Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
LED lighting Package..

All...In a dilemma...To get or not to get the LED Lighting Package Option.

Any recommendations? Is it worth the $1900 for LED Lights...(I really don't need the automatic high beams)...

Decisions...

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E84 / E70
I don't think it's worth it but I might change my mind. I'd rather get B&O sound.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: German
Why wouldn't you get it? If I got the F15, that would be the first option to check.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Why wouldn't you get it? If I got the F15, that would be the first option to check.
Why is that?

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Re: LED lighting Package..

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Why is that?
Same reason why I think the Bi-Xenon option package is required on the F30s. It makes the car look better and I appericate the technology behind them. A halogen F30 just reeks of cheapness. I understand BiXenons are standard on the X5, but these are $60k+ cars. If you aren't getting all the cool tech options, don't buy the car.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d
~$2k is a lot of cheddar for light candy (yea, i know it has purpose). I know it's chump change for most but it's a lot of beans if you ask me. That being said, I'll probably have regrets not ticking that option.

Last edited by rickp; 08-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp View Post
~$2k is a lot of cheddar for light candy (yea, i know it has purpose). I know it's chump change for most but it's a lot of beans if you ask me. That being said, I'll probably have regrets not ticking that option.
Yeah, I would regret it down the road. I feel that way with the HUD. My CA said it wasn't that great, so I believed him. Now I kick myself for not ticking that option all the time

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I would get it. Saw it on 6 series gran coupe and it looks terrific. For next few years it will have a wow factor...not bad for 2K....
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
Quote:
Yeah, I would regret it down the road. I feel that way with the HUD. My CA said it wasn't that great, so I believed him. Now I kick myself for not ticking that option all the time

- Sent from Galaxy S4
I added HUD to my order 1 week after initially placing it. I don't think i'll ever get another car without it
Retired: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranr View Post
I would get it. Saw it on 6 series gran coupe and it looks terrific. For next few years it will have a wow factor...not bad for 2K....
x2. It looks amazing on the 6
Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
The LED Lighting package is only for exterior headlights? I saw few pictures of various interior lighting (blue, white, red etc colors) a.k.a ambiance lighting. So, I am wondering if the package includes both exterior and interior lighting.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
The LED Lighting package is only for exterior headlights? I saw few pictures of various interior lighting (blue, white, red etc colors) a.k.a ambiance lighting. So, I am wondering if the package includes both exterior and interior lighting.
Order Code 563 Ambiance lighting is standard on every US F15.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5
HUD and the lights are totally different kind of options. HUD is used by yourself for convenience. Lights though, is only for others to see it. How often do you see your own car's lights? I see them only under two scenarios: 1. I have to use the remote key to open the passenger's door as well (and that's when I am facing the car). 2. When I park facing a glass wall.

Quote:

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 08-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixma View Post
HUD and the lights are totally different kind of options. HUD is used by yourself for convenience. Lights though, is only for others to see it. How often do you see your own car's lights? I see them only under two scenarios: 1. I have to use the remote key to open the passenger's door as well (and that's when I am facing the car). 2. When I park facing a glass wall.
Uhh.... You use your lights in the dark. How are the LEDs only for other people?

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Uhh.... You use your lights in the dark. How are the LEDs only for other people?

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Oh come on. Can't believe you are arguing this. It is not "Light or no light" decision. We are talking about different flavors of light.

Look at the above comments. The argument for the LED lights is mainly the look. Is there any proof LED lights improves visibility over Xenon? At least I didn't find any, or find people care enough to discuss about it.

Last edited by pixma; 08-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM

they are meant for look (primarily). Every manufacturer is offering these lights. BMW charges real fortune for Full LED Lights. Please note, the fortune you pay as an upgrade. I think Xenon is upgrade for E70 like HiFi Sound System, both are now standard on F15.

May be later sometime, we can get OEM LED Lights to replace Xenon, if at all required.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Same reason why I think the Bi-Xenon option package is required on the F30s. It makes the car look better and I appericate the technology behind them. A halogen F30 just reeks of cheapness. I understand BiXenons are standard on the X5, but these are $60k+ cars. If you aren't getting all the cool tech options, don't buy the car.

- Sent from Galaxy S4
some of us get BMWs because of driver dynamics. Because if its only the gadgets you want then there are a lot of choices, most costing less.

For me the Bi-xenons are just fine, you can't compared the Bi-Xenons to the halogens because then you are also talking safety. the upgrade in lighting intensity from the Bi-Xenons to LED is not worth the 1,900 dollars they are asking from my perspective.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
some of us get BMWs because of driver dynamics. Because if its only the gadgets you want then there are a lot of choices, most costing less.
What driving dynamics? BMW has been outclassed recently. None of the F Series cars drive well. The F15 is almost guaranteed to drive worse than the E70.

These are high-end luxury cars, not some stripped-out Porsche GT3. If driving dynamics were paramount, they wouldn't be offering all these tech. options. Not to mention, this is an X5, not some track monster.

Quote:
For me the Bi-xenons are just fine, you can't compared the Bi-Xenons to the halogens because then you are also talking safety. the upgrade in lighting intensity from the Bi-Xenons to LED is not worth the 1,900 dollars they are asking from my perspective.
My experience with the LED headlights is only with Audi so far. They provide a much broader, whiter beam than the Bi-Xenons. They reach further also. You are getting better lighting performance from the LEDs. (at least in Audi's case) They only charge $1,400 for the option. To retrofit the same headlights to a BiX model is over $8k.

Some other interesting tidbits about LEDs. They are supposed to be more reliable and last much much longer than Xenons. They provide a white light, compared to the blue-ish hue of a Xenon bulb. Above all, they don't suffer "fade" like Bi-Xenons do. Go look at early LS600hLs (2008) or the first R8 V10s. They all still provide perfect light. You can't say the same about the equivalent Bi-Xenon lamps.

If someone is truly hung up on a $1,900 option on a $60k+ car, they can't afford the car in the first place. Simple as that.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 08-29-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
If someone is truly hung up on a $1,900 option on a $60k+ car, they can't afford the car in the first place. Simple as that.
Don't know about this one... Just because someone isn't willing to waste $1900 on an option they don't care for doesn't necessarily mean they cannot afford a $60K car!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
Don't know about this one... Just because someone isn't willing to waste $1900 on an option they don't care for doesn't necessarily mean they cannot afford a $60K car!
Well said. It's not about affordability rather value for money.
Would you raise the same question If BMW asks $19K for same lights?
Even a millionaire draw a line somewhere when buying a car for his own.
I am sure everyone visiting this forum balance and prioritize their options or upgrades to meet both price and necessities.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
What driving dynamics? BMW has been outclassed recently. None of the F Series cars drive well. The F15 is almost guaranteed to drive worse than the E70.

These are high-end luxury cars, not some stripped-out Porsche GT3. If driving dynamics were paramount, they wouldn't be offering all these tech. options. Not to mention, this is an X5, not some track monster.

My experience with the LED headlights is only with Audi so far. They provide a much broader, whiter beam than the Bi-Xenons. They reach further also. You are getting better lighting performance from the LEDs. (at least in Audi's case) They only charge $1,400 for the option. To retrofit the same headlights to a BiX model is over $8k.

Some other interesting tidbits about LEDs. They are supposed to be more reliable and last much much longer than Xenons. They provide a white light, compared to the blue-ish hue of a Xenon bulb. Above all, they don't suffer "fade" like Bi-Xenons do. Go look at early LS600hLs (2008) or the first R8 V10s. They all still provide perfect light. You can't say the same about the equivalent Bi-Xenon lamps.

I Don't care about LEDs lasting longer I have always leased.

I think the Xenons are great, again I don't doubt the LEDs are better but how much better? I always look for value in everything I purchase. I am not the type of guy that buys cars to get "noticed" or show off.

As for drivers dynamic I don't drive an 5 series my 335 F30 with the DHP is AWESOME. I can't think of many cars in its price range (especially with the good lease deals) that would beat it. Maybe the S4 but I just don't trust the reliability of an Audi. The X5 IMO is a great handling and engineered SUV and that is why I have one. Not because of the "gadgets".

As for your last statement, it makes no sense to me. This is why these are options, if it was included as std and the SUV was 2K more i still would buy it. But since i can choose then why spend the extra money on something that I think, to me at least, its not worth the money.

Last edited by windsor027; 08-30-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixma View Post
Let's face it, every time you see one on the road that has the LED light and yours don't, you will regret you didn't get it.

That's why full LED light is the first tick on my X6.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
LED lighting Package..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhao View Post
Let's face it, every time you see one on the road that has the LED light and yours don't, you will regret you didn't get it.

+1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:

but...but you save a whole $1,900!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Xenon headlights now standard on F15 does come with LED halogen ring. I think for looks you are already taken care of.