Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Exclamation Repairing ALC Headlight

So I'm looking up the ALC part on RealOEM and its description says, "Electronics Box ALC Uncoded."

Does that mean:

1) This part must be programmed in some way when installed on the vehicle? If so, do I need INPA (haven't found a "safe" download for the latest version that works under 64bit) or can it be done through BMW Scanner?

2) Could I reprogram a used unit to work on my car?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Adaptive modules (ALC, RSMC II, etc) need to be programmed and then coded. You do the programming in winkfp and the coding in NCS Expert. You don't use INPA at all.

A used module just needs to be coded with NCS Expert.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Is is obvious once you pull up NCS Expert on what to do to "code" an ALC electronics unit? What exactly needs to be coded specific to the unit since I already have ALC in the car?

I have NCS Expert now installed but I'm still waiting for my One Stop USB cable so I can't explorer any further.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 AM

I finally got around to replacing it with a new one and I didn't need to touch any programming whatsoever.

What I believe the word "uncoded" in RealOEM's parts description is a term that doesn't translate from German to English very well and is used to indicate a sub-component that can be applied to many different systems or is not "coded" specifically to one side or the other (left vs right; universal). I also needed a new female plug connector for a fog light and RealOEM also described the part as "uncoded."
Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM

You just code the module using the Expert Profile. This will code the module as per the VO string in the car.

It's nice that it was working but are you sure the headlight is operating as it should?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You just code the module using the Expert Profile. This will code the module as per the VO string in the car.

It's nice that it was working but are you sure the headlight is operating as it should?
I was getting the ALC error on my dash every time I start the car (I assume because of the driving lights always on, it would lead to the error) that cleared the moment I popped in the new ALC.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Yes but just because the error is gone, doesn't mean the stepper motors in the headlights are working correctly.

Do they properly turn with your steering wheel input?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Yes, they work just fine: switched the light to "active" (left most position) and the beams turn with the wheel.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
??????????

May I ask you a question...

Every time you turn on the car, do the headlights point up and down to adjust themselves?

Some folks claimed that a battery disconnect will make the module work, but it is not the case.

An important job of the module is to adjust the 'leveling', so if your headlights don't do the up and down adjustment when you insert the key, the ALC is not doing its job.

A coding is required, to my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Yes, they work just fine: switched the light to "active" (left most position) and the beams turn with the wheel.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbimmer3 View Post
Every time you turn on the car, do the headlights point up and down to adjust themselves?
Yes. Everything has now been working perfectly since replacing the suspect ALC module with a used one.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3 ZCP; '06 530 XIT
Thank you for confirming this. It is great to know that coding is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Yes. Everything has now been working perfectly since replacing the suspect ALC module with a used one.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530d
Hi , I hope you can help,
What was your original problem? I have an active steering issue, which when I used DIS to fault find, there were several faults of which was the LM module.
running tests with DIS, it found that the left headlight was not moving as much as the right . so threw up an error ( green led on headlight control also blinks)
So am trying to sort all the faults. I have the option of changing the stepper motor or the ALC module. Given that a new ALC module ( p/n 6934836) cost 120 I don't want to buy one only to find its the stepper motor.
I have checked the adjuster and its fine.
So if you had the same problem , I will take the plunge and get a module.
error messages were :
LM-932E- B6300_50027
B1362_BSD B6160_60005
B6577_61033
Thanks
Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbimmer3 View Post
May I ask you a question...

Some folks claimed that a battery disconnect will make the module work, but it is not the case.

An important job of the module is to adjust the 'leveling', so if your headlights don't do the up and down adjustment when you insert the key, the ALC is not doing its job.

A coding is required, to my understanding.
The lights moving up and down has nothing to do with the adaptive system.

This is self check for the self leveling system which is a different system than the adaptive system.

There are 2 stepper motors in each headlight....one for adaptive (side to side movement). The other for auto leveling (up and down).

There is no visual self check for the adaptive system.

The OP got lucky with the used module. If it comes off the same side of the donor car, it's plug and play. If it comes off the opposite side, it needs to be coded. If the module comes from a different region (ie USA LHD vs Europe RHD), it needs to be coded.

Last edited by fdriller9; 05-16-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
The OP got lucky with the used module. If it comes off the same side of the donor car, it's plug and play. If it comes off the opposite side, it needs to be coded. If the module comes from a different region (ie USA LHD vs Europe RHD), it needs to be coded.
What are the exact steps to "coding" a used ALC module via NCSExpert?

I am converting to LCI headlights and the passenger side I bought piece-meal all used (except the LED signal light) so I have no idea which side the ALC module came from and may need to code it correctly if there is a difference between right and left.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Hi ,
I am trying to fix my adaptive lights but no success.
Steps I have taken.
Purchased parts of flea bay so not new.
1 light controller ( behind fuses in glove compartment) BMW 6 934122
2 control unit ( fitted to the underneath of headlight ) BMW 6 934836
3 stepper motor ( fitted inside the headlight) BMW 6 934836

But no luck, I have checked that all the software were the same on all units . but not sure what else to do.
I run dis and it comes up with B6300_50027 replace headlight. In the schematics shown in DIS it looks like unit E7 ( is that any of the ones above ?)

So wanted to know how to code the Unit as fdriller9 has said ?

In the DIS software that came with my OBDII adapter ( BMcables) it has NCS Expert but IU havnt a clue what to do. would very much appreciate a hand.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Hi Can anyone suggest things to try and sort my ALC.
I have finally managed to do some testing with the following steps.

1 both lights move up and down on power up. but using the INPA programme only the right hand headlamp unit moves side to side.

2 Switched the two headlight units over.
result the left hand wired headlamp ( originally right hand headlamp) works in this position
Right hand wired headlamp ( originally left hand headlight does not work )

My assumption is that the control unit ( fitted in Glove compartment) is working as the right hand headlight can be made to work in both positions. ( Do you guys agree ?)

3 Then I changed the ALC unit from the left to right side, both headlights did not work.

4 I replaced the left hand ALC ( originally good right hand headlamp unit ) with another ALC unit.

This time the originally good headlight unit in the left hand position worked.

5 I swapped the ALC from the right hand unit ( originally faulty left hand headlamp)
back into the other side.
Results it worked.
Assumption is that the left hand ALC unit was faulty as 2 out of three ALCs worked when fitted to the right hand headlamp ( fitted to the left hand side.)
My assumption is that I had a faulty ALC unit. ( do you guys agree ?)

6 I replaced all the headlight units into their original position and found that right hand light works but the let hand does not ( never worked) As in step 2
My assumption is that it is the motor in the unit which is faulty. ( do you agree ?)

Question, how do I remove the side stepper motor from the headlamp unit ?
Is this stepper motor even replaceable ?

Is it still possible that the ALC unit does need to be coded as has been suggested.
and that I have 2 right hand ALC units , which means that I need to get a left hand ALC unit.
or recode one of my good ALC's

I would really like to hear from you guys.
Am starting to feel like Billy no mates. No One wants to talk to me
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmastra View Post
Question, how do I remove the side stepper motor from the headlamp unit ?
Is this stepper motor even replaceable ?
From my deduction (I could be wrong), there are two stepper motors in the AHL assemblies but only the vertical aim stepper motor is replaceable (i.e., BMW offers a replacement stepper motor only for the vertical aim, and that is the only motor that can be readily removed anyways).

So if you have a bad horizontal stepper motor, then unfortunately, you need to replace the entire headlight assembly (unless you can get another, fully functional AHL headlight assembly as a donor basically for free and use heating techniques to unglue and re-glue the headlight lenses in order to swap the horizontal stepper motor).

Quote:
Is it still possible that the ALC unit does need to be coded as has been suggested.
and that I have 2 right hand ALC units , which means that I need to get a left hand ALC unit.
or recode one of my good ALC's
As part of my project to retrofit LCI Xenon AHL's to my pre-LCI, I was finally able to figure out the coding with NCS Expert: the modules you need to access are LSMC for left ALC and RSMC for right ALC modules. There are various variables for adjusting turning (stepper) rates and which horizontal direction to turn based on the polarity of the signal; necessary if your "used" ALC modules are coded to operate in the opposite direction you need them to be (my right LCI ALC module was).

If a used ALC module works correctly when plugged in for the firs time, there is no need for any resetting/coding or other such extraneous work; however, if it's not operating as expected, then that ALC module must first be "reset" before any coding changes are made in order to have those changes be effective.

Regardless, I don't think you are facing a coding issue with your ALC modules.

Last edited by Augster; 07-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 AM

Hi Augster,
thank you for replying,
Because 2 out of 3 stepper motor controls worked( including a used one from flea bay)
So I know have 2 stepper motor controls , which work when fitted to the right hand head lamp but not the left.
"I was finally able to figure out the coding with NCS Expert: the modules you need to access are LSMC for left ALC and RSMC for right ALC modules. There are various variables for adjusting turning (stepper) rates and which horizontal direction to turn based on the polarity of the signal; necessary if your "used" ALC modules are coded to operate in the opposite direction you need them to be (my right LCI ALC module was)."

Question,
how risky is using NCS expert, ?
do you have a dummies guide to code the headlight or should I go to stealers ?

There are lots of threads of people coding different modules,
Can you detail the particular coding for the SMC
Thank you again.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Because 2 out of 3 stepper motor controls worked( including a used one from flea bay)
So I know have 2 stepper motor controls , which work when fitted to the right hand head lamp but not the left.
Which is why I believe the actual horizontal stepper motor in your left headlight is defective and essentially non-replaceable, meaning you need to get a whole different AHL headlight housing.

Quote:
how risky is using NCS expert, ?
do you have a dummies guide to code the headlight or should I go to stealers ?

There are lots of threads of people coding different modules,
Can you detail the particular coding for the SMC
I built a DIY guide on the "other" forum specifically coding a pre-LCI Xenon AHL to LCI conversion, but coding the ALC modules is still the same across pre-LCI and LCI so you can utilize the reset/coding procedures I outlined.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 AM

BTW, here's the PDF of my DIY, in case you are unable to access the "other" site.

I used a 64-bit compatible INPA/NCS Expert package and thus used profiles provided in that package, which may not be named the same as other coding DIY's but should provide the same functionality and hopefully you can correlate which NCS Expert profile to utilize if you are using a 32-bit version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Resetting and Coding ALC Modules.pdf (2.67 MB, 29 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 AM

Hi Thank you,
I will finish my coffee and then go try,
fingers crossed, I could have working AHL by the end of the day

Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 AM

Hi Augster,
Its getting there but not fixed yet.
I have followed the instructions up to correcting directional aiming of SMC module, but then got the splash screen 1 attached. and all the Vin info goes away, F1,2,3... are all blank.

The profile files I have are shown in attachment 2.

In Inpa, I am able to see if there is any issues with the AHL, but resetting the stepper motor has made no difference, it still shows up as an NOK ( Not OK)
Well Boss, am open to any ideas you have ?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aiming splashscreen.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	452601   Click image for larger version

Name:	aiming splashscreen 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	452602  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Hi Augster,
Its getting there but not fixed yet.
I have followed the instructions up to correcting directional aiming of SMC module, but then got the splash screen 1 attached. and all the Vin info goes away, F1,2,3... are all blank.

The profile files I have are shown in attachment 2.

In Inpa, I am able to see if there is any issues with the AHL, but resetting the stepper motor has made no difference, it still shows up as an NOK ( Not OK)
Well Boss, am open to any ideas you have ?
Thanks.
The NCS Expert profiles for 64-bit only work with the latest 64-bit version and are not backward compatible, and 32-bit profiles are not forward compatible with the latest 64-bit version.

So you need to use the profiles designed for the version of NCS Expert you are using.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 AM

The profile you choose doesn't matter as long as you have .man manipulation turned off.

If you go into the edit menu of the profile, you can see what options are checked.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 AM

And resetting modules is only a predatory step in order to ensure coding changes take effect; for example, I initially did not reset my right ALC module when I changed the directional movement and the ALC didn't conform to the new setting. Resetting then coding finally got the ALC to turn the headlight in the correct direction of the steering wheel.

If it is not moving at all, regardless of which ALC module is plugged in, then resetting will not fix a hardware issue.