Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 gt
after a short absence...still love my GT

After my first foray into this wonderful forum a few months ago (embarrassingly posting my gushing long winded approval of my new gt on the WRONG sub forum....duh) just wanted to report that yes, I still love this thing. I couldn't understand the many reviews against this car by BMW lovers, car reviewers etc as it looked fine to me. But I stayed away do to all the "pile on reviews" mostly negative. I needed to buy my first bmw (had always switched between Escalade and Mercedes...why I do not know) and due to some related business interests (watch/car related) I wanted to buy my first BMW. Out of curiosity I decided to test drive one of these awful ugly cars. Blew me away. Looks great! I had always rented 7 series cars on my frequent trips to Europe and while wonderful, they were a little low to the ground for me. Plus I needed space. to haul stuff. (boxes of stuff, exchange students, teenagers etc etc)

I was kind of tired of TRUE SUV's though. And loved the 7 series. this thing, this 535gt is the perfect balance. zippy, sporty, tons of room and a bit higher off the ground. it's a beautiful car all around. It is very quiet, masquerades as a small car while being very large (on the 7 chassis) and handles really well for such a big car.

Luxury, sporty, useful and handles like a sports car should, in spite of it's size.

every luxury option I could want except cooled seats. But the AC is better than any car I have ever owned in recent years. jeffrey pittman hess
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
What equipment and colors exactly did you get? Photo?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I think part of the problem is those who have knocked it so, have never sat in nor drove one! I was at a BMW event at my dealers recently and mentioned it to the corporate rep that was there...they don't advertise it, the dealers rarely have one in the showroom, and you have to ask about it which assumes you already did your homework, which isn't always the case. It's no wonder they don't sell that many!

Glad you like yours...same here.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Glad to hear you have no regrets! As a noob (one week on Friday) I am still in the puppy love stage, how long have you had yours? As a sedan only driver the GT is awesome because I have long been frustrated with trucks towering over me and blasting my mirrors with their lights. This car is sneaky tall as you don't realize it while entering, I really like the fact that there is no leg stretch to enter/exit unlike SUV's.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I picked mine up in Munich in April 2011. I only have about 22K on it. I do still like it. I had an Invisihitch installed, and installed a UK towing harness in it (www.rightconnections.co.uk). I use it to hook up a bike carrier and the trailer harness turns the silly rear PDC off automatically when I hook up the extra light bar I use on the hitch. You can manually turn that off, but then you turn off both front and rear. The other tweaks I've done to it are to add the European headlight switch which activates the rear fog lights (they're already there, just don't work without the switch) and installed the factory mudflaps all around - they do help to keep stone chips and spatter off the lower part of the car. Those DO need to be painted, which adds to the cost, but they're not bad to install yourself.

I'm toying with an i3 to supplement it, but it would be a novelty, as I don't really drive that much, and the energy savings would never be a payback. But, if I fit, and it holds my folding recumbent trike, it may be a good addition! FWIW, my best trip mileage was just under 31mpg, almost entirely interstate sitting on the cruise control. I've seen in the high teens when it is stop and go in traffic, but probably average around 22-23mpg combined - higher than the epa for the x-drive. I'm not sure what auto stop would do for it, as it's not on my model year.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 gt
my "choice" was white with black interior...some kind of brownish black wood trim.

Impressed with the sped and power and the almost 30 mpg that i squeeze out of on on the highway when being careful (and driving slowly.....tough to do..)

the electric assist that bothered so many reviewers does not bother me at all.

Or flat screen tv recently gave up the ghost and my war department gave me permission to buy a new one. (she accused me of breaking it on purpose....lol).

Anyway p picked out a monster 65 inch and told them to meet me out front. they saw the car and said "no way" is it going to fit.

we slid it in with ease. could have stacked another 5 flat screens in this bad boy.

I buy lots of cars. But have not been in LOVE with a car in a long time. This one though, I am in extreme love with
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
Glad to hear!
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
after a short absence...still love my GT

Don't you just love that versatility that so nicely complements
the comfort and performance, a combimation that flies so completely over the head of the shallow-minded GT critics out there? Screw 'em....(rant complete)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Great to hear enjoy.

Btw, our best MPG trip was from Fairfield County, CT to JFK Int'l...34 MPG, and we have the x-drive!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: 530d GT
I have mine since beginning of 2012. Also the best car I have had. It is not only great for the driver, it is even more for the back passengers.
I did more than 5000 km this summer with my wife and two kids and we enjoy it. My wife drove it for the first time on long distances and liked it very much. She has usually back pain after a while (we had Mercedes E before) but not on this one with the confort seats. We were enjoying it in the back watching DVDs.
Now almost 20000 km and not in for service yet. Last thing, the 6 cylinder diesel is very economic on motorway (less than 7l/100km at 130 km/h constant speed) but unfortunately not available in all countries.