Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Bavarian Technic tool on 2011 e90/1/2/3?

The website says it only works on 3 series before 2009? Does it not work on the newer cars as well?

Also, can you do battery registration with the BTT?
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
This is one of those question you call the manufacture to ask. Why ask a community who may know, when you can call the source directly and get a definite answer?

To my knowledge, MY doesn't matter. There was a change in OBDII port data bus from K to DCAN or the other way around, but regardless, that should not affect reading/erasing codes, resetting adaptations etc.

Battery registration is possible. I know that.

When I had the BT tool, there were 2 entries for battery registration. One was battery adaptation reset and the other was battery registration I think. They are 2 redundant entries that did the same thing. Not sure if BT updated the software to remove the "bug."

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Bavarian Technic tool only properly registers the battery if it is the same type and Amp Hour capacity as the one you are removing.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
Here's what BT customer support told me about using the BT to register a battery in an e9x car:

"You are correct about the battery registration. Only if the new battery has the same specs as the old battery (according to BMW), will the BT tool provide the proper registration. Otherwise, you will likely need to visit the dealer to get the coding changed."

The pro version of BT can do coding, but the enthusiast version for DIYers won't. Without the right coding of the battery, the charging profile will be wrong, even if the new battery is registered. Registration basically just tells the DME that a new battery is installed and enters the current mileage at registration so the DME can modify the charging as the new battery ages.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
It works on current cars, I have one.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
This is one of those question you call the manufacture to ask. Why ask a community who may know, when you can call the source directly and get a definite answer?

To my knowledge, MY doesn't matter. There was a change in OBDII port data bus from K to DCAN or the other way around, but regardless, that should not affect reading/erasing codes, resetting adaptations etc.

Battery registration is possible. I know that.

When I had the BT tool, there were 2 entries for battery registration. One was battery adaptation reset and the other was battery registration I think. They are 2 redundant entries that did the same thing. Not sure if BT updated the software to remove the "bug."
He's asking because you are here and that is what this is for! Don't reply with a condescending response like that or hit the road and stop trying to "help" people on this site! That was a bull#$^t response IMO!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
It works on current cars, I have one.
Can you elaborate a little please? Did you do a battery swap and it work out? I don't need a battery right now but am pondering the BT purchase. I asked another BT owner over on diesel forum but he wasn't sure about battery reg. I read above that BT is only good for reg of battery that is same specs as OEM battery. I'm trying to avoid buying the pro version at slightly more than double in cost to the 3 VIN enthusiast version. I'm in a purchase tools mode after reading Mike Miller's old school maintenance schedule. thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The information is correct, the BT enthusiast cable can only tell the car the battery has been replaced with the same battery specs.

If you change the battery and the battery is of a different type, amp hour rating etc, then the car needs to be told the new specs of the battery and that will require a pro cable, dealer visit or you can do it with INPA and code it yourself, but that takes the inpa software setup on a laptop, a different cable than the BT cable and an understanding of coding and INPA.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:49 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Roadkillrob is correct about the battery. On purchasing the cable, if you only want 1 VIN you can get the cable for $179

CURRENT:
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanks guys. I went out and looked at the battery this morning to get part number info. I discovered the battery has an eye giving condition information. I looked at the eye in a dark trunk and the eye had no color and looked black. I used a flash light and it shows bright green. The color table on the battery says green is fully charged, black as insufficient charge and yellow is replace battery. So here is my dumb question:

If i have to use a flash light to see that it is green, is it low on charge? I used a Battery tender on it yesterday and took it up to the green light on only mode (edit: that is the battery tender green light, not the battery green eye) which means full charge and just maintaining it. I will attach photos for 1) part number info and 2) picture of eye and sorry in advance as the eye photo is out of focus. I was holding a cable our of the way for a unblocked view and i only had one hand on iPhone.

I leave the car in the garage for 4 or 5 days sometimes and have encountered the insufficient charge message on nav screen when starting car. This is why i purchased the battery tender plus. I drove the car for about 10 miles yesterday though. I started it this morning after seeing the eye and thought i would see if it would change after running for 5 minutes. No change was observed.

Can someone please go look at their eye but make sure the trunk is dark?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	part number.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	394394   Click image for larger version

Name:	batt_cond_eye.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	394395  

Last edited by BB_cuda; 08-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

An inexpensive volt meter might be a good buy for you.

CURRENT:
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM

I have volt meter and the battery is reading about 12.8 volts with car off an 14.34 with car on. I went to dealer and the parts guy showed me their batteries. They had green eyes. I put my hand around the eye to block the light and it was dark just like mine was. Question answered. You need some external light to look at the eye for greenness. it doesn't self illuminate. The parts guy looked up replacement part numbers and they didn't match my part number. He tried to look up my part number and came up with zilch. His replacement battery was $234 but with CCA member discount is $211. I won't be buying one for awhile but wanted to see what was available. The part has the same 720 CCA and 90 A-hr capacity. So, the BT setup will register this one.

Next i went to Sears. Group 49 size for the diesel. Diehard gold (lead acid) is $150+tax with 750 CCA. Diehard gold AGM is $180+tax with 850 CCA. Sears couldn't quote amp-hrs on either unit. I'm going through this excercise to learn if any aftermarket units match the same specs as OEM. So far, no. If i were to get these, an Indy would do the registration.

Good news is my original battery is okay for now but i will keep using the battery tender when car sits for very long. The one bummer is the parts guy couldn't tell me if the OEM battery is lead acid or gel type battery.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I have volt meter and the battery is reading about 12.8 volts with car off an 14.34 with car on.
12.8 is a good reading. If were under 12V you'd have a problem. 14.34 is also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Good news is my original battery is okay for now but i will keep using the battery tender when car sits for very long. The one bummer is the parts guy couldn't tell me if the OEM battery is lead acid or gel type battery.
That ought to work fine regardless of which battery type you have.