Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
2007 328i Rims/Tires question

Hello,

I have been looking at this forum for quite a while, I found it to be a great place full of information. I'm not that experienced when it comes to cars, actually my 328i 2007 is my first car I bought 6 months ago, I'd say I'm lucky to have a BMW, it's a fun car to drive. Throughout me owning my bmw I have done tons of researching trying to learn about cars, I'm still a little blurry in some areas.
Anyway,

I was reading on the forums about tireracks.com being a great place to buy rims and tires, however I'm a little confused. I have read on the forums that 20' rims would not fit a 328 because it would hit the sides, etc, but tire racks has a selection when I input my car info.

My question is, what is the biggest tires you can add on a bmw 328i? I'm looking to upgrade from the stock 16' I have on to something bigger that could improve performance and looks

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageTony View Post
I was reading on the forums about tireracks.com being a great place to buy rims and tires, however I'm a little confused. I have read on the forums that 20' rims would not fit a 328 because it would hit the sides, etc, but tire racks has a selection when I input my car info.

My question is, what is the biggest tires you can add on a bmw 328i? I'm looking to upgrade from the stock 16' I have on to something bigger that could improve performance and looks
!
tirerack.com is in the business of selling tires and wheels. They list 20"s because some people believe that they look cool and believe that the largest wheels with skinny tire profiles handle best.

IMO, don't go over 18" - the ride gets pretty harsh, the wheel/tire combo is heavier, and the short sidewall gives you more opportunities to bend the wheels, and the tires get more expensive.

8" wide 18" wheels with 225/40R18 tires all round will give you a lot more steering feel, and better cornering (than the 205/55R16 which you probably have on.) The cautions about "rubbing" have more to do with width than diameter, and also a lot to do with offset. Read the tirerack articles that reference "offset". Some people like to "push out the tires" so that the stance looks wider - they do this with high offset wheels or with spacers.

One of the diesel guys on e90post put up some pics just today demonstrating wide tires, and spacers: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820534

Last edited by floydarogers; 08-06-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
2007 328i Rims/Tires question

Try www.bavauto.com. They are a forum sponsor and have some killer deals right now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app