similarly pre-wired for BT phone use.

Last edited by TLudwig; 09-08-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2004, Jet Black, 330CiC
Maybe I missed it in your post and maybe I'm wrong but it's currently my understanding from my local dealer as well as Circle BMW that my car, 2004 330Ci convertible with navigation and assist is not Sirius capable. Your post suggests otherwise but I don't see a reference to convertibles specifically. Do you think my car is Sirius capable? Circle does not have an installation kit available for my car. Thanks.

C
Old 09-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Stuck in Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calihan
Maybe I missed it in your post and maybe I'm wrong but it's currently my understanding from my local dealer as well as Circle BMW that my car, 2004 330Ci convertible with navigation and assist is not Sirius capable. Your post suggests otherwise but I don't see a reference to convertibles specifically. Do you think my car is Sirius capable? Circle does not have an installation kit available for my car. Thanks.

C
Sorry for not responding sooner, just saw the new post. You are correct, sirius is not yet available for the convertible with Nav AND Assist. The problem is Assist. They are working on the installation kit. It should be released VERY shortly. Sorry for not including that in my original post. I'll update it to include this info.

Last edited by TLudwig; 09-27-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Ubergeek

TLudwig,

Please incorporate this into the Dension Icelink part of the thread. My additions are in bold.

Dension Icelink

The Icelink is compatible with the Business or Professional RDS/MD/CD headunits. It is compatible with nav, but not the CD changer. As I understand it, the Icelink is also not currently compatible with Sirius, but this is supposed to be resolved shortly.

The Icelink 1.1 plugs into the cd changer plug in the trunk. Your car then thinks it has a cd changer installed - you press the MODE button on your NAV to select CDC (cd changer) *or* you press the CD button on your non-Nav radio to select CDC (cd changer mode) once the Icelink is plugged in.

You can then use your up & down buttons on your steering wheel to select previous/next track on the iPod.

The Icelink will charge your iPod, even when the car is off (once the iPod is charged, it will go to a 'sleep' mode, and should not discharge your battery unless your car is left for weeks at a time).

When you put your car in CDC mode, the iPod is powered up automatically and begins playing from the point at which you last shut it off. When you turn the car off or put the radio in FM/AM/CD/Aux mode, the iPod automatically shuts down.

Installation is fairly straightforward, involving running the cable from the trunk-mounted icelink control box that plugs into your cd changer wires to wherever you want the iPod. Dension sells Proclip dash-board mounts directly on their site. See a picture of KrisL's ipod in the icelink with the proclip dash-board mount here.

Tom@Dension reports that they are currently working on a new version of the icelink that will display the track information directly on the NAV screen.

Last edited by KrisL; 09-29-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Stuck in Monday

Good stuff. I cut and pasted it in.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:35 AM
86/325e

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325e
[do u know were i can get a new interior 4 my 86 325e
Old 10-16-2004, 10:40 AM
86/325e

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325e
hello
Old 10-18-2004, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328I
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
TLudwig,

Please incorporate this into the Dension Icelink part of the thread. My additions are in bold.

Dension Icelink

The Icelink is compatible with the Business or Professional RDS/MD/CD headunits. It is compatible with nav, but not the CD changer. As I understand it, the Icelink is also not currently compatible with Sirius, but this is supposed to be resolved shortly.

The Icelink 1.1 plugs into the cd changer plug in the trunk. Your car then thinks it has a cd changer installed - you press the MODE button on your NAV to select CDC (cd changer) *or* you press the CD button on your non-Nav radio to select CDC (cd changer mode) once the Icelink is plugged in.

You can then use your up & down buttons on your steering wheel to select previous/next track on the iPod.

The Icelink will charge your iPod, even when the car is off (once the iPod is charged, it will go to a 'sleep' mode, and should not discharge your battery unless your car is left for weeks at a time).

When you put your car in CDC mode, the iPod is powered up automatically and begins playing from the point at which you last shut it off. When you turn the car off or put the radio in FM/AM/CD/Aux mode, the iPod automatically shuts down.

Installation is fairly straightforward, involving running the cable from the trunk-mounted icelink control box that plugs into your cd changer wires to wherever you want the iPod. Dension sells Proclip dash-board mounts directly on their site. See a picture of KrisL's ipod in the icelink with the proclip dash-board mount here.

Tom@Dension reports that they are currently working on a new version of the icelink that will display the track information directly on the NAV screen.

Hello, quick question, will this work with a 1999 328i? someone told me that the Ipod adapter works only with cars MY2002. This will greatly assist in my decision on whether or not to shell out money to buy an Ipod

thanks guys
Old 10-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemheezy
Hello, quick question, will this work with a 1999 328i? someone told me that the Ipod adapter works only with cars MY2002. This will greatly assist in my decision on whether or not to shell out money to buy an Ipod

thanks guys

The icelink works in ALL E46s. The BMW branded 'iPodYourBMW' only works in 2002+.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
The icelink works in ALL E46s. The BMW branded 'iPodYourBMW' only works in 2002+.
9/02 to be exact.

On another note, we now have the ice>Link specific for OEM BMW Sirius vehicles!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535 xi
Red face Sirius for 2004 325CIC?

Quote:
Sorry for not responding sooner, just saw the new post. You are correct, sirius is not yet available for the convertible with Nav AND Assist. The problem is Assist. They are working on the installation kit. It should be released VERY shortly. Sorry for not including that in my original post. I'll update it to include this info.
Once my car had arrived at the dealership they called me in to arrange the details for final prep (i.e. alarm warnings, automatic door locks when moving, etc.). At that time I noticed a brocure on the manager's desk about SIRIUS satelite radio and I was like "How much for that?" She quoted a price to the tune of $700+ dollars which I threw on top of the lease. I figured so far so good. A few days later my beauty was ready to be picked up. She had less than 4 miles on the odometer and still smelt of S.W. Germany. The sales rep was very thorough in showing me the features of the car which by that time I had already memorized. (During the 2 months between order and delivery I spent countless hours studying the owner's manual and combed through this message board to learn as much as I could about my first bimmer.) So, when he turned on satelite radio we discovered that I hadn't subscribed to a service yet but that the radio had been activated for XM satelite.
No worries. Since it was saturday and he had some problems with his computer and I wanted to start driving asap we agreed that I would call to subscribe myself that week. He gave me the my radio's ID# (?) and an XM brochure and said that he would check up on me to see if all went smoothly the following week.
That Monday first thing in the morning I was online signing up for a year with XM satelite radio. I was pleased that 15 minutes later I went out to my car and was receivng signal from them. Dealer also called me as promised thanked him and moved on. Now I have 2 concerns:
First, why did dealer charge me $700 if I had to pay for my subscription with XM sat for the year anyway?
Second, Howard Stern is going on SIRIUS next year. My car doesn't have NAV but does have BMW Assist. Once my subscription with XM expires would I be able to sign up with SIRIUS as easily as forwarding my radio ID# and submitting my credit card info?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilot
Once my car had arrived at the dealership they called me in to arrange the details for final prep (i.e. alarm warnings, automatic door locks when moving, etc.). At that time I noticed a brocure on the manager's desk about SIRIUS satelite radio and I was like "How much for that?" She quoted a price to the tune of $700+ dollars which I threw on top of the lease. I figured so far so good. A few days later my beauty was ready to be picked up. She had less than 4 miles on the odometer and still smelt of S.W. Germany. The sales rep was very thorough in showing me the features of the car which by that time I had already memorized. (During the 2 months between order and delivery I spent countless hours studying the owner's manual and combed through this message board to learn as much as I could about my first bimmer.) So, when he turned on satelite radio we discovered that I hadn't subscribed to a service yet but that the radio had been activated for XM satelite.
No worries. Since it was saturday and he had some problems with his computer and I wanted to start driving asap we agreed that I would call to subscribe myself that week. He gave me the my radio's ID# (?) and an XM brochure and said that he would check up on me to see if all went smoothly the following week.
That Monday first thing in the morning I was online signing up for a year with XM satelite radio. I was pleased that 15 minutes later I went out to my car and was receivng signal from them. Dealer also called me as promised thanked him and moved on. Now I have 2 concerns:
First, why did dealer charge me $700 if I had to pay for my subscription with XM sat for the year anyway?
Second, Howard Stern is going on SIRIUS next year. My car doesn't have NAV but does have BMW Assist. Once my subscription with XM expires would I be able to sign up with SIRIUS as easily as forwarding my radio ID# and submitting my credit card info?
If you had XM radio installed when you paid to have Sirius installed then you were not only mislead but ripped off. The official satellite radio supplier to BMW is Sirius and therefore OEM and if installed before delivery it is covered the 4 year BMW warranty.

XM satellite radio is considered to be an aftermarket product and it requires a Blitzsafe adapter to connect to the BMW wiring harness and is not covered by the BMW warranty even if installed before delivery.

Paying $700 for satellite radio is way too much. The Sirius satellite radio (special BMW model) parts cost $399, MSRP. The XM radio costs $49 plus $250 for the Blitzsafe adaptor. Both installations are plug and play and should not take more than hour for a self install since you are connecting in the trunk to the CD changer harness.

Last edited by LDV330i; 11-04-2004 at 08:18 PM.