Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
2000 328i Blown Engine

I have what appears to be a sweet deal lined up for a 2000 328i 5sp. the only problem is the engine is blown. The guy is only charging about 800 for it in the DC area. i will be heading down there this weekend with my long time mechanic to check on it. if the blown engine is the only problem with the car is this a good deal? its a 4dr
Ads by Google
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
It's only a good deal if your willing to fork up the cash to drop in a new motor. If the exterior, interior is all in good shape, yes $800 would be a steal in my opinion. You could drop in a M54B25, M54B30, S54 etc but it will cost you a couple thousand to get it up and running unless you plan on making it a project and you do all the work
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM

if we are dropping a new engine in then we.ll probably have a mechanic do it. but im just hopping its a blown head gtasket and can just be rebuilt. if thats the case we will probably do it ourselves
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEdwards7 View Post
if we are dropping a new engine in then we.ll probably have a mechanic do it. but im just hopping its a blown head gtasket and can just be rebuilt. if thats the case we will probably do it ourselves
I could be wrong, but from what I have read about these engines being overheated is that if the gasket is blown then there is a good chance that the head is warped since it is aluminum. The person who overheated this engine probably is not the type of person to pull off the road as soon as they realize their temp gauge is in the red zone, but instead probably drove it that way for several miles. If you try to go the rebuilding route, you might end up wasting time and money and have to buy a new engine anyway.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
FWIW, I am in the process of replacing a blown engine in my 330 (oil pump failure on the track due to a missed shift that led to an over-rev). The repair bill, not including some extras I am having the shop do while the engine is out of the car, is $7000, of which $2700 is for a used M54B30 engine with a 12 month warranty. My shop's rates are consistent with those in the San Francisco area, they are very highly regarded in the enthusiast community, and the bill is net of a 10% CCA discount.

That car of yours might make someone a good project car if they can do the work themselves or if it has some value to the buyer as a donor car, but not probably otherwise.

(fwiw, I opted to do this work to my car because a) I am the original owner, b) it is in otherwise near perfect condition, and c) it has options that will be impossible to find in the used market; i.e.: very few options and a color that is not silver or black, and d) I have been planning on keeping the car for a good while longer.)

Last edited by Cliff; 08-05-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Yep, that is a good deal. I'd be all over it if the car body and interior are in good shape. A new engine is $1500 and figure $400 for "extras" like fluids, mounts, etc while installing the new motor. Don't bother with trying to rebuild it, replace it. One thing to be VERY careful about is the condition of the subframe mount areas. The 2000 models were plagued with that more than others. Make SURE it is good or else you will have an $800 paperweight.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
FWIW, I am in the process of replacing a blown engine in my 330 (oil pump failure on the track due to a missed shift that led to an over-rev). The repair bill, not including some extras I am having the shop do while the engine is out of the car, is $7000, of which $2700 is for a used M54B30 engine with a 12 month warranty. My shop's rates are consistent with those in the San Francisco area, they are very highly regarded in the enthusiast community, and the bill is net of a 10% CCA discount.

That car of yours might make someone a good project car if they can do the work themselves or if it has some value to the buyer as a donor car, but not probably otherwise.

(fwiw, I opted to do this work to my car because a) I am the original owner, b) it is in otherwise near perfect condition, and c) it has options that will be impossible to find in the used market; i.e.: very few options and a color that is not silver or black, and d) I have been planning on keeping the car for a good while longer.)
Would a swap from a 328i to a 330i be a clean swap. If so what would be needed. If not what types of modifications would be necessary?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
TMS

Quote:
Would a swap from a 328i to a 330i be a clean swap. If so what would be needed. If not what types of modifications would be necessary?
I responded to this question in your other thread. I am not doing the work on my car myself - it's being performed by the independent BMW repair shop I use.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post

You can find a M54B30 for cheaper than that brotha! $2700 is pushing S54 status. I see M54b30 for $1000-1500
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
You can find a M54B30 for cheaper than that brotha! $2700 is pushing S54 status. I see M54b30 for $1000-1500
if you find an M54B30 for a grand let me know. i got quoted 2300 for it with a 2 year unlimited miles warranty
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
www.car-part.com

You might be able to find salvage from hurricane Sandy for $1000 but most engines go for considerably more.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
if you find an M54B30 for a grand let me know. i got quoted 2300 for it with a 2 year unlimited miles warranty
These don't have any warranty on them. You just have to ask the right questions to the seller. Ask about compression numbers, maintenance on the motor etc.

M54B30: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=995861
S54: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...078&highlight=

Just search around, you will find plenty of motors
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Stan

Mein Auto: 1998 328IC
I think you can find an engine in good shape under $1500. If you get one on here you would have to pay shipping, but looks like there's good inventory: http://www.partmyride.com/search#BMW...es/1999/2003//