Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: None
MY FIRST CAR!! CPO Z4 vs New 3 series?? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I'm planning to get my first car next month and I'm heavily discussing this with my parents, friends, etc which one to get since I'm not a big car-geek and I'm actually a beginner at this whole car thing.

My budget is around 35k, and I'm considering between New BMW 3 series or Certified Pre-Owned Z4. Although I do not know much about CPO Bimmers, there are pretty good deals out there in dealer stores (like 2011+ Z4s between 15k-20k miles for 35k-40k bucks).

My dream car always has been a Z4, but new Z4 is too much for me as a graduate student.

My Question is - are CPO Z4's gonna be as good as new Z4's? Or would I be better off with new 3 series?

I'd really appreciate anyone out there who has good knowledge about CPO, Thanks...
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Having owned both a Z4 and 3 series cabrio and living in the Boston area, I would recommend the 3. If you plan to drive the Z in our winters you'll find it less than usable. Low ground clearance is a problem. The 3 worked fine for me in snow, though I had 4 snow tires on it.
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired

Z4 2004 -retired
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Having lived in Colorado and owning a BMW X5, e30's, e34's and now ane90 3 series and a e89 z4 I agree in winter snow area, the low ground clearance is not a good idea when you own just a Z4. You can also look at a CPO X3 or a New X1 if you are interested in the all wheel drives. CPO means you get a very well documented car that has been thoroughly checked out and the warranty is for 6 years from original date of sale or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. It is in fact a good deal! Good luck, and enjoy your choice in the ultimate driving machine
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: None
Oh damn, I'm going to a school in Boston - Z4 is a bad news huh?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Not sure why you are comparing a Z4 and...a 3 series? They seem like totally different car styles?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planisphere View Post
Oh damn, I'm going to a school in Boston - Z4 is a bad news huh?
IMO, CPO Z4's are the way to go because there are a large number of low mileage garage queens coming off lease. The Z4 is 10 times more to drive versus a 3 series, but it is not a good daily driver in a cold weather climate. Therefore, the relative boredom of a 3 series awaits you.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Not totally bad news - buy a bicycle, live close to campus, use the bicycle on snowy days or until the roads are plowed- study more during snowy weather and enjoy a Z4 on nice weekends and long breaks. Whatever you do, you need four ice/snow tires and even with BMW's rear wheel drive you will be able to get around unless you have a blizzard.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Like someone else has stated earlier. There really is no comparison between the 3 series and the Z4. If you are looking at a new 3 series, then you are talking about a sedan and the Z4 is obviously a coupe/roadster. If you are looking for a 2 door comparison then you would be looking at the new 4 series which is the coupe version of the 3 series and this is new for 2014. I have had a 3 series coupe in AWD form (X drive in BMW speak) in Colorado and got around fine in the snowy weather even with All Season tires. I have also driven my Z4 in CO. in the winter and had no issues, although I did use dedicated winter tires. Personally, I think the new 4 series would be more useful as a full time driver and the Z4 is more of a personal use kind of vehicle. How you plan on using the vehicle should probably be the determining factor.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2009, Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planisphere View Post
Hello, I'm planning to get my first car next month and I'm heavily discussing this with my parents, friends, etc which one to get since I'm not a big car-geek and I'm actually a beginner at this whole car thing.

My budget is around 35k, and I'm considering between New BMW 3 series or Certified Pre-Owned Z4. Although I do not know much about CPO Bimmers, there are pretty good deals out there in dealer stores (like 2011+ Z4s between 15k-20k miles for 35k-40k bucks).

My dream car always has been a Z4, but new Z4 is too much for me as a graduate student.

My Question is - are CPO Z4's gonna be as good as new Z4's? Or would I be better off with new 3 series?

I'd really appreciate anyone out there who has good knowledge about CPO, Thanks...
New is new, Z4 is cool but not on the back of a flat bed truck. I have owned a few without any problems. Only buy from a BMW dealership because they usually only put cars out there that they have taken in trade. They usually put real clean ones out there. If you can have it serviced at that dealership it builds a repore with your service writer. Anyway enjoy your new auto, you work hard to make it happen. Arnie