Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
In my opinion it is na´ve wishful thinking to believe BMW pays people to monitor the hundreds or thousands of BMW related forums internationally let alone respond to them.

The people posting negative comments in these forums represent only a very tiny percentage of their customers, typically have an emotional axe to grind, and have nothing to establish credibility. Even though some threads, like this one, publicize a real problem, it represents an expenditure of too many resources to address something that has no statistical effect on their business.

I am sure they are very interested in customer feedback for many reasons, but, as any well governed business, I strongly suspect they rightfully only consider feedback through established channels and controlled surveys.
You are incorrect with your thinking. They indeed monitor at least this forum. I was personally contacted by BMW corporate after the "social media team" found my thread on my issue.
I was contacted within a few days of my initial post, and they followed up with me until the issue was 105% satisfied.

My dealer after the fact, in conversation said that they were emailed printout copies of my thread for their review.

Social media in today's environment can make or break a brand name, companies need to monitor their image and respond accordingly. It allows them to monitor what's being said without us knowing about it.

Perhaps without the BMW social media team finding my thread, my problem may not have been resolved quickly as it was or maybe not even at all. Who knows.

But I know for a fact the do troll these boards! And even after all the aggravation and inconvenience I was put through, BMW handled the situation professionally and put me the customer first.
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Transmission failure? 3200 miles on it

Hey 02420X3!
You hit the nail right on the head!

The issue with the car was the mechatronic module, it's still hard to believe that it occurred with no warning signs prior. One day car was working perfectly fine and then bam, next day that module failed. I searched other forums and they usually have some warning signs, unusual high/low revs, car doesn't want to move up gears, or rough ride from transmission. But in my case working perfectly fine one day to just flat out quit the next day.
I can say that things are in the works with BMW corp and my dealer and the service department to resolve this issue. I don't want to state what the final resolution is until everything is over and done with.
I will keep you all posted!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by guyver626; 09-07-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Wow! It's always gratifying to be right, but I would be happier if you had never had a problem. The mechatronic unit is a very complicated, as the name suggests, mechanical and electronic device that controls our 8-speed ZF transmissions.

Best wishes for a resolution that works for you.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
Still hoping someone can get the step-by-step procedure to manually put the transmission in neutral so that if this happens the damage can be contained and the car safely and easily transported for repair...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 35i M Sport
Update from OP
Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX1 View Post
Still hoping someone can get the step-by-step procedure to manually put the transmission in neutral so that if this happens the damage can be contained and the car safely and easily transported for repair...
See the attached PDF. Sections 3.4.1 through 3.4.2 detail the emergency mechanical method and electronic method to get the transmission into neutral. This PDF has been posted on this forum a few times.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02_F25 Powertrain.pdf (991.6 KB, 398 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
Thanks; has anyone got a source for the "detailed information on the mechanical transmission emergency release, refer to the corresponding repair instructions" referenced on page 11?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:02 PM

Hello all, I wanted to finally close the chapter of the story. I can say the problem has been FULLY resolved. I will state BMW does STAND by their products! My dealer has been great with the whole situation and turned a very sour situation into a positive experience. Of course I never want that to happen again but the way things turned out it was for the best! I'll be around these forums for a long time!

The most important lesson I took away from this is to ensure you have a good relationship with the dealer and service department. It's just as important as the car you choose! I'm one of the fortunate ones who happened to have a dealer and SA that cared. It's worth to pay alittle more to deal directly with the "good" people that will go above and beyond client expectations.

Thanks everyone who read the posts and supported me with the whole process.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
It's nice to hear that both BMW and your dealer came through for you. Congrats.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
A nice ending indeed after nearly 6 weeks. Enjoy your "new" car. Did BMW replace with new powertrain or just repaired it?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_K View Post
A nice ending indeed after nearly 6 weeks. Enjoy your "new" car. Did BMW replace with new powertrain or just repaired it?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 PM

I can't say what was done. But let's just say it was a positive outcome and I'm happy
Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
BMW NA will do what is right. They may not always do it quickly. They are a fine company.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
I can't say what was done. But let's just say it was a positive outcome and I'm happy
I understand. At least BMW got its act together and did a fair bit of damage control. Hope the car can give you plenty of pleasure after this. Enjoy your ride and be safe!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
What BS.

You're all for helping out all the members of social media that put pressure on BMW to do the right thing...but if BMW asks you to shut up, like a good little soldier you do.

Way to support the community!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What BS.

You're all for helping out all the members of social media that put pressure on BMW to do the right thing...but if BMW asks you to shut up, like a good little soldier you do.

Way to support the community!
He clearly signed a confidentiality agreement, and those have a specific internet clause in them. It's a legally binding agreement. BMW has a social media team that monitors these boards. It's obvious the outcome, do u really need it spelled out ???
2014 x3 35i - Bronze Metallic - Mojave Leather - Fineline Wave Trim - Cold Weather Pkg - Drivers Assistance Pkg w/ Top View Camera - Dynamic Handling Pkg - Premium Pkg - Technology Pkg - 309 Style Rims - X-Line Trim Pkg - Aluminum Roof Rails - Window Shades - Auto High Beams - Premium Sound.

2013 Ram 3500 - Laramie Limited Mega Cab w/ Cummins Diesel and Aisin Transmision
Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks Durkis!
Someone here need to take a chill pill

Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I'm glad the issue was resolved to your satisfaction. I do believe that a vast majority of companies out there stand by their products and BMW is one of those that do care.

Good luck and I hope you get many many years out of your X3

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis View Post
He clearly signed a confidentiality agreement, and those have a specific internet clause in them. It's a legally binding agreement. BMW has a social media team that monitors these boards. It's obvious the outcome, do u really need it spelled out ???
When Audi bought back my Lemon Q5 years ago, they made me sign the same confidentiality agreement not to discuss the matter with anyone and on the internet. Its not something they are proud of and I can understand why they dont want the word to spread around.