Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Brake dust

I know this isn't a revelation, bmws get a **** ton of brake dust. I don't really mind, but it drives my boyfriend crazy. Noticed there are "wheel dust shields" and was wondering if anyone uses these? Or what's your secret to keep them clean?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
What year is your car? I see in your other thread you recently changed pads, you may have missed the opportunity to get the newer lower dusting pads, thanks to AnE934fun, I see the fronts are part #34116794920. The old ones were 34116794917, which I have. Many people switch to ceramic pads, but I don't know which ones are more reliable than others. I probably will never do ceramic, because I want the best performance (even if I don't need it). And I have discovered that you if you can super clean the wheel, then ideally apply Opti-Coat 2.0 or perhaps Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier, dust has a very hard time sticking. The former is permanent! A pro detailer can do it for you, but get a good one.

Here is a pic of a wheel that has Megs BDB applied over a month ago, nearly 100 miles on it since the last car wash.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

I've never ever seen anyone here use that "dust shield", and whatever the heck that is, I bet it's not good for heat dissipation.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Brake dust

Thanks so much! Super helpful! I have an 07 328i and I'm sure my recent replacement was not the newer part brake pads! Great to know next time for sure! Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
The shields reduce brake dust - and also reduce brake cooling by reducing the air flow over the rotors and caliper.

Not a good idea.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Brake dust

Thanks pilgrim. I definitely had reservations about those

Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseycato View Post
Thanks so much! Super helpful! I have an 07 328i and I'm sure my recent replacement was not the newer part brake pads! Great to know next time for sure! Thanks so much for your help!!
Sure thing, I respond though because I would like to reiterate the idea of hiring a detailer to Opti Coat your wheels. The longest part would be getting the wheels surgically clean before the application (which itself is cured dry within 20 minutes, unless they are using OC Pro which is more like 5 minutes). It is permanent, and nothing sheds contaminants better. You see, because it's permanent, even in the future when you get those new pads, you're still benefitting from the OC. A syringe is about $70ish, but that's usually enough for 2 whole cars, so I'm curious how much a good pro would charge you. The time it takes is extremely dependent on how caked the dust has become (and it can pit your wheels), after which there will be a lot of IPA wipedown for the prep. Anyway, I can tell you that the Meguiar's Brake Dust Barrier (which I presume won't last nearly as long as OC) on my wheels, the difference is like I had changed my pads out... Just keep it in mind for the future if you're ever considering hiring a detailer... cheers.