Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Euro M Coupe
Question Hood alignment procedure

Does anyone have instructions as to how to properly adjust the hood on a M Coupe? Mine has a lip over the passenger headlight, but none over the driver side. No, the car has not been hit

Thanks in advance to all of those who reply.

Gus
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2002, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW M///Roadster
Gus, I'd like to contact you as my wife and I are coming down to Panama in a couple weeks. Hoping you could give us some pointers or even meet up "para una cerveza!"
Old 05-23-2002, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up Sure thing!

You are more than welcome to contact me at gberges@cwpanama.net I would be more than happy to show you around. I think your wife may be a bit uncomfortable in the trunk of the M Coupe though

No worries, I have another car we could use
Old 05-26-2002, 11:44 AM

Figured it out

There are 2 bolts that the hinge is bolted onto the chassis. On top of this, there are 2 other bolts that the hinge attaches to the engine lid. Trick is to figure out how each one of the 8 bolts affects the positioning. On top of this, there are 4 rubber stops in the engine bay that could be used to fine tune the height. One problem I ran into was the fact that the 2 side gills were not bolted in the same way, so the space among the different areas is not exactly the same. All in all, not difficult to do, but very annoying.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW M///Roadster
Oh well.... I guess now I just might as well may stay in los estados unidos! No necesita mi ayuda
Old 05-26-2002, 08:08 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Adjusting hood lid to fit

A somewhat involved procedure from the write up. Best to have someone there to help. Be careful.

Old 05-26-2002, 08:19 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Ron!

As usual, your help is invaluable

Too bad I did not have this BEFORE I started messing around with it. Maybe when Steve get here we can re do the procedure while cooling off with some cervezas! There goes getting the aligment being correct

Gracias Ron!
Old 06-16-2002, 11:51 AM
Project No Budget 1.9

Send a message via AIM to Christian
Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9
Gus: I just adjusted my hood. It had a larger gap over the driver side headlight than above the passenger side. I just adjusted the rubber hood stops and I threaded the screw further in a few turns (the one that is attached to the hood latch.) Problem solved. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3
Yesterday I stopped by my bodyshop to see if they had any suggestions, as I had a similar problem in that there was a slight lip on the drivers side. The manager pointed out that my car's lines on the sides were perfect it was just a slight lip above the driver's side headlight. When he pulled on the bumper cover slightly the lines were perfect. He pointed out that the height was perfect all around and therefore I shouldn't try adjusting the height of anything. Try this or check your headlights to make sure they are correct. I was also told that a badly aligned headlight may make it look as if the hood is uneven.

Joe
Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
This is a very old thread, but I'm wondering if this will solve the problem I'm currently having. After an accident, and having a new hood installed, it sits too high over the front fenders... Would the adjustment at the a pillar cover correct this by lowering the hood? I know the bumper needs some adjustment too.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Mini Cooper S
I'm having similar problems to you. One thing you may want to try is to adjust the bracket inside the wheel well. There are 3 10mm nuts that hold the corner bracket of the bumper into place. There is a little play in the bracket when its loosened, and you may be able to adjust it enough to align to the hood. Alignment issues are a real pain to fix I'm finding. Seems the more you play with things, the worse it all gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
This is a very old thread, but I'm wondering if this will solve the problem I'm currently having. After an accident, and having a new hood installed, it sits too high over the front fenders... Would the adjustment at the a pillar cover correct this by lowering the hood? I know the bumper needs some adjustment too.