Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Luxury rear seating...a bird in the back?

So, have driven just over 100 miles now and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the rear luxury seating package...

It took a while to locate the general source of this metal on metal squeak/chirp sound because it only happens over a slight jolt of a bump or several small bumps in quick succession, but the passenger side rear seat has a chirping sound. Best I can tell it is coming from somewhere near the rails, it is definitely below the sitting surface. Lol, if it wasn't so quiet IN the car and I was more of a nature lover I probably wouldn't have noticed as quickly!

I was hoping not to have to take it into the dealer so soon but you all know that old truck with the worn out suspension that "chirps" over bumps? We have a low grade fever version of that coming from the back seat. Ironically the wife was asking if we could remove the rear seats, looks like somebody might have to in order to locate the culprit.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
No chirp here

I am close to 70,000 miles in my 2010 535i GT with luxury rear seats and never had the sound you described
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
I have the rear luxury seating package and definitely have/had the chirp. Took my car to the dealership and let a tech drive it...he heard it too. They kept it for a few hours and fixed it, but said some parts needed to be ordered to make sure it didn't come back. That was over two months ago.
Haven't heard from the dealership, but after following the thread, "Don't have a collision", I think I know why the parts haven't come in yet.

Just take the car to the dealership because the chirp noise will drive you crazy!!!!!

I will try to find my dealer recepit to see exactly what was done.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
There is no spoon

I'm so glad I'm not the only one and it already is driving me crazy...and we're going on a 1000mi each way road trip (one of the main excuses for getting the car) soon! But at least I can get it in and logged w/ the dealer, maybe w/ more than one incident they'll have more incentive to send the part(s) over from Mars ;-). I'm curious to see if it is on the same side of the vehicle in both our cars...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM
GT = hi&bye

Yes. It was definitely coming from the passenger side area. Initially, I thought it was the grey shelf in the back, but I fiddled with that and it didn't work. Then I tried reclining the seats a bit...didn't work. Then I tried driving with the seats completely folded. No luck.
I can't find the dealer receipt but I will call in the am and update you on what they did.

I cannot imagine driving 1000 miles with that nuisance. And I have found that playing music doesn't help because the chirp is still audible.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 AM
There is no spoon

Lol, I monkeyed around in the back while the wife drove and eventually contorted myself across and around the behemoth of the center console to get my head in the passenger footwell to better locate the sound. Then tried the folded vs non-folded even 1/2 down, interestingly it seems as though it takes about 1/2 mi when first starting for the day (only 2 data pts thusfar hardly counts as a trend) before the chirp starts. I really appreciate your help wrto the specifics. I'll see if I can get it in this afternoon or Thur am as I have tinting lined up on Wed am.

Btw, is there a way to lower or hide the seatbelt clasps so they don't make an impression on the side bolsters when the seats are folded?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
If it gets to the point of going to the dealer, an audio recording of some kind might help.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
GT = hi&bye

Here is information from dealer... Hope this helps.

COMPLAINT : CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A SQUEAK/RATTLE COMING FROM VEHICLE |
VINCE TEST DROVE AND CAN IDENTIFY

2. CAUSE : TEST DROVE VEHICLE, VERIFIED NOIS FROM REAR OF VEHICLE,
ORIG AT TOP OF REAR HATCH, FOUND UPPER INTERIOR PANEL OF

REAR HATCH LOOSE, REMOVED PANEL FOUND PANEL DAMAGED. |
3. CORRECTION: PARTS ON ORDER FOR REPAIR.

Parts List:

07-14-7-220-227 CLIP WITH SEAL RING X4
51-16-7-151-389 CLAMP X7
51-49-7-223-690 UPPER TRUNK LID TRI X1
#4 IN DIAGRAM

Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	391297
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM
There is no spoon

Another mystery!

Good call Ernest and thanks GT! I'm concerned it's not the same issue as we received the car without a privacy panel (hopefully that is not a long wait, but not holding my breath based on fish's and your experience with parts!). Have an appt this Thursday am so I'll post good news hopefully.

Also I just tried connecting my iphone5 and iPad2 last night via USB and nothing is recognized from either port (glovebox or center console). At least with the iPad it says reading for a second, weird thing is the iPad doesn't charge but the iPhone does. To top it off the iPhone connects via Bluetooth but I can't make any outgoing calls through the contacts (haven't tried manually dialing a number)....very strange, the joys of learning a new vehicle with technology, I must be getting old because I used to be able to figure stuff like this out!

I was looking at the picture on my iPhone and couldn't tell that the picture was of the tailgate cover and not the removable privacy panel so I really hope that it is the same culprit...it would be odd that we have exact same symptoms caused by two different causes.

Last edited by daders; 08-13-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Closer look at picture
Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I'm not saying it's this but the iPad draws more than the iPhone and the circuit may be protecting itself as far as charging goes.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Just a thought...did you pull up the cover on the floor in the back of the hatch? The panel is designed to fit in there nicely, should you want to leave that open. It might just be sitting there!

There were some pretty significant capability changes in the GT's depending on when they were built when it comes to integration with iPhones, etc. If yours is quite early, it may have limited functionality, and it also depends on which model of iPhone you have. The first big change occurred after 9/10, but each model year afterwards added some capabilities, plus it also depends on whether you have BMW Apps on the vehicle. I don't remember the specific details, since I don't have an iPhone, I didn't care enough to try to remember all of the details.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
There is no spoon

That's the first place I looked Jad! All I found was the screwdriver and tow hook in the pouch. When I brought it up to my sales associate he said they will send one without ever mentioning the hide away so from that response I can reasonably assume it never had it when they received the car. It had been a Florida car and I'm not quite certain how it came to be at their dealership in NC but no worries as long as we get one! It's weird to me the things that pass the CPO process, but I will never buy any pre-owned vehicle without an independent inspection.

As for the phone and ipad I have already forgotten the production month but hopefully there is an easy fix for the device connectivity issue.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
That Guy w/ the Modded GT

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT DINAN Stg 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantzy View Post
I am close to 70,000 miles in my 2010 535i GT with luxury rear seats and never had the sound you described
70K???

I have a 2010 and have barely reached 24,000 yet LOL

BMW 550i GT DINAN Stage 2 w/ Many Mods... Faster than you think.
Hear it here...
And see more photos of it here...

Like my GT? I'm selling it... Click here

CCA Member: 477510
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM
There is no spoon

Luxury rear seating...a bird in the back?

Update:
They found source of the squeak/chirp!! Unfortunately, it took 3 techs simultaneously to find it and even more unfortunate is, we needed the car before they could fix it but at least we know what it is so it will be mentally bearable to deal with until we can bring it back in.

Turns out there is something rubbing in the rear seat entertainment of the passenger seat and if we press on the right hand side slightly below the screen the squeak is easily recreated. My service advisor said this was sometimes found in the X5s for some reason (but not common w/ GTs) which is why it took a while to identify the source, besides being simply difficult since these types of noises are reflected and translated to a seemingly different source.

I'm just happy they know what it is and is easily fixable without needing to source parts! Funny thing is the driver's outside led started flickering the night before the scheduled appt and that will take longer to get the part and apparently they have to take the whole door panel off to get the unit replaced (I guess that makes sense as I wouldn't want it easily removable from the outside for someone to steal).

One last thing, first fill-up today! 16.7mpg, (242mi on 14.5 gal) all in comfort mode but I was definitely driving "spiritedly" as I find it particularly satisfying to see an impatient tailgater in some POS (of course most are compared to this vehicle!) suddenly gone and not able to catch up...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
70K???

I have a 2010 and have barely reached 24,000 yet LOL
My kid plays travel hockey - the GT is our long distance cruiser
Old 01-27-2014, 11:59 AM
There is no spoon

Seat Panel Removal

So the chirping sound returned to our chagrin. This time knowing the source I decided to attack it myself rather than handing it over to the dealer for a possible extended period of time.

Anyway, thought I would post some photos showing how simple it is to remove the rear panels if anyone ever has an issue such as ours. Unfortunately I only took 3 photos since my phone ran out of storage space (too many songs).

Note this applies to vehicles with factory installed rear seat entertainment system.

1. Remove plastic piece that "encases" the rear entertainment screen by lifting up on the screen to reveal 2 torx screws (I already forgot the size, but it's either 20 or 25). Remove screws then lift up on lower portion to release the tab holding it in place then pull the outer upper portions away from the seat back and down as there are three more tabs under the screen that are holding this piece in place. (sorry no pic of this piece)

2. Top panel contains two pressure clips (for lack of a better term) at the top and two hooks at the bottom. Remove the top first by pulling the panel away from the seat back so you can gain access to the clips to squeeze them with a pair of pliers...or just yank really hard and you may get lucky and not damage the plastic holder in the seat back (see close up photo of white plastic piece)
Once these are released simply lift up to remove the panel, but be aware there is an LED light socket attached to this panel that requires removal prior to tossing this piece aside.

3. The bottom panel has the exact same setup as the top panel so follow the same process as #2.

Now...if you have metal on metal chirping noises like we did I discovered the sound is not caused by the clips rubbing against the seat back attachment points. What is happening in our case is the black clips and hooks are attached to the rear panel via a metal holder and have play in them causing the chirping noise. The red arrow indicates the actual source of the chirping noise so I released the clip from its attachment point and covered it with 3 layers of Scotch tape (originally tried felt but the tolerance was too tight). I went overboard and put felt (purchased self adhesive backed felt from fabric section of Wally World for $4.53) everywhere else there was exposed metal that could rub with other metal.

Reassamble in reverse order and make sure your LED is still attached as mine wasn't attached firmly (not sure if I caused that or simply the design).

Easy Peasy!

Name:	toppanelremoved.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	419185

Name:	toppanelfocus.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	419186