Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Re: The "Official" E36 AutoX & Track Day Thread

That's odd. Elvira locks on the zero position, Bebe doesn't until the key is removed.

Sent from my MB860 using BimmerApp mobile app

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
That's odd. Elvira locks on the zero position, Bebe doesn't until the key is removed.

Sent from my MB860 using BimmerApp mobile app
This is definitely a mystery...

But if I remove the spring, how would I remove the pin as well, without damaging the assembly on the steering column? And Horn has a point. If that pin is still there, it can still get loose and catch. I spoke to the NJ BMW CCA group about this and they said they haven't had any issues about that happening after the spring was removed. I guess they are being extra careful about one thing and then neglecting the other? Seems odd. But they are the most strict group I've ever run with. And that is a good thing for safety, not a good thing after you prepped the car and go there only to find out I was a millimeter away from being DQ'ed to run.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 93 Dinan S3, 325is base
well, the thing is it is spring loaded to push up. you remove the spring and it will no longer have the power needed to push the pin in and lock the column. i suppose if you flip it on its lid it can fall back in, but other issues should be jumping to the top of the list.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 AM
BMW CCA Member

Here are some pics from the track:

The most awesome 190E Cosworth I'd seen. Spanking people and taking names. Couldn't keep up with the S54 E30s there, but did damage some Egos from the E90 M3s. LOL!!

Mis-shift and cost me a good half second, right after the blind apex that was giving me trouble all weekend.

E46 330ci with S52 drop in and super charger came in too hot and performed a very late apex. Here I come!

Bye bye E46!

Goin to get groceries...

750Li out accelerated me... Yikes!!

Subaru BRZ fail... outside of its element. Holding up traffic...

This is why you can't FUBAR the Nordschleiff. There went my small lead.

Baby resting after a decent run.

Way too fun!
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Great Pics Harry!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: '09 128i | '97 M3
Welp, I'm signed up for Time Trials at the NASA VIR event in October... time to throw tires and brakes on this car and see how badly I can get my ass handed to me

Harry, those are two very odd tech inspection requirements. NASA checks nothing of the sort. Which group did you run with at Summit? In any case, the pix look like you had a great time! I really, really need to get out on Shenandoah. Always wanted to when I had the Miata and never did. At least the M3 is nearly as nimble.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Re: The "Official" E36 AutoX & Track Day Thread

Harry if you ever decide to sell your LTW wing, I'm first in line. Lol

Nice pics!

Instagram | @randytheus
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Good stuff, Harry! Try working on trail braking.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Good stuff, Harry! Try working on trail braking.
Oh I already have. On turn 20, you have to use trail braking or else you're going to overshoot the apex. Right now I am working on perfecting throttle braking.

If you guys go on the Shenandoah, look at the "Hook". It has a blind apex that was getting the best of me all freakin weekend. Whether I look in the general area or not, it was getting me. But hey, that's why I need to keep practicing.

As far as the LTW wing, here is where I got it from:

http://www.abrahamsmotorsports.com/e36.html

I got this wing for $300 because Mel was just starting to produce these. I opted in to test out the fitment of the wing and if it will suffer the same sag as a lot of the eBay or VAC LTW repo wings. Suffice to say, after two years, the wing still has its composure from day 1. Highly recommended. Further more, it is an exact replica, right down to the removable risers. Couldn't be happier. And yes, it is functional. You can feel the wind wall when going down the back straight at Shenandoah as you lift, turn, and gas into a corner. I am very happy with it. I doubt I will ever sell it, considering how cheap I got. But also, a lot of people recommended I get the Reiger lip to balance the car further in terms of downforce. It compliments the LTW wing perfectly (or so I'm told, haven't verified).

As far as the steering lock requirements, here is the email I got:

"The proper functioning of the column lock is that it should not lock until the key is removed. On your car, at event Tech it was noted that your E36's column locks when the key is turned off but left inserted.

The reason we are concerned about this is that in the event of a malfunction on the track [eg: stuck throttle], your first reaction might be to turn off the ignition. On your car, this would result in the column locking and the loss of steering - not a good thing!

Any shop catering to BMW enthusiasts should be able to either repair or remove/disable the column lock. BMWCCA Club Racing rules require that steering-column locks be disabled, so any E36 racer should be able to offer advice on this subject should you choose to have the lock disabled."

And yes, I did ask about a throttle return spring and it is not deemed as enough in case of vapor lock (didn't know that was a concern nowadays with the advanced computerized fuel injection systems we have). Now I know if you throw enough G's when turning hard you can starve the pump of fuel, but whatever. I'll comply.

Anyways, I am glad you guys enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed being on the track. I am not kidding when I say how much fun this track is. Now I will warn some people that this track can be intimidating at first, but it is extremely fun once you get the hang of it. It is an advanced track, but so long as you keep calm and know your car, you will be fine.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 05 M3 ZCP,04 z4,01 325iT
Hey, what did we decide for Shenandoah anyways?

And blind Apexes (Apexii?) are scary, there are 3 at Mid Ohio, one at the top of a short but steep hill. I almost lost my cookies several times on that one!

"Don't be fooled, she drives with the aggression of a scorned 17 year old"
Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post

And blind Apexes (Apexii?) are scary, there are 3 at Mid Ohio, one at the top of a short but steep hill. I almost lost my cookies several times on that one!
It isn't going to happen this year. We're going to have to start planning for next year.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:

No bueno for this year. All the dates are already reserved into next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post

And yes, I did ask about a throttle return spring and it is not deemed as enough in case of vapor lock (didn't know that was a concern nowadays with the advanced computerized fuel injection systems we have). Now I know if you throw enough G's when turning hard you can starve the pump of fuel, but whatever. I'll comply.
The vapor lock happens if you get the fuel rail so hot the gasoline is converting to vapor. Used to happen on older FI systems that just had a pressurized rail. Newer systems like our E36s have a pressurized loop so there's a constant flow of fuel through the fuel rail and back to the gas tank. I don't think you can get it hot enough to cause vapor lock without having a whole list of other bad things already happening first. If you're running a minimal fuel load in the gas tank you can get fuel starvation on long sweeping curves. On a manual tranny engine you'll still get power steering pressure unless you push in the clutch in which case your steering will feel like it's locked. Both of these cases cause the engine to shut down, not a WOT issue.

It's their track and their rules so they can make them what they want. Just seems they're going farther than the other racing bodies do.....
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

You guys might want to look into CHIN motorsports. They do a lot of PDX events and they use three tracks in the north east. (Watknis Glen, VIR, Mid-Ohio)
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
You guys might want to look into CHIN motorsports. They do a lot of PDX events and they use three tracks in the north east. (Watknis Glen, VIR, Mid-Ohio)
VIR is in southern VA... close to North Carolina border. WG is where I hope to go one day, same with Ohio.

VIR is like the Mercedes Benz of race tracks. So clean, so beautiful, great country side, great facilities, man... makes Summit Point look like the back streets of Hollywood.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM

From where I stand its all "north" LOL. VIR would be a track close enough for me to make a track day, but unfortunately they have a local rule that cabrios must have a 4 point roll bar, so I'm out on that. MO and WG are just too far to go for one day or even a weekend on the track. I'd need to maybe combine MO with a visit to the wife's family to get the kitchen pass for that one.....
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM

You can combine Mid-Ohio with a visit from Jen. If needed, crashing for free at Jen's Mom's house....AND a visit to the BEST amusement park in America, Cedar Point.

Oh, and a fantabulous race track too.

What more could anyone possibly want?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
You can combine Mid-Ohio with a visit from Jen. If needed, crashing for free at Jen's Mom's house....AND a visit to the BEST amusement park in America, Cedar Point.

Oh, and a fantabulous race track too.

What more could anyone possibly want?
That might work! It's not so much the cost though, it's the 2000 mile round trip drive. 2 full days of driving, 1 day (maybe 2) on the track, 2 full days of driving. Linda's family lives east of Cleveland so if I did this we'd combine it with a couple day visit there too to make it worth the drive time. Only 2 hrs from Willoughby to Lexington.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM

http://www.buckeyebmwcca.org/

:-)

Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
"Open-top cars will not be permitted in the schools."

:-(
Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
"Open-top cars will not be permitted in the schools."

:-(
I think that's pretty common, isn't it?

If the ZCPs didn't have a brake fade risk, we could co-drive Cookie. Shall I ship Snowy for you?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yep, it's the same out here, too.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM

It's a BMWCCA rule across the board. The regions and locals use BMWCCA liability insurance coverage and their policy doesn't cover cabrios. PCA only allows boxter cabrios because their pop ups already stickup quite a ways, everything else has to have roll bars. SCCA and CHIN allow cabrios with factory roll over protection for PDX, but not for anything wheel to wheel, and NASA only allows cabrios with fixed roll bars. Then there are some tracks that have a no cabrios without roll bars rule regardless of the body that's putting on the event.
We're just so discriminated against.........
Jen, I appreciate the offer on snowy, but I'd be so afraid she'd get broken again I'd probably be an impediment on the track.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 AM
BMW CCA Member

Hey guys,

Looks like I may have a very expensive repair order to do...

Just got another email from the Sr. Tech for the NJ BMW CCA events:

"As for the procedure you cite, it appears that it removes the spring that applies the column lock, leaving the rest of the mechanism in place. As a NJ Chapter official, for liability reasons I can neither approve nor recommend any particular method of disabling or removing the column lock. I can tell you that on my 2002 I disassembled the column and removed the entire lock mechanism. [BMWCCA Club Racing national rules require that column locks be removed or defeated.]

At driver-school event Tech, we only verify that the column does not lock with the key left inserted and turned to the OFF position. We do not care whether the lock is in place and operating properly or whether it has been removed or defeated. We leave the repair vs. remove vs. defeat decision to you.
I hope I have adequately addressed your questions. Please do not hesitate to email me on this or any other car-preparation topic."

So I guess removing the spring from the locking mechanism is not allowed either... Ugh... I need coffee to calm down. Not a good morning...

Here is what the lock looks like:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=32&fg=30

Last edited by hnaz; 09-15-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
So I guess removing the spring from the locking mechanism is not allowed either... Ugh... I need coffee to calm down. Not a good morning...

The way I red that he is saying that as long as when the key is off they can turn the wheel you are good. Which means your spring method would work.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 09-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Smooth Operator

Mein Auto: '98 BMW 323is
Nailing slaloms on banked curves is a lot trickier than I thought it would be.

'98 BMW 323is
'87 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R