Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Transmission failure? 3200 miles on it

Can't happen at a worse time! Can't fu**ing believe this. I'm supposed to go on a 1400 mile road trip tomorrow morning at 7am. Start the car and dash shows transmission failure. It won't go into drive, reverse or neutral. Car starts up fine. Worst of all a tow truck can't come and get the car as its parked in my back yard and a tow truck won't fit back there. So whoever comes must know how to put it in neutral so we can push the car out of the shared driveway which is really tight and involves a turn! Hotels are booked and can't be canceled. Im sooo pissed off at the moment. About to lose it. Called road side assistance and of course it's no help at the moment as everything is closed. I'm almost positive it's a computer issue as car drove perfectly fine yesterday. Any ideas would help

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by guyver626; 09-07-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Ouch. OK, the only way to get the X3 into neutral is by tightening a setscrew on the side of the transmission. An underbody panel most be removed in order to get to the setscrew.

Transmission Emergency Release

In the event of a fault affecting the powertrain, the transmission parking lock can be
unlocked mechanically and put in "Neutral" by means of a set screw/stop (adjusting
screw) that acts on the gear selector lever. In addition to the mechanical transmission
parking lock emergency release, the procedure to put the vehicle in "Neutral" can also
be done electronically via ISTA.

So, unless you have tools and a jack, plus jackstands and wheel chocks for safety, you're not getting it into neutral. Based on the error, I sure wouldn't want to be starting out on a 1400 mile roadtrip with this vehicle.

The best idea that I have is to call the dealership as soon as Service opens in the AM, tell them exactly what is going on, and ask how they can 1) Help you get your X3 to the dealership for diagnostics, and 2) Help you salvage your trip.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks. I guess I have no choice at the moment. So instead of getting there early ill get there real late. For such a expensive car this is embarrassing!
This sort of thing is only supposed to happen in the movies or something. Any regular day I could care less and wouldn't be this pissed off but to waste vacation days and to be almost packed and ready to go and hotels cant be canceled! Car was washed and waxed, even bought a tire patch kit and air compressor. This was the last thing on my mind! I'm hoping I can restart the car later and it was just a computer glitch upon restart the computer will reset the problem. I tried 30 mins ago and it didnt go away. I seriously can't believe my luck.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM

It may be the transmission itself, which has its own mechanical/electrical mechatronic controller, an integral component of the transmission.

If the dealer doesn't suggest it themselves then suggest to the dealer that it sounds like an error code of this type might take extensive time (days) to diagnose and correct (parts coming from Germany and all), and that an appropriate loaner for the duration of your trip would be appreciated.

I know that you're fuming right now, but remember the old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Give 'em an opportunity to show you what excellent BMW customer service is. If that doesn't work then you can always try an alternative tactic later.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks again for the words of advice. I'll try to remain calm but I expect BMW will resolve this issue properly. I value family time as this is my first family trip with my first child whom is 8 months old. My brother was supposed to come with me on this trip and i was also picking up a friend on the way back. So 5 people total for this trip. I reallllly was not expecting this to happen. Any other day fine, I can live with it and deal with this issue. But to be the day prior of my road trip vacation for this to happen is truly insane.

I usually prepare for the worst when planning anything. Tires, air pressure checked, all fluids checked, tire repair kit with air compressor, even bought a gallon of BMW anti freeze and and extra quart of BMW oil just in case. Washed and waxed the car. Made a list of everything to bring. You name it, I did it all to prepare for this trip planned since day one of buying this car.
Called BMW assist a few time already but they all said to wait till the morning and see what the tow truck and dealer can work out due to my driveway situation. Ideally I just want BMW dealer to drop off a loaner car for me given this extreme situation and ill deal with it when I come back Sunday night. Will keep u posted. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1376456742.194613.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	391448Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1376456751.138973.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	391449Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1376456759.588826.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	391450

Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM

How did you make out? Safely on your way, or X3 up for sale?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Lol I'm about to put it up for sale j.k.

No one could help me. I called road side assistance and specifically told them I need someone who can put it in neutral and push it out. Or put the car on 4 dollies. First tow guy never made it as his damn truck broke down. (Not sure if its all bull and they were just running late). Second guy comes an hour later and the second I meet him I asked if he had 4 wheel dollies and a jack or knows how to put it in neutral. He goes nope! Sorry! Looks at my car and plays with the shifter as if I haven't already done that already and says sorry we are not allowed to go under the car and put it in neutral as we aren't insured or knowledgeable of these BMWs. I didnt get mad as I fully expected that.
Called back road side ass. And they say please contact the dealer.

Call my Dealer #1 the one I bought it from could not help me as they are 38miles from me. And can't send a tech person out to look at my car because they are too far away. They call dealer #2 which is 6miles from me to see if they can send someone. I call dealer #2 myself and they had already knew my situation and said nope sorry we don't have any one insured to do at home service. Please call road side ASS!!! A freaking CIRCLE!
No one can give me a loaner because in order for them to authorize a loaner they must have my vehicle first! Everyone is point fingers at each other and not helping me!
At this point I'm pissed beyond belief! I call back road side and asked to speak to corporate or a supervisor or someone that can authorize me to get a rental car.
Finally I get in touch with a very helpful lady from BMW North America. I'm guessing she is corporate and she stated she is as high up the chain one can go. She sees all the notes and documentation and the big circle ive been through in their computer system. She stated this situation is ridiculous. She told me to get a rental car so I can salvage what's left of my road trip/vacation and BMW will reimburse the fees. She will also find a tech person to come out to my house. She also gave me her full name and the general 800 number in which to reach her. And she said all of her calls are recorded and documented
As of now I'm in Virginia beach for the first half of my trip. Ran 7hours behind basically wasting the first day of the trip but atleast I made it.
I'll check up with her tomorrow to see if they have found a tech person to come to my house when I get back Sunday night for Monday.
I'm not too thrilled at how BMW handled this whole situation with the pointing fingers and the run around for 4-5 hours but atleast corporate is trying to help me now.

I'll follow up when I get any more details with corporate. As of now I have a Chevy small suv rental and this makes me miss my X3 even more.
But at this point it's Chevy 1. BMW 0.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Sounds like perhaps the BMW social media team found this thread, passed your information on and this person contacted you. If thats what really happened, you will be taken care of, the person who contacted you is at the top of the pyramid, and they get things done quickly. At least they did for me.

Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Lol I'm about to put it up for sale j.k.

No one could help me. I called road side assistance and specifically told them I need someone who can put it in neutral and push it out. Or put the car on 4 dollies. First tow guy never made it as his damn truck broke down. (Not sure if its all bull and they were just running late). Second guy comes an hour later and the second I meet him I asked if he had 4 wheel dollies and a jack or knows how to put it in neutral. He goes nope! Sorry! Looks at my car and plays with the shifter as if I haven't already done that already and says sorry we are not allowed to go under the car and put it in neutral as we aren't insured or knowledgeable of these BMWs. I didnt get mad as I fully expected that.
Called back road side ass. And they say please contact the dealer.

Call my Dealer #1 the one I bought it from could not help me as they are 38miles from me. And can't send a tech person out to look at my car because they are too far away. They call dealer #2 which is 6miles from me to see if they can send someone. I call dealer #2 myself and they had already knew my situation and said nope sorry we don't have any one insured to do at home service. Please call road side ASS!!! A freaking CIRCLE!
No one can give me a loaner because in order for them to authorize a loaner they must have my vehicle first! Everyone is point fingers at each other and not helping me!
At this point I'm pissed beyond belief! I call back road side and asked to speak to corporate or a supervisor or someone that can authorize me to get a rental car.
Finally I get in touch with a very helpful lady from BMW North America. I'm guessing she is corporate and she stated she is as high up the chain one can go. She sees all the notes and documentation and the big circle ive been through in their computer system. She stated this situation is ridiculous. She told me to get a rental car so I can salvage what's left of my road trip/vacation and BMW will reimburse the fees. She will also find a tech person to come out to my house. She also gave me her full name and the general 800 number in which to reach her. And she said all of her calls are recorded and documented
As of now I'm in Virginia beach for the first half of my trip. Ran 7hours behind basically wasting the first day of the trip but atleast I made it.
I'll check up with her tomorrow to see if they have found a tech person to come to my house when I get back Sunday night for Monday.
I'm not too thrilled at how BMW handled this whole situation with the pointing fingers and the run around for 4-5 hours but atleast corporate is trying to help me now.

I'll follow up when I get any more details with corporate. As of now I have a Chevy small suv rental and this makes me miss my X3 even more.
But at this point it's Chevy 1. BMW 0.

2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
Sounds like perhaps the BMW social media team found this thread, passed your information on and this person contacted you. If thats what really happened, you will be taken care of, the person who contacted you is at the top of the pyramid, and they get things done quickly. At least they did for me.

Good luck !
They didnt contact me. I was calling and calling and calling and calling some more. Finally got to a low level rep from BMW North America and she had the nerve to tell me if the BMW ass couldn't help me with the tow truck I had to move it myself! That pretty much pushed me over the edge. I firmly requested to speak to her manger and that's when the higher ups told me to go and get the rental and they will get a tech out to see the car. Hopefully they will find someone when I come back.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Whatever happened to the transmission override under the ash tray or in the over head console like the good old days. Technology is nice, but unnecessary complexity is not.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Turbo Addict

Mein Auto: '14 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Whatever happened to the transmission override under the ash tray or in the over head console like the good old days. Technology is nice, but unnecessary complexity is not.
+1. At the very least BMW Roadside Assistance should darn well know how to put the thing in Neutral in the case of a transmission or electrical failure!

OP - hope you're enjoying your vacation now and not worrying about the car! I can imagine how frustrating this must be!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Today has been a big failure. The request for the first tow truck. Guy didn't even want to take the job. Called tow company to confirm they needed a dolly. Tow company said "ok" will be right there 1.5 in hours. Then I call roadside assist to see where the tow truck is. Roadside calls tow company only to confirm they didnt want the job! Without notifying BMW or me. Waste of time!

Second tow truck comes by almost 4hours later. Again no dolly! Even though I had specifically asked for one! He didnt even want to touch the car because he said it was so new!!!
I've had it with BMW! They need to get a tech to the house to put it in neutral!!! So we can push it to the street for the tow truck.

Just got off the phone with another BMW roadside rep. This time the rep called exactly the same time as the new tow truck company she had set up. I had them all on a three way call. The tow truck company tells the BMW rep unless you live in NY you do not understand what's it like to move these cars in NYC! She also confirmed the dolly is connected to the tow truck to pull it. Since there is a turn in the driveway they can not use a dolly with cable to pull it to the truck!!! Send me a god damn tech to put it in neutral! So we can push it out! It's as simple as that! BMW you should be ashamed of yourself! No one has been helpful at all.

I now have the dealer, rep from roadside assist and bmw north america all working together on this simple issue! Dealer I've bought the car is trying to help me in other ways but sending a tech which would solve this damn issue! It's as simple as that. I've called BMW North America, roadside assist, and the dealer and no one can come up with a damn solution. I have very simple solution! Just send a tech!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Here's one that will make you laugh.

Very smart BMW ROADSIDE REP named Chris R. googles maps my house to get an understanding of the driveway situation. He then calls BMW Life Quality service which is only 5miles away from me and ask how to put it in neutral. The life quality service rep said to him.
"PLEASE CALL ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE"
I couldn't believe what he told me! Almost died laughing!
So even he got the run around!!

I've heard it all from BMW roadside and North America. They tell me "recovery" is not covered under warranty! It's not in the middle of the damn woods or in a lake!!!! It's in my level driveway! It made it there under its own power it should make it out! It's 3188 miles bought brand NEW!!! Paid in full cash! I'm so sick of dealing with them. All day on the phone!!!

Last edited by guyver626; 08-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM
CDN x3

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 30i
Unhappy Cluster f$$$

Sorry to hear that BMW service is brainless.
Never surprised by how useless a company gets when a customer goes off script.
They should be ashamed by this lack of service and recovery especially for a luxury/premium brand.
I have had my share of run ins with BMW Canada related to all inclusive maintenance. Always fun trying to get my annual oil change and cabin filter change.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Just got a call from the dealer. They are finally sending a tech over to put it in neutral and bring it to the dealer. Will keep u updated. This has seriously been a nightmare been dealing with this issue since 7am. And since last week

Last edited by guyver626; 08-20-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Update: two very nice and professional tech guys came and it took one person to put it in neutral. He didnt even need a jack. Just slid under the driver side door removed the panel and took a wrench and done in less then 5 mins. It took 2 people to push the damn thing out of my driveway. The tech guys were shocked at the whole situation I was put through. Tow truck came within 20mins and off it went. This whole situation got escalated where BMW roadside North America MANAGER, call me today after he found out of the situation and offered BMW of Manhattan tech to come within an hour to get car in neutral but there was no need as my dealer tech 40miles away was pretty much on their way. Manager even provided me his direct cell phone # to call him to keep him updated.
Brooklyn houses are pretty much all connected or half attached and very close to each other. So when they hear the tow truck pulling the new car. You can tell everyone is watching. Had three neighbors come out and tell me it's brand new and start asking questions. Im pretty sure they wont be buying a bmw after witnessing this event. Even the tow guy was shocked at how new it was.

As of now I'm just glad it's out of here. BUT my wife is even more upset at the whole situation now, as all of this was unnecessary trouble we been put through since Tuesday night and it took less then 5 mins for the tech to resolve! I still can't calm her down and it's been three hours since the tow truck left.

BMW road side assistance and bmw north america should really be re-trained. They should use google maps and other resources on the WWW to understand the location and situation of the vehicle. Everyone I called was in another state Florida or Michigan where houses are big with plenty of space. They just didnt understand the situation. Once the BMW road side rep enters into the system for a tow truck. There is no follow up from that same person. And they wont ever call you back! You are always dealing with someone new telling them the same story over and over again. One of the BMW roadside assist supervisor said recovery vehicle is not covered under the warranty! It's not a damn recovery! It's in my back yard where alot of cars park in NY! Even had a lady name Roosann (not Roseanne!!!) from BMW North America who should be fired as she was completely rude and even stated its my fault and I'm responsible to get this car out into the street.
The dealer by me is useless and wont help you unless you bought the car from them. I expected that from the local dealer which is why I went so far to purchase car with all the bad reviews they have.
My wife is done with this brand. I still have little faith as I do love this car but this event has really got me thinking twice about BMW.

Anyways thanks for reading. Will keep you posted with the results from the service center!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377050744.976319.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	392688Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377050755.885292.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	392689Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377050764.618452.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	392690Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377050773.651900.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	392691

Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 AM

Quite the "adventure" so far. Hopefully it gets better from here. Familiarize yourself with the requirements of the NY lemon law just in case. I'll be interested in hearing what they find. I'm wondering if it will be the mechatronic unit or something completely different.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM
2014X3*****

Mein Auto: X3

What an incident.. I just ordered a new X3 and this definitely shuts my excitement.. Did you get a loaner for time being?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

No loaner yet. I'm still driving the rental as they haven't informed me of when to return it. Wheels are in motion and phone calls are being made by all parties involved to find a good resolution. Will keep you all updated.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Wow! I hope BMW HQ is reading all this. It's a wake up call to improve customer satisfaction. Your rental car...I hope they permitted you to rent an equivalent (to your X3) and not a tiny little car! They should also compensate you for the time wasted (your holiday schedule) and psychological trauma to you and your family.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
I hope BMW HQ is reading all this.
In my opinion it is na´ve wishful thinking to believe BMW pays people to monitor the hundreds or thousands of BMW related forums internationally let alone respond to them.

The people posting negative comments in these forums represent only a very tiny percentage of their customers, typically have an emotional axe to grind, and have nothing to establish credibility. Even though some threads, like this one, publicize a real problem, it represents an expenditure of too many resources to address something that has no statistical effect on their business.

I am sure they are very interested in customer feedback for many reasons, but, as any well governed business, I strongly suspect they rightfully only consider feedback through established channels and controlled surveys.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Hey RhoXS
You maybe very right with your well written comment. As far as I can tell this forum and posts can very well be a tool to help my case as long as its truthful and laid out in a clear and intelligent manner. It does coincide with all the phone calls I've made, which I'm sure they have on record. If they are reading this maybe this can also help them improve on some of the things that were lacking and prevent this from happening again.
If it helps one other bmw owner from the trouble I went through then it may have been worth it in the end.
Things are in motion I can assure you of that. I'm sure BMW will do the right thing to correct the customer and bring back their image.
I will update you if there is a good ending for everyone involved.

Last edited by guyver626; 08-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
guyver626, if I were you, I would document everything and start looking into the NY lemon law. Chances are, if they need a new transmission or a new tranny computer module, they will not get the part and install it in 30 days. Start counting the days when your car was tow to the shop and start a line of communication with BMW and the dealership asking for a replacement car. If they somehow fix the car in less than 30 days, I would ask for some sort of compensation in the form of money or extended warranty. Good Luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Hi all. Things are already in the works. BMW corporate and the dealership is working on something so everyone can be in a win win. I don't want to say the final outcome as of yet until everything is in order.
It's just a matter of time at this point. I'm pretty sure BMW will do right to correct this whole situation as everyone my wife spoke to was in total agreement with us and totally apologetic for this ordeal. Everyone is shaking their heads at this point because EVERYONE knows it could have been resolved in 10mins total. 5mins to put it in neutral. And the other 5mins to push it out. That's the real kicker of this whole situation.

Nothing is perfect. I expect things to break down or mistakes to happen. But it just kept escalating and escalating and WE ALL (me, my wife, the three tow truck companies that actually showed up plus a few more that wouldnt take the job) kept telling them of the solution and it fell on deaf ears.
It was just extremely bad timing on everyone's part. The right people who had the connections to get a tech out was also out on vacation with his family at the time so he totally understands what I went through along with everyone we have been speaking to.
I understand my situation is extremely rare but it's always those rare occasions that can take a life time to repair.

I know for a fact the powers to be are reading this because I sent them the links myself.
The old saying is always right. Keep a level head, stay calm and professional and things will work out in the end. If not everyone will learn a lesson and have no choice but to move on.

I will keep you all posted.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
This issue is being discussed on other forums (fora?) and the stories of confusion and inability to get the issue resolved with the manual override (because no one seems to know about it) are disturbing.

For example, have a read of this one about an X1 owner's experience-
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878291

Three cheers and a tiger to whoever can find the official proper procedure for doing this, including the tools needed and any appropriate cautions (safety or mechanical) that everyone who might be affected can print out and keep in the car. If the issue is encountered the owner then would be either able to do it, or could instruct a tow operator or roadside assistance how it is done. The forum thread referenced above has a fair bit of information-some in the thread, some in links in the thread- but it still isn't a complete "how to." Anybody have a connection who could help?