Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Question X5 with BF Goodrich off-road tires; anybody tried?

Hi! This question has probably been answered before, but my search did not return meaningful results.

I am thinking of a new X5 XLine AWD. I frequently drive on a dirt road to a farm my friend's dad runs. The road is nothing special - regular cars with 18" tires make it all the time. The road, however, has laser sharp rocks that tend to puncture regular tires.

Has anyone tried off-road tires on X5? Will it void the warranty? Will it change the way suspension works? Will it be more dangerous? etc etc etc.

Appreciate your input in advance.

Sincerely,

Mike
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mikezat1 View Post
Hi! This question has probably been answered before, but my search did not return meaningful results.
Never asked as far as I recall

Quote:
Will it void the warranty?
No

Quote:
Will it change the way suspension works?
No

Quote:
Will it be more dangerous?
No.

I mean what are you thinking/asking??! Tires are tires- read the reviews, understand the capabilities on the highway. Buy a tire that is legal on the road and has off road capability if you must. I'd just use the regular all seasons- if you rupture those, replace them with a set with roadhazard coverage. Oh, steer and drive appropriately when driving over challenging terrain.

Quote:
etc etc etc.

Unknown

Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Thank you for getting back to me. It's my understanding that
replacing run flat tires with conventional tires "... deviates away from the original design, safety and suspension calibration technology that the run flats were originally designed for."

Will the ride with off-road tires require adjustments to the "suspension calibration technology" ?

The quotes are from BMW engineer of some sort. Sorry, I can no longer find the post where he said so.

Also, what about the barrage of warnings that are currently associated with running non-RFTs on RFT-equipped cars? Is there a way to tell the computer ?

I am curious if anybody tried offroad tires himself? What kind? Please post here.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by 1mikezat1; 08-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.