Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I saw it at the BMW Welt on a silver M6 Gran Coupe and it didn't look like that in person. It is lighter in value and more purplish. I highly recommend seeing it in person to form your own opinion. With the reorder of my 550i, I changed from the Mocha.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I didn't see the actual car you did, but i know Mocha is not available in the M6 (at least in the states) they do have a BMW Individual color called Canyon Brown which looks simular.

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
I saw it at the BMW Welt on a silver M6 Gran Coupe and it didn't look like that in person. It is lighter in value and more purplish. I highly recommend seeing it in person to form your own opinion. With the reorder of my 550i, I changed from the Mocha.

To what color?

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Black. They had a great concept but the value of the color is too light. It should a rich looking dark brown and it would be ultracool. In daylight it should look like the photos on BMW USA F10 build pages.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 08-28-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i M Sport
Quote:

Is Mocha available on the M6 GC? On BMW USA build your own it does not show it.

I agree it is lighter than the pics posted just above from BMW USA though. But I did not pick up purplish when I saw it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM

It was a European BMW at the Welt so anything is possible. Maybe purplish isn't the right term. Maybe it is best described reddish brown. The big problem with what I saw and in the photos posted here is that it is too light in the daylight. It is defintely the kind of thing should be looked at in person so that each person can form his/her own opinion. It is great concept and I am glad is trying new things with their interiors, although Audi has a similar color.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi

At about minute 4 1/2 of this video there's a slow pan of BMW's new handsome interior: Mocha Nappa Leather.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT Neptune Blue
Quote:
It was a European BMW at the Welt so anything is possible. Maybe purplish isn't the right term. Maybe it is best described reddish brown. The big problem with what I saw and in the photos posted here is that it is too light in the daylight. It is defintely the kind of thing should be looked at in person so that each person can form his/her own opinion. It is great concept and I am glad is trying new things with their interiors, although Audi has a similar color.
It is definitely NOT a light brown. Very dark. The pictures here, including mine make it look lighter than it really is. Its much harder to photograph than I thought. Now that we have some sun here in Italy, I'll try again to get some pictures without fill flash before we head for home this weekend

ED: Aug 20, 2013
2014 BMW 550-GT M-Sport, Imperial Blue, Mocha Nappa, 20" 303M Wheels, Dyn Handling Pkg, Exec Pkg, LED Lighting, Driver Assist Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, B&O

2011 BMW 550GT Neptune Blue. ED Oct 2010
2008 BMW 550i Monaco Blue
2006 BMW R1200GS-ADV
2000 BMW K1200LTC
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post

At about minute 4 1/2 of this video there's a slow pan of BMW's new handsome interior: Mocha Nappa Leather.
That is an accurate rendition of what I saw at the Welt, especially the dashboard. When the sun or bright light hits it, it does not suite my taste. I would like it darker, but that is just me.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750ix msport
Mocha seemed like a great colour when it was first advertised. But now when I see real-life pictures, I'm not much of a fan of it. I think over time it will just be kinda boring.

Retired:
2011 BMW 550ix M-sport
2009 E92 335i M-sport
2006 Acura TL
2004 Mazda 6GT
1987 BMW 325is
Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Mocha seemed like a great colour when it was first advertised. But now when I see real-life pictures, I'm not much of a fan of it. I think over time it will just be kinda boring.
You mean more boring than black- like the most common interior color?

That's okay- most people have strong opinions about colors and that's why car manufacturers make more than one color.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750ix msport
Quote:
You mean more boring than black- like the most common interior color?

That's okay- most people have strong opinions about colors and that's why car manufacturers make more than one color.
Black will never ever go out of style.. Goes great with most trims. Classic and timeless.!
But... I would still want to try a new interior colour one day thou....just don't know when.

Retired:
2011 BMW 550ix M-sport
2009 E92 335i M-sport
2006 Acura TL
2004 Mazda 6GT
1987 BMW 325is
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
I still haven't seen Mocha in person, but the seat and door leather per this video have a rich dark color that is pleasing. I agree with pharding that the plastic parts of the dash that aren't black have a lighter color that is not as nice and a bit too light. Too bad they didn't do a better job of matching to the leather.

This is not enough to cause me to change my order, but I get pharding's perspective.

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post
I still haven't seen Mocha in person, but the seat and door leather per this video have a rich dark color that is pleasing. I agree with pharding that the plastic parts of the dash that aren't black have a lighter color that is not as nice and a bit too light. Too bad they didn't do a better job of matching to the leather.

This is not enough to cause me to change my order, but I get pharding's perspective.
I have seen it and my thoughts agree with yours and pharding's. I understand his point. The one area I am not thrilled with is the brown on the plastic dash parts. Probably would have been nicer leaving that all black. I still plan to order the Mocha b/c I liked the color throughout the rest of the cabin so much.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
Black will never ever go out of style.. Goes great with most trims. Classic and timeless.!
But... I would still want to try a new interior colour one day thou....just don't know when.
I agree with you here. Also, lowest maintenance interior color. I've had a black interior for 7 years- want a change. I must say that another interior color that's very appealing to me from web pics is amaro brown merino leather- custom color not available with 528. Wouldn't want another $2400 upgrade charge anyway.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_Bimmer View Post
I have seen it and my thoughts agree with yours and pharding's. I understand his point. The one area I am not thrilled with is the brown on the plastic dash parts. Probably would have been nicer leaving that all black. I still plan to order the Mocha b/c I liked the color throughout the rest of the cabin so much.
Some of you do pay attention to every nuance that others don't notice. After driving the car around for a while I do think that most of us don't focus on small items such as this.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull21 View Post

Forgive me for repeating a point, but color hues aren't 100% accurate from a picture on the internet displayed on our computer monitors. This sort of thing needs to be seen in person. Bright sunlight and in a dealer's show room and then in a shady area also change the way colors look.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Most of the amateur images, even those from a couple of car dealers linked in this thread, are severely overexposed, making the interiors look much lighter. Look at the black trim areas, they are gray. This is due to all cameras, regardless of cost, being calibrated to 18% gray (mid-tone gray). The photographer needs to understand that an overwhelmingly dark scene will fool a camera into this "make it gray" situation, and will need to apply some negative exposure compensation to counteract this. The people providing pictures, so far, are not knowledgeable, IMO, about this issue. When I finally see Mocha at my dealer, I will take some accurate images and post them.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-29-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
PLEASE bring back Cinnamon on the M sport
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
PLEASE bring back Cinnamon on the M sport
looking at those pictures/videos mocha seems to be a darker version of cinnamon. but what i dont like is all that weird stitching on the seat. i do however like how when you extend the thigh support it's leather inside instead of hard plastic. i also do like adjustable side bolsters.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Most of the amateur images, even those from a couple of car dealers linked in this thread, are severely overexposed, making the interiors look much lighter. Look at the black trim areas, they are gray. This is due to all cameras, regardless of cost, being calibrated to 18% gray (mid-tone gray). The photographer needs to understand that an overwhelmingly dark scene will fool a camera into this "make it gray" situation, and will need to apply some negative exposure compensation to counteract this. The people providing pictures, so far, are not knowledgeable, IMO, about this issue. When I finally see Mocha at my dealer, I will take some accurate images and post them.
Good points. I know when I take pics with my iPad or iPhone the colors can be way off. Same with my digital cameras- I'm no photographer.

I do want to point out that the video is professionally done and the series of pics I posted are professionally done copied from a BMW website. The pics do look like they've been touched up. It goes back to what most of us have been saying- to see true colors they must be seen in person. Even the dealer brochure which certainly is professionally done has colors of cars that are misrepresented in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 535i
This looks pretty accurate, based on the blacks. Nice car! Love the new sport seats.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882620
Old 08-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS18661 View Post
This looks pretty accurate, based on the blacks. Nice car! Love the new sport seats.
Not too bad. The 2nd one has a greenish-tinge, the 3rd is overexposed. But overall, it seems from what I've seen, and that video is probably a good bit accurate, it's darker and browner than Cinnamon, which is what we would expect from the name of the color. Actually, I'm glad it's not as dark as what the BYO on the bmwusa site is showing -- there it is almost a black.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Good points. I know when I take pics with my iPad or iPhone the colors can be way off. Same with my digital cameras- I'm no photographer.

I do want to point out that the video is professionally done and the series of pics I posted are professionally done copied from a BMW website. The pics do look like they've been touched up. It goes back to what most of us have been saying- to see true colors they must be seen in person. Even the dealer brochure which certainly is professionally done has colors of cars that are misrepresented in my opinion.
I don't think I was targeting the ones you had posted, just some of the others in general. Surprisingly the ones from those dealer links are pretty bad. IMO, iphones and ipads are like going back to Kodak disc cameras -- they do basic stuff, and hey, you get what you pay for. "X" number of megapixels doesn't say anything about the capability of capturing quality images. It's sad to me that so many people are resorting to these "all in one" devices and expect to get decent pictures. On a 3" screen they might look nice -- try enlarging one to even 5x7 and see what happens. Again, convenience unfortunately is trumping quality. Yes, I'm a photography "snob", but there is no comparison to real, quality equipment -- and more importantly -- knowing how to use it. BTW, most decent small digital "point-and-shoot" cameras have custom capabilities, such as exposure compensation. It might be helpful for individuals to check out these details if they have an interest.

Last edited by markl53; 08-30-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Here are some pics of mine. Ventilated front seats dont have any stitching on the back part of the seat. I tried to color correct as much as i could so it looks like it does in real life. Its pretty close IMO. Its a great color in person, it does change shades in different light, which is pretty cool actually.

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richk582 View Post
Here are some pics of mine. Ventilated front seats dont have any stitching on the back part of the seat. I tried to color correct as much as i could so it looks like it does in real life. Its pretty close IMO. Its a great color in person, it does change shades in different light, which is pretty cool actually.
Looks outstanding IMHO! Thanks for sharing. Looks fairly close to when I saw Mocha in person. The fact that the interior changes shades in different light would seem to suit both DGM and CBM well since both these exterior colors do that as well.