Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 M-sport
Exclamation Pirelli (Non-RFT) vs Michelline (RFT)

I put this question in a discussion thread where it may not get enough attention. I'm looking to replace my tires.

OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2's are still going at 42K miles with 4/32 tread left. Ride quality is crappy with louse noise, tramlining on pavement groves and poor light snow traction. My 19 inch rims (M-Sport Package 245/45/19) do not help with the ride noise and every single bump is painfully heard like a loud thump in the cabin. This bothers me a lot because my daughter (2 year) cannot get good sleep on long drives.

I have done a lot of research on the forum and tire rack and there is still no general consensus on which way to go. I guess everyone has their own reasons to chose one vs the other based on prior experiences and driving styles.

I'm looking at Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP (RFT's) vs Pirelli Cinturato All season plus (Non-RFT's). Driving style is mostly normal except for some aggressive cornering on ramps or roundabouts. Max speed is about 80 mph. I would like to minimize road noise in the car with less bumps on road imperfections. I expect average snow performance despite excellent ratings on tire rack for pirelli's. Am I wrong in assuming that I will loose some cornering ability with non-RFT's?

Does anyone have any experience with these two tires?
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
The only thing I could say is shoot for the one which allows a repair in the main tread area. I know for sure Pirelli don't allow it, however some manufacturers do. I think maybe Michelin is one of those but you should confirm it :-)

Cost me good to buy another one when I got a screw in my Pirelli. Not as bad as having one 8 months out of sync. I love symmetry but couldn't justify getting two :-)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
I put a set of 19" Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP run flats on my car when I got it. They're quiet, comfortable and fine in either wet or dry conditions. I would absolutely buy them again. I'm not a huge fan of Pirellis.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive (traded) Space Grey/Oyster
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
I replaced the OEM Goodyear LS2s with Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP 245/45-19 tires and have been very happy with the Michelins.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3
Not specific to the tires you have mentioned, however I run dedicated snow tires on my wife's X3. While the caveat is I inched down in rim size, thus increasing sidewall and decreasing tire width; the difference in the feel of the car was night and day when removing the run flats. Breaking distance and feel was dramatically better and I noticed no issue with turn in or general handling (to spite the increased sidewall height). Lots of people say that the suspension on the BMW's is now only designed to work with RFT, however the improvements across the board I witnessed with winter tires was very dramatic. I guess if your tracking the car you might notice some difference, but for a daily driver; once our run flats wear out were off to regular tires!!!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto:
I can provide a qualified positive review of the
Pirelli Cinturato.
I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All season (Non-RFT's) on a Mazda3. Driving style is "spirited" and I have several thousand miles on them. So, obviously, I don't have experience throughout the full life of the Pirelli, and the vehicle loads and dynamics are quite different than our X3 (2017 35i M Sport).
I have run 4 different tires on this Mazda during its 10 yr life, and I'd currently rate the Pirellis 8.5-9.0 overall. Traction and noise levels have been very good. I don't drive this vehicle in the snow!

Since we currently have the Goodyear LS2 (RFT) on the X3, and they are rated only FAIR on many reviews, I am curious to follow other folk's experience with other Non- RFTs.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
I'm going to give non RFTs a try now, ince my factory Pirelli RFTs are down to 2/32" in the back, and there is a 3 lb/day leak in them.

I decided to try some Bridgestone Turenza tires. The Pirelli don't even have 29,000 miles on them.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Quick update

Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ conventional tires 245/45/R19 Y. Cost $1080 out the door installed at Costco. Had to sign a waiver at Costco since i did not have a spare tire. The ride comfort is definitely better. No more road noise. Bumps or gaps don't give a jarring thud through the cabin. Cornering, acceleration and braking performance is about the same.

One big negative is turning performance. With RFT's you'd get instant feedback while turning. With conventional tires, there is definitely a very small but noticeable delay in steering response. While the ride is smoother, it also feels a little lofty.

I'm going to drive a few more miles on these. If the loftiness or turning response does not improve, may consider switching to Michelin MXM4 ZP 102V RFTs. They only cost $200 more. Only downside will be light snow performance - I don't drive too far in winter anyway.

One big plus of using Michelin tires is they all now come with complimentary towing for $150 miles (unlimited occurrences). Can ditch the AAA membership now.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 F25 xDrive 28i
I currently have Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFTs, mainly because that's what came with the CPO. Have yet to try them in the snow, though they don't look as tready as the Bridgestone Pole Positions I had on the previous X3, which did quite well in the snow. I've heard the Pirellis wear out faster, which remains to be seen. For what they cost, I will certainly consider alternatives when the time comes.
2013 BMW X3 x28i || 2012 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
2005 Toyota RAV4 || 2002 Dodge Durango
1988 Toyota 4Runner || 1978 Saab 99 Turbo
1974 Volvo 442 || 1971 Saab 99
1969 Jaguar E-Type (XKE) drophead coupe
1967 Mustang || 1966 Jaguar Mk II
Old 07-10-2016, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Pirelli (Non-RFT) vs Michelline (RFT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzx View Post
Quick update

Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ conventional tires 245/45/R19 Y. Cost $1080 out the door installed at Costco. Had to sign a waiver at Costco since i did not have a spare tire. .

vzx,

Curious..... What, specifically, are you waiving in this Costco waiver?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
I currently have Pirelli Cinturato P7 RFTs, mainly because that's what came with the CPO. Have yet to try them in the snow, though they don't look as tready as the Bridgestone Pole Positions I had on the previous X3, which did quite well in the snow. I've heard the Pirellis wear out faster, which remains to be seen. For what they cost, I will certainly consider alternatives when the time comes.
I've had P7 Cinturatos - they're OK but not the best. They do tend to wear out more quickly than some others, ie. Michelins or certain Bridgestones. My Porsche came through with Pirellis and when they go, I will replace them with Michelin Pilot Sports non RFTs. I've had them before and they are incredible.

Phil G.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginnerd View Post
vzx,

Curious..... What, specifically, are you waiving in this Costco waiver?

They have a policy of not installing non-RFT in cars without any spares. You just have to tell them you understand the risks and would still like conventional tires. They will place a check mark on their computer system and you move on.

I'm changing to RFTs today. The conventional tires took away the sport soul of the car. It was too lofty. Like a Lexus.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzx View Post
They have a policy of not installing non-RFT in cars without any spares. You just have to tell them you understand the risks and would still like conventional tires. They will place a check mark on their computer system and you move on.

I'm changing to RFTs today. The conventional tires took away the sport soul of the car. It was too lofty. Like a Lexus.
Love my Michelin Primacy RFTs. I don't think that signing the Costco waiver is any big deal. Just do it!

Phil G.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 PM

Just wanted to post a quick follow up to my tire choice and personal review. These are my personal observations.

My car is 2014 X3 M-sport with DHP.

OEM Goodyears lasted 42K miles (much better than anticipated). I drive mostly highway (70%) and still had 4/32 tread left. Avg MPG at 42K miles was 26. Ride comfort was horrible and road noise was annoying. Tires tramlined a lot on road imperfections. No rim/tire damage through the life of tire. light snow performance was ok if I drove carefully (says a lot about the AWD mechanisms of the car rather than the tires themselves).

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (conventional tires) 245/45/19 98W Ultra High Performance tires. $1080 installed out the door at costco.

Pros: Tires were amazing as far as comfort and road noise goes. I would definitely recommend this if you are looking for absolute peace and quite while on long drives or if you have an infant/toddler in the car who is a light sleeper.

Cons: Ride was floaty and quite bouncy. The car did not feel like a BMW. Cornering performance took a big hit. There was no direct steering response. I found myself correcting the steering on corners. I could feel that the tires wanted to take the car in one direction while I was trying to steer slightly towards the other direction. There was a slight but noticeable delay in turning the steering and the car actually turning. A lot of body roll while going through roundabouts. Most importantly, mileage took a big hit. Car was now giving 23-24 mpg. This is likely due to UHP tires and their grip on the road.

Eventually decided to return these tires after driving about 250 miles. I ordered the BMW for handling. These tires took it away completely. Would not recommend if you have DHP and drive spiritedly. These would be good tires if you drive normally and care about comfort. Did not ride these in snow to assess their performance. Tire rack gives good reviews in light and deep snow

Michelin MXM4 ZP 245/45/19 102V XL (RFTs). $1250 installed.

Pros: My BMW was alive again. Tight cornering. Responsive steering. No delays while turning. No overcorrecting. Mileage improved to 26 mpg. Significant improvement in road noise compared to OEM good years. Same acceleration and braking performance as the pilot sports. You can feel the road imperfection without the accompanying road noise

Cons: Stiff compared to conventional tires but still better then OEM LS2's. Some bumps and bridge gaps are still felt as a jarring thud.

Overall, I would take the occasional jarring thud over poor cornering response of the conventional tires. These RFT's are a keeper.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Nice review - thanks for the update. I'll look at the Michelin RFT when I renew soon :-)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search