Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
A fixer upper!

Hello all, just wanted to know your thoughts on purchasing a 1988 535is and what I need to be leery of. It has 270k miles, great paint, aftermarket wheels and some minor service repairs recently performed. However the dash is completely cracked, the upholstery looks like mountain lions lived in it for a summer and the headliner needs replacing. What's my play on this as the owner is asking $4,500 for the car. Should I pursue and at what price? What will a new interior cost me, dashboard, headliner etc..? I love the cars exterior and am hoping the mechanic gives it a thumbs up when i take it in for a check over.

Thank you for your help!

Daniel
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringMoneyWith View Post
However the dash is completely cracked, the upholstery looks like mountain lions lived in it for a summer and the headliner needs replacing. What will a new interior cost me, dashboard, headliner etc..?r.

Thank you for your help!

Daniel
Hi Daniel, as to the miles, 270,000 is not to much for a m30b34. Now the cracked dash is normal, a good used uncracked one will run you from 200 to 300. The interior cost depends on what color it is and if you want to stay with the sport seats that should be part of the 535is. I have sold complete interiors for as little as 250 to 500. The headliner is a major pain to replace. You have to take out both the windshield and the rear window. Also there are little metal rods that go across the top. I would ask about the front end and the last time it was replaced, and take a look at the subframe bushings.

Andy