Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335is 2012
Question Is there a Cool Carbon pad for my 335is?

I've been trying to figure out if Cool Carbon makes a brake pad for my 335is and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Does anybody here know for sure?
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Don't bother with cool carbon pads.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Why should I not bother with the Cool Carbon pads? From the various reviews I've read they perform great on the street (i.e. good initial bite when cold + they are quiet) and they are fine for Novice - Intermediate level on the track (no brake fade, good modulation) and that's how I intend on using them.

Is there a better quiet alternative to these? I'm open to suggestions and learning new things.

Thank you
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I like/use StopTech's street pads, but they don't bite when cold as well as stock (which was a good thing IMO).

http://zeckhausenracing.com/BMW/E90.htm

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelosP View Post
Why should I not bother with the Cool Carbon pads? From the various reviews I've read they perform great on the street (i.e. good initial bite when cold + they are quiet) and they are fine for Novice - Intermediate level on the track (no brake fade, good modulation) and that's how I intend on using them.

Is there a better quiet alternative to these? I'm open to suggestions and learning new things.

Thank you
I just think they are over rated. They don't perform that well on the track. They are ok for street use but I wouldn't use these on the track.

I would go with ebc or hawk.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Cool Carbon pads work excellent. If you want an evaluation just check the SFO BBWCCA site where they did an excellent evaluation of them and recommended them highly. If you want to check bimmerforum.com under the M series E36. Just search with Cool Carbon and you should see this same eval.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Thank you, that makes me fill better. BTW I have managed to find the correct part # for my car and I've ordered a set.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
^^^^

Do you track the car?

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Go with something else. I have the CC pads and am very dissapointed. And don't believe they dust less than stock.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
^^^^

Do you track the car?
I do track the car, but I'm still in the Novice group. I will probably be in Intermediate soon, but once I get to Advanced I will be getting a dedicated track car. So I'm looking for a solution that works for Novice and Intermediate only and with a stock 335is; no extra power or sticky tires.

I don't really want to be changing pads before and after the track, so I'm looking for something that I can also drive on the street.

Hawk HPS - Good for the street, no good on the track with my heavy car
Hawk HP+ - Terrible for the street due to noise (unbearable for me), no good on the track as I've read several reports of people crashing their cars because they grip, they grip, they grip and suddenly there is no grip and you are off the track
Cool Carbon - Good for the street as they are quiet and good on the track for Novice & Intermediate. You may get some fading with a heavy car, but you know it is coming and it is gradual unlike the Hawk HP+
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
I do track the car, but I'm still in the Novice group. I will probably be in Intermediate soon, but once I get to Advanced I will be getting a dedicated track car. So I'm looking for a solution that works for Novice and Intermediate only and with a stock 335is; no extra power or sticky tires.

I don't really want to be changing pads before and after the track, so I'm looking for something that I can also drive on the street.

Hawk HPS - Good for the street, no good on the track with my heavy car
Hawk HP+ - Terrible for the street due to noise (unbearable for me), no good on the track as I've read several reports of people crashing their cars because they grip, they grip, they grip and suddenly there is no grip and you are off the track
Cool Carbon - Good for the street as they are quiet and good on the track for Novice & Intermediate. You may get some fading with a heavy car, but you know it is coming and it is gradual unlike the Hawk HP+
Hard to believe you've not added StopTech's wide temp range pads to this list. Your homework is incomplete.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Hard to believe you've not added StopTech's wide temp range pads to this list. Your homework is incomplete.
It certainly sounds like it! I'm going to research into them, but in the meantime do you have some specific models you can recommend and/or any experiences you've had with them?

One of my main concerns is whether they are quiet on the street. If they are quiet on the street and they don't lose their stopping power suddenly on the track then I'm interested
Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
It certainly sounds like it! I'm going to research into them, but in the meantime do you have some specific models you can recommend and/or any experiences you've had with them?

One of my main concerns is whether they are quiet on the street. If they are quiet on the street and they don't lose their stopping power suddenly on the track then I'm interested
I don't find any noise using them and also very little dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streetpads.png
Views:	46
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	390246  

Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I'm going to look into these, they seem great.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Do you track your car at all with these pads?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Do you track your car at all with these pads?
I don't, no. I do know some folks that have/do. They are designed for light/medium track use.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
I don't think there is such a thing as "light/medium" track use, especially in a porky (incoming! ) 3-series. It just means you get a few more laps/session of not trusting your brakes than with stock pads Light track use pads are like all-season tires - crappy at everything. Worse on the street than stock and under perform on the track.

Not trusting your brakes means tentative driving = longer in beginner/intermediate groups.

If your goal is to be advanced/solo, I would bite the bullet and get braided steel brake lines, higher spec fluid (Motul, Castrol SRF, Ate) and "endurance" pads such as Performance Friction, Pagid or Carbotech (don't know about StopTech) that can confidently handle the weight of a 3-series all day long. Alternatively, if you already know you are going to get a dedicated track car and have the means, just do it now.

EDIT: good track pads = lots of dust! Sorry!
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 08-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Yeah, I don't know the marketing purpose behind "light/medium" ... I do know that I've never had deposits left on rotors like the OEM pads, in the severe heat we get in the valley; they do dust, just not as much, are pretty quiet and don't seem to be beating up the rotors much as the amount of iron removed during the weekly washing is much less.

Agree with the above, especially the brake fluid.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as "light/medium" track use, especially in a porky (incoming! ) 3-series. It just means you get a few more laps/session of not trusting your brakes than with stock pads Light track use pads are like all-season tires - crappy at everything. Worse on the street than stock and under perform on the track.

Not trusting your brakes means tentative driving = longer in beginner/intermediate groups.
I agree with you, this is why I'm getting rid of my Hawk HP+ even though they are just 5 days old (and I also have a spare set that I will need to sell). I bought them after they were recommended to me without doing my homework. I started doing my homework after I drove home with blood coming out of my ears due to the insane amount of noise coming out of them. Apparently when under heavy use they will lose stopping power very suddenly, meaning you have to always drive tentatively.

From what I've read the Cool Carbons will give you plenty of warning before they lose their stopping power which means you don't have to drive tentatively. You start feeling that they are reaching their limits, but they still provide enough stopping power to be safe and then you can just take it easy on the next lap. I'm going to be putting this to the test on Monday when I head to Road America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
If your goal is to be advanced/solo, I would bite the bullet and get braided steel brake lines, higher spec fluid (Motul, Castrol SRF, Ate) and "endurance" pads such as Performance Friction, Pagid or Carbotech (don't know about StopTech) that can confidently handle the weight of a 3-series all day long. Alternatively, if you already know you are going to get a dedicated track car and have the means, just do it now.
I'm in a bit of an awkward situation. My 335is is a lease and it is going back to the dealer in Sep 2014. I didn't know I would be getting into racing when I first bought it. I moved to the US from Europe and I didn't have this kind of opportunity back home.

So it is not worth me making big upgrades to this car right now since I won't be keeping it and I'm still just a Novice. I have already upgraded the brake fluid to ATE and now I want to upgrade the pads to get better stopping power without spending too much.

I am afraid I cannot afford to get myself a dedicated track car just yet. I'm thinking I can make the most of my 335is until I have to return it. By then I'll have enough money set on the side (and enough research done) to get myself a track toy

If these pads don't perform well enough on the track I'll just bite the bullet and get dedicated track pads and swap them out for street pads after each event.

Last edited by AngelosP; 08-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
If these pads don't perform well enough on the track I'll just bite the bullet and get dedicated track pads and swap them out for street pads after each event.
At the end of the day this is the best solution. Because of the trade offs involved very few dual purpose street/track things work out very well.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation. My 335is is a lease and it is going back to the dealer in Sep 2014. I didn't know I would be getting into racing when I first bought it. I moved to the US from Europe and I didn't have this kind of opportunity back home.

So it is not worth me making big upgrades to this car right now since I won't be keeping it and I'm still just a Novice. I have already upgraded the brake fluid to ATE and now I want to upgrade the pads to get better stopping power without spending too much.

I am afraid I cannot afford to get myself a dedicated track car just yet. I'm thinking I can make the most of my 335is until I have to return it. By then I'll have enough money set on the side (and enough research done) to get myself a track toy

Do yourself a favor and check your lease terms. While I have not leased a BMW, I would suspect that your lease term does not allow for tracking of the vehicle and any modifications you make to the car have to be returned to stock upon lease return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 PM

I wanted to give a quick update to help save others from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Don't bother with cool carbon pads.
Those were the words of wisdom I should have listened to. Although practically silent on the street, at Road America it quickly became evident that Cool Carbon cannot support the weight of a E9X on the track. Within 3 laps (1 of them being the warm-up lap) the brakes were fading, by the 2nd session they were completely cooked.

Last edited by AngelosP; 08-16-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Size of attachments
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330xi
Quote:
I wanted to give a quick update to help save others from my experience.

Those were the words of wisdom I should have listened to. Although practically silent on the street, at Road America it quickly became evident that Cool Carbon cannot support the weight of a E9X on the track. Within 3 laps (1 of them being the warm-up lap) the brakes were fading, by the 2nd session they were completely cooked.

Cool carbons are not full on track pads, but they are adequate for most novice intermediate drivers doing a PDX or equivalent. Looking at these pictures, I would say the problem is something other than the pad such as miss applied Brake Quiet. Why is there orange stuff all over the pads? I currently have a set of cool carbons on my vehicle with two track days on them which equates to about 2 hours and forty minutes of run time after about 12,000 miles of road use. Currently they are at 18,000. They are in good shape, had some fade on the track, but never felt unsafe or made me feel like I had to back off.

Abrupt loss of brakes is usually a mech failure, ie brake line failure or pad failure. Excessive fade is often inadequate brake fluid, or improper bedding of new/ different pads, or as in the above photos, maybe some kind of contamination.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM

The pictures show the pads and nothing but the pads. There is no other substance anywhere near the pads, the orange color you are seeing is the color of the pad itself. The material changed color because it reached temperatures that it couldn't handle. These pads were professionally installed by a shop that specializes in building race cars and custom vehicles. I don't think the installation was the issue here.

I am new at this, but what I learnt is that there is no such thing as "light tracking". If you read this very thread, you will see that I myself used this term in a previous post of mine and it was wrong of me. When you are at Road America and you are doing 140+ mph on the straight which needs to be followed by a 40mph turn on a car that weighs 3200lbs there is nothing "light" about that. If you are willing to NOT do 140+ mph on the straight and start braking way ahead of time, then fine, I guess you can call that "light tracking", but in my opinion that isn't tracking at all.

The reason I posted this follow up is to make sure that people don't make the same mistake as I did. Cool Carbons on a heavy car cannot handle a single session on the track if you want to use your brakes. If you don't want to use your brakes and just step on the gas on the straights, they will do just fine, but then again so will the OEM pads.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330xi
140 mph from a rookie? Hmmm.
The orange stuff all over your pads looks like CRC brake quiet that somehow ended up in the wrong place.