Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 35i
Talking Delivery and First Drive

I took delivery this morning after spending some time with my sales guy going over all of the features and controls. Immediately drove home 100+ miles of highway with very light traffic. Here are a few thoughts and observations FWIW.
  • Heads Up Display - I really found this extremely useful and will become spoiled very quickly to having it. I tried a couple of different pairs of sunglasses. Worked great on non-polarized, and was very visible with or without sunglasses on a very bright and sunny day. I noticed that I didn't need to use the corrective part of my bi-focals to see it. On my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses one eye could see the numbers, although they were slightly lighter, but the other eye couldn't unless I tilted my head slightly. When playing music from the hard drive or flash drive the thumbwheel on the steering wheel makes the song listings appear on the HUD, allowing you to change songs without taking your eyes off the road.
  • Air Conditioner - I was relieved to find it worked just fine in our dry heat although it was only in the low 90's today. Anxious to see how it works after sitting in the sun all afternoon on a 100+ degree day.
  • Bluetooth - Paired easily and worked great with my iphone and when I got a call while driving it showed up on the HUD so I could press the thumbwheel to accept without taking eyes off the road.
  • Acceleration/Ride - I did NOT get the sport package but was very impressed by the acceleration and how smooth the ride was.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Very sharp lookin' X3!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35M Sapphire/Black
Delivery and First Drive

Congratulations. It looks awesome and it sounds like it lured you into instant love just like it should. Enjoy.

Btw, please tell me how you connected your iPhone to the car to get it to show your songs in the HUD. And how do you transfer songs to the hard drive. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Thanks and have fun. Nice color combo.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
Congratulations. It looks awesome and it sounds like it lured you into instant love just like it should. Enjoy.

Btw, please tell me how you connected your iPhone to the car to get it to show your songs in the HUD. And how do you transfer songs to the hard drive. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

Thanks and have fun. Nice color combo.

In my case, I don't have any music stored on my phone. I was playing songs from a flash drive, which I plugged into the USB port inside the center armrest console. Once it was plugged in and given a few seconds to scan it, the drive shows up in Multimedia as a connected device. In my case it gave me the name of the flash drive maker.

As far as copying to the hard drive I haven't tried that yet. My sales guy put some songs on there for demonstration purposes. Looks like there's a pretty quick explanation on page 54 of the "Navigation, Entertainment, Communication" manual that came with your owner's manual package.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
  • Bluetooth - Paired easily and worked great with my iphone and when I got a call while driving it showed up on the HUD so I could press the thumbwheel to accept without taking eyes off the road.

Interesting, how are you seeing your phone information on the HUD? I have yet to see phone info up on the hud.
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post

Interesting, how are you seeing your phone information on the HUD? I have yet to see phone info up on the hud.
Beside the miles per hour indicator it shows 3 lines. The first is the name of the person calling, the middle is "Accept Call" and the bottom is something else which I can't remember right now. "Reject Call", maybe?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonchipper View Post
Beside the miles per hour indicator it shows 3 lines. The first is the name of the person calling, the middle is "Accept Call" and the bottom is something else which I can't remember right now. "Reject Call", maybe?
This is news to me. I haven't seen this in my 2014 X3 with HUD. Is there an option to add this anywhere?
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 AM

I've determined I think he is referring to the cluster display, not the actual HUD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	391279  
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoz View Post
This is news to me. I haven't seen this in my 2014 X3 with HUD. Is there an option to add this anywhere?
In answer to the other poster, no it was definitely the HUD, reflected off the windshield. I didn't do anything special to enable it, just paired my phone using Bluetooth.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I've determined I think he is referring to the cluster display, not the actual HUD.
The phone information looked like that in your picture, but it was on the HUD, reflected off the windshield to the right of the MPH indicator.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe
Delivery and First Drive

Congrats!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Cotton chipper... What kind of phone do you have? I have an iPhone 5 maybe that's why??

Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Cotton chipper... What kind of phone do you have? I have an iPhone 5 maybe that's why??
Mine's an iPhone 5 also.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Can you please take a photo of this for us? Puttin a piece of paper on the outside if the windshield helps.

Much appreciated

Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Can you please take a photo of this for us? Puttin a piece of paper on the outside if the windshield helps.

Much appreciated
Okay, here are some pictures and more info. When the car is running and the HUD is operating, the phone information, radio station info and hard-drive or external USB song selection shows up in the HUD. When the engine is shut off but the accessories are still on the information shows up on the dashboard like in your picture.

Here's what it looks like when I get an incoming call on my iPhone 5 paired through Bluetooth:

With no call active, if I hit the phone symbol on the steering wheel, it shows me my most recent call history like this:

If I'm listening to SiriusXM and turn the thumbwheel on the steering wheel to change channels, it shows up like this:

And, if I'm listening to music from a flash drive plugged into the USB port and turn the thumbwheel on the steering wheel to change songs it shows up like this:

If you're not seeing these like this, maybe you need to go into "Settings", "Heads-Up Display", "Displayed Information" and make sure everything is checked as shown below:
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Wow... Thanks for that..... I do not have the entertainment telephone option in the HUD settings
Why in the world I can't figure out?? Maybe someone can help.

Thanks for the pics

Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Did u get any coding done maybe ?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Did u get any coding done maybe ?
No, straight from the factory.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Can anyone else get this information to show up?

Maybe its part of a software update?
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoz View Post
Can anyone else get this information to show up?

Maybe its part of a software update?

I was thinking about this myself. Perhaps they have an updated software version the newer cars are shipping with.

I send an email to my Service Advisor, hopefully he can shed some light. I would love to get the extra information to show.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35M Sapphire/Black
Delivery and First Drive

Please let us know what you learn.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM

My software versions are:

Media 2.017.007
Telephone 2.017.007
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about this myself. Perhaps they have an updated software version the newer cars are shipping with.

I send an email to my Service Advisor, hopefully he can shed some light. I would love to get the extra information to show.
I picked up my car a week ago! hopefully the software didn't change in that week!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonchipper View Post
My software versions are:

Media 2.017.007
Telephone 2.017.007
Mine are completely different.

Media mn-001.036.002
Phone tn-001.036.002
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Docwoz... I have the same as you.

My service advisor responded today, and told me he would get the service manager to find out for me.
Ill see what he gets back to be with