Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
Scuff on oyster/black

I have a scuff on my driver seat oyster/black interior seat. How can it be prepared?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130818_160217 (450x800).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	392215  
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Scuff on leather seat

I meant "repaired".
I am not sure how it happened. The oyster interior is sharp but high maintenance at times.
With only a few miles (4,000), I'd like to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiego View Post
I meant "repaired".
I am not sure how it happened. The oyster interior is sharp but high maintenance at times.
With only a few miles (4,000), I'd like to fix it.

Thanks.
I have Oyster and get stuff like this a lot. Your pic looks like surface. YMMV, but I have had success gently using BMW Interior Cleaner 83-12-0-405-178.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Oyster/black scuff

I have tried cleaners and leather conditioners. It does not improve. It appears to be a scuff to the surface of the leather.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM

oyster/black scuff

The "ribbing" of the seat is also "chafed" and discolored as you can see in the photo. It is not stained but damaged somehow. This was present when I purchased the car but didn't bother me. The scuff on the seat does however.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
That's a great hi res photo and it does not appear to be a scuff but something black like grease / oil based stain on the leather surface.

Any idea how it got there or what it might be?

Cleaning with a progressively stronger solvent like acetone or Goof Off on a VERY small spot to test (the seat edge maybe not the larger spot on the seat) and see if the black is dissolved and removed without damaging the leather surface.

Actually unless you are very careful you may want to take it to a professional detailer as this is the kind of spot where you could do more damage than good.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
That almost looks like a rub mark similar to what is on the edge of the bolster.

But if it is dirt or grease or even stain coming off a dark belt or dark jeans, I would try gently cleaning it with a combination of Woolite, distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush.

The other thing I've discovered that takes the grime off the leather is Zaino leather cleaner.

Darker color leathers will show these scuffs or rub marks as light spots, while light colors show them as darker. It's where the buttons on pants pockets rub as one slides into the seat. I have found these scuffs can be covered using Meltonian Shoe Crème. This is generally sold at better shoe repair establishments.

Beware: The color chart on the Meltonian.com website isn't very true to color and they admit it right on the color chart. You might have to play with the winter white, light bone and ivory to get a good color match.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Oyster/black scuff

Yes..It is a "rub" mark. It seems like the surface has been damaged (like the bolster)
Maybe shoe cream will work. Will my BMW dealer suggest how best to repair it?
I do not wear anything that would cause this and don't keep objects in my back pockets.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Kat your advice is always prescient but the photo attached to the OP's post indicates somebody or something sat down or somehow applied a dark greasy substance to the leather. I would try to remove it first.

The technique would be to have a small cloth or even a Q-tip with some Goof Off or acetone and gently rub a small corner of the stain to see if it would desolve and be removed.

I went to my shoe repair guy for some gray shoe polish for an Expedition I recently sold and he couldn't match exactly but told me to just get some spray paint and brush it ever so gently over the scuff wear I had on a front seat. OP is not there yet and just needs to clean the stain.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Kat your advice is always prescient but the photo attached to the OP's post indicates somebody or something sat down or somehow applied a dark greasy substance to the leather. I would try to remove it first.

The technique would be to have a small cloth or even a Q-tip with some Goof Off or acetone and gently rub a small corner of the stain to see if it would desolve and be removed.

I went to my shoe repair guy for some gray shoe polish for an Expedition I recently sold and he couldn't match exactly but told me to just get some spray paint and brush it ever so gently over the scuff wear I had on a front seat. OP is not there yet and just needs to clean the stain.
I vote gentle cleaning as a first resort as well. I had my car at the dealership last week and the little scuff points on the driver's side bolster reappeared. I've done the shoe polish thing routinely about once or twice a year, and it keeps the bolster looking brand new.

Acetone on the leather scares me a little bit as it is designed to remove color. I've had very good luck with my IPA/D-H2O and Woolite mix as it has surfactant - Woolite and solvent (IPA). If I recall, my mix by volume is 10% IPA, 3%Woolite 87% Distilled water.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
The color chart on the Meltonian.com website isn't very true to color and they admit it right on the color chart. You might have to play with the winter white, light bone and ivory to get a good color match.
Unfortunately the lighter Meltonian cremes have poor hiding/covering ability because they contain so little pigment. The cobbler who sold it to me said as much (after helpfully coming out to look at the wear), and he was right: Meltonian is essentially useless for covering scuffs on Oyster. Saddle Brown, being quite a bit deeper, evidently matches colors that carry enough pigment for effective cover-ups.

For small scuffs, such as along the bolster, I've found Magic Mender applied with a fine artist's brush works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
No!!!! Never! Dakota is a coated leather, not dyed. The color is in the coating. Goof-Off will completely strip the coating leaving bare leather. Never bring Goof-Off anywhere near your car's interior. It's powerful stuff and you don't want to find out the hard way which surfaces are incompatible.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 08-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
For small scuffs, such as along the bolster, I've found Magic Mender applied with a fine artist's brush works well.
SNAP!
Yes! I've used Magic Mender on the "Oyster" interior of our Mercedes which is more Taupe than BMW's "Oyster" and it works great. Light colors really do need a bit more TLC and a bit more pigment.