Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Yeah, you're right on the 8hrs.....I was thinking Miami but remembering Key Largo to Orlando which is 5 hours one way.

I would have thought there'd be more organized AutoX in South Florida than Central Florida, but who knew? LOL

Last edited by dc_wright; 09-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Since everyone seems to like the insanity of shifter karts, here's video from when we were at Brookesville Airport a couple weeks ago. One of our instructors in his kart.

Just past the Chicago box on the outbound leg is where I had the big tank slapper that set off the roll over protection. Unfortunately I don't have any videos from this event because when I put the GoPro camera in the case 3 days earlier I accidentally turned it on....
Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Hey All, an update. Looks like we missed our chance at Summit Point. The other clubs have November and October booked. Since I didn't know if we had 100% confirmation of at least 10 people, we're going to have to wait until next year. I was told it would be great to know by February when we want to set up an event. March and April usually works great as not everyone has anything booked by then. Worst times are in May, June, and July to book an event since most clubs are ready to go.

Aside from that, had some insane fun on the Shenandoah Track at Summit Point this weekend. Two days of fun!! I even pumped in some 100 octane and good lord my engine came alive!!! But at $8.85 a gallon... I won't be doing that again any time soon. LOL!! Suffice to say, I saw where I need to work on and need to get over my fear of the "Hook" section of the track since it has a blind apex. It really throws your mind off when you're used to seeing the next apex, but C'est La Vis. Usually people who learn on this track are going to be well ahead of the game on other tracks. I also learned some things about my car when my instructor took my car for a spin on a couple laps. In the right hands, THE CAR IS DIALED!!! The instructor was even surprised at how well the car was responding, even when he borked an apex when he was overtaking someone. His time: 1.09 around the track. My time: 2.01. LOOOL!! It's OK, practice, practice, practice. Didn't cook my brakes, over heat the engine, or FUBAR my tires. I even kept the stock pressures at cold: 33 front, 36 rear. When hot: 38 front, 42 rear. You guys are going to love this track. But I will warn you that this track is very intimidating, especially if you are not familiar with banked turns.

Oh, and the engine is purring like a kitten now. After all that hard driving, it really loosened up a ton of crap in my engine. But then again, I also used some seafoam in the car as well. Today, oil change time!

By the way, I wanted to ask: does anyone know of the tumbler fix? It disables steering wheel lock when ignition is off and key is in. Apparently my wheel locks and was told that is a malfunction. The concern is if your car goes WOT and you cut the car off, the steering wheel is not allowed to lock while the key is in. I got a waiver for this time, but next time, I will not be allowed to attend if that tumbler is not fixed. But I don't know where to look to disable it. I thought all cars did that when ignition is off. Guess I was wrong.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Too bad we missed it. It looks like my car will be ready, however my new job has asked me not to take much time off for the first 6 months, so I don't think I could've made it anyway. I'm definitely down for an event next spring though, hopefully I'll have a new HG and maybe cams by then.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Too bad we missed it. It looks like my car will be ready, however my new job has asked me not to take much time off for the first 6 months, so I don't think I could've made it anyway. I'm definitely down for an event next spring though, hopefully I'll have a new HG and maybe cams by then.
Make sure you do the power steering hose modification and the ignition tumbler fix. They won't allow you on otherwise. The steering hose is from an E28 5 series. The ignition tumbler fix is something I am looking for right now.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
I dont have an issue with my ignition, it locks when i remove the key, and I dont know what PS fix you're talking about. I've been cleared to track with NASA before
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
I dont have an issue with my ignition, it locks when i remove the key, and I dont know what PS fix you're talking about. I've been cleared to track with NASA before
The "fix" is removing the current hose from the cooling coil and putting on some slack to compensate for the engine sway when making hard turns. Since the Shenandoah Track is very technical, they don't want people's power steering hoses popping off and spilling onto the flag and red flag/black flag the track. It's very easy to do actually and only took me 15 minutes.

And yes, you have to do it even if you have Polyurethane and Solid bushings as well. And no, don't ask. It was just told to me to do it, and that was that. No further discussion was presented. I just did it, and moved on.

And how can you fix the ignition tumbler? I know it is in the steering column, but I don't know what to remove or fix! I didn't see it in Robert Bentley's book either. I saw a reference of it in a Hayne's manual, but didn't go in much further than that.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
By the way, I wanted to ask: does anyone know of the tumbler fix? It disables steering wheel lock when ignition is off and key is in. Apparently my wheel locks and was told that is a malfunction. The concern is if your car goes WOT and you cut the car off, the steering wheel is not allowed to lock while the key is in. I got a waiver for this time, but next time, I will not be allowed to attend if that tumbler is not fixed. But I don't know where to look to disable it. I thought all cars did that when ignition is off. Guess I was wrong.
That's not a malfunction. That's how ALL cars were made when our E36s were built. You turn off the key, the column locks. It was part of the anti-theft system. That's part of the scary part of driving when the lock link is broken but it still cranks. You never know when the column lock will engage while you're driving!

You'll have to disassemble the column and remove the spring-loaded pin that drops into the slot in the column shaft to disable the lock. It sounds complicated, but it will be obvious when you get in there.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
And how can you fix the ignition tumbler? I know it is in the steering column, but I don't know what to remove or fix! I didn't see it in Robert Bentley's book either. I saw a reference of it in a Hayne's manual, but didn't go in much further than that.
I never heard of this being a requirement before either. I've been through SCCA track tech with my car and they check for a positive throttle return mechanism (an independent return spring) which just about everything has had since the '70s, but nothing about disabling the steering column lock. I don't remember this being listed on the NASA or CHIN tech check lists either......
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I never heard of this being a requirement before either. I've been through SCCA track tech with my car and they check for a positive throttle return mechanism (an independent return spring) which just about everything has had since the '70s, but nothing about disabling the steering column lock. I don't remember this being listed on the NASA or CHIN tech check lists either......
Well, it was required. The test they performed was my car was running. I drove up, got out of the car, and the tech got in. He then shut the engine off (put it in position 0), but did not remove the key. He turned the wheel, and lock. I failed the tech but they gave me a warning and waiver for it. But if I return and the lock is not resolved, I will be DQ'ed. The reasoning behind it is if your engine gets stuck on WOT and it is pushing you off course, people will tend to cut off the engine and then turn the wheels straight. But if you turn off the engine (key still in), your wheel should not lock. If it does, it will cause unwanted situations.

The 95 M3 was labeled with "malfunctioning steering lock mechanism when engine is shut off. Steering wheel locks. Must replace/modify ignition tumbler to prevent steering wheel lock. Advise student on fix/removal of lock from tumbler. Waiver administered and noted for this event only."
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Weird, you must have a broken part somewhere in your ignition tumbler or steering column, unless the OBD1 cars were different in this regard. Mine doesn't lock the wheel until the key is physically removed from the ignition.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Weird, you must have a broken part somewhere in your ignition tumbler or steering column, unless the OBD1 cars were different in this regard. Mine doesn't lock the wheel until the key is physically removed from the ignition.
Well, that's what I need to confirm. I can't find a How-To on this (unless I am searching wrong) on how to disable this or if this is specific to OBD 1 cars only.

I had an excellent instructor and found out he lives right near me (10 mins away from my house). I want to keep working with him since he was an amazing teacher. His physics background helped a ton as well (I was a mechanical engineering student before I made a bone-headed move to Computer Science).
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 93 Dinan S3, 325is base
here is a real simple way to DIY:
http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=16151
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

I'm definitely OBDII and I just went out and checked mine. When I turn mine to the off position (the engine shuts off) I can still turn the wheel. When I turn it the rest of the way back to home position the steering still locks with the key in the ignition.
I'm going to try the E46 tonight when the wife gets home to see what it does just out of curiosity........
I might try the Taco too just to get some Toyota flavor into the debate, but I think it's going to lock too with the key in.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordlierPie7781 View Post
Sir, the DIY is my savior and you are the hero. I found some horror stories of the spring "really" malfunctioning and keeping people stranded on the road. Definitely don't want to experience that. I will go ahead and pop this spring out.

Oh man, can't wait for my next track day! WOOP WOOP! Hopefully I can do better now that I learned on a more advanced track.

I really hate blind apexes.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I'm definitely OBDII and I just went out and checked mine. When I turn mine to the off position (the engine shuts off) I can still turn the wheel. When I turn it the rest of the way back to home position the steering still locks with the key in the ignition.
I'm going to try the E46 tonight when the wife gets home to see what it does just out of curiosity........
I might try the Taco too just to get some Toyota flavor into the debate, but I think it's going to lock too with the key in.
Hahah! Taco!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 93 Dinan S3, 325is base
Quote:
Sir, the DIY is my savior and you are the hero. I found some horror stories of the spring "really" malfunctioning and keeping people stranded on the road. Definitely don't want to experience that. I will go ahead and pop this spring out.

Oh man, can't wait for my next track day! WOOP WOOP! Hopefully I can do better now that I learned on a more advanced track.

I really hate blind apexes.
Not a problem at all, i did this on my first E36, but i did more reserh into it and found exactly where the spring is and skipped the paper clip part of it.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Welp, the Taco definitely doesn't lock until the key is removed and you can't turn the ignition to the "0" position with it in any gear position except Park.

The E36 is supposed to be the same per the OM, but it definitely turn to the "0" position with the car in gear and moving.

From the OM:

Your vehicle is equipped with an interlock;
this means that the ignition key
can not be turned into position 0 and
removed until the selector lever is in
position P.
Furthermore, the selector lever is locked
in position P when the ignition key is in
position 0 or removed from the ignition
switch.
To turn the key back into position 0 or
remove it, move the selector lever into
position P first.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Don, the interlock solenoid on the E36 is either DOA or disconnected.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
D'oh, You kids!

I'm leery of that spring pull fix. The pin is still in there, and can still work it's way into the lock plate. I know it would be super-unusual, but it's still possible. Better to remove the spring AND the pin.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: '94 325i
So I drove another e36 325i today...it was a dog on acceleration in comparison to mine.
However, it had a higher topend and liked the highway better then mine. It's stock 94 Manual Transmission.
Mine is manual...I think the difference is mine may have the auto diff which I believe was a 3.91 and the manual stock is a 2.93 (correct me if im wrong)
So i'd imagine with mine if it's got the 3.91 it'd be best to keep the current configuration for autox purposes.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Yep, stock was 2.93. The auto tranny diff is 3.91 and that should be excellent for autoX. Not so great on the hiway though LOL.

Here's a table with all the gear and diff ratios:

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm
Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: '94 325i
lucky me, 95% of my driving is 80 on the highway LMFAO
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Yeah, how does it feel to be spinning 4500 RPM when cruising?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Back on the topic of the column lock, I tested mine out after work today, and the steering wheel definitely stays unlocked until you physically remove the key. Wonder why Harry's is different.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback