Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,191
Mein Auto: 760Li
for all you guys complaining about the reviews from the company, XYX, it's the first product that's come out to help us. Complaints aren't helping, If you have something constructive to add please do, otherwise don't clutter up the threads with BS. The same thing's been posted 2-3x, how about we not rehash stuff that we don't need to.

To the OP and any folks that bought this, how did it look compared to factory? Any cheaper? The same? Also has the car thrown any CEL's yet for irregular temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
Mpg is still relatively the same or a tad bit better, nothing significant but I'll test when I fill up my tank. As far as performance goes, the car now feels more aggressive, it's picking up faster than before. Right after I installed the thermostat, I met another 750 and he was trying to keep up with me from behind but my car was picking speed up faster than his. What you need to realize is at a lower operating temp your oil is a little thicker, your vanos works better, therefore better timing settings which helps with pick ups. When your operating temp is between 102-105c oil temp is about 120-140 which makes it very thin so lubrication isn't that good plus pressure is lower, so wear and tear is like two times faster, so yes your performance will improve greatly and your car will live a longer happy life.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app


As the engine gets hotter the density of air decreases quite a bit and leads to performance losses! That's is why cooling is a huge priority when trying to make more power! For us, its about making our cars more reliable which will def. be accomplished! The 750 you were running against probably was running hotter, thus was getting thinner air to the cylinders. Thinner air to the cylinders mean that there is less air! Less air means less fuel to make sure you aren't running run rich or lean! Less air and fuel means less power! When an engine gets hot enough to heat the incoming air and causes power losses it's known as heatsoak. Many folks who increase HP to their cars run into this issue and do cooling mods such as cutting holes into the cowling for more air flow, better radiators, thermostats, etc. In addition to that, the oil cooling system on 760s will probably benefit from this and the trans cooling system on all E65/66 models will probably benefit too since they are all situated in front/behind the radiator. But as you said about the VANOS, I'm very interested to see how this is going to change the feel of vanos once I get it put in!
__________________
2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White w/ Creme-Beige
2004 Acura TL - Satin Silver/Quartz
2007 Acura MDX - Nimbus Grey/Taupe
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige

Last edited by csmeance; 08-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM
KingSilverback KingSilverback is offline
The Silverback
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
for all you guys complaining about the reviews from the company, XYX, it's the first product that's come out to help us. Complaints aren't helping, If you have something constructive to add please do, otherwise don't clutter up the threads with BS. The same thing's been posted 2-3x, how about we not rehash stuff that we don't need to.

To the OP and any folks that bought this, how did it look compared to factory? Any cheaper? The same? Also has the car thrown any CEL's yet for irregular temps?





As the engine gets hotter the density of air decreases quite a bit and leads to performance losses! That's is why cooling is a huge priority when trying to make more power! For us, its about making our cars more reliable which will def. be accomplished! The 750 you were running against probably was running hotter, thus was getting thinner air to the cylinders. Thinner air to the cylinders mean that there is less air! Less air means less fuel to make sure you aren't running run rich or lean! Less air and fuel means less power! When an engine gets hot enough to heat the incoming air and causes power losses it's known as heatsoak. Many folks who increase HP to their cars run into this issue and do cooling mods such as cutting holes into the cowling for more air flow, better radiators, thermostats, etc. In addition to that, the oil cooling system on 760s will probably benefit from this and the trans cooling system on all E65/66 models will probably benefit too since they are all situated in front/behind the radiator. But as you said about the VANOS, I'm very interested to see how this is going to change the feel of vanos once I get it put in!
Thankyou that's all Im trying to get across is our cars run hot and obviously it's not good, if anyone has a better idea to run our cars cooler by all means be my guest, some will say shim the thermostat but this will throw errors because pressure is distributed unequally. Running a car at 105C is not good and will be very heavy on your pockets in the long run, TRUST ME especially if you live in a really hot state I promise it's only a matter of time until things go wrong, my luck so far is I live in Wisconsin which is cold as hell so at 75k Miles on the dash I have no problems. The 90C thermostat pretty much looks factory but like I said I wasn't too trusting of the housing and company's reputation hence my decision to only use the innards and it worked. The connector for the sensor wire also didn't feel as secure as I would have liked it to.

I'm usually running at 92-93C now and no errors, which is a good 10 degrees cooler than where I was before with factory thermostat. If you wanna give it a shot by all means do so then also share your experience. I'm just here trying to give back as I've learned alot from these forums and bimmerfest has saved me a good amount of money.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,191
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
Thankyou that's all Im trying to get across is our cars run hot and obviously it's not good, if anyone has a better idea to run our cars cooler by all means be my guest, some will say shim the thermostat but this will throw errors because pressure is distributed unequally. Running a car at 105C is not good and will be very heavy on your pockets in the long run, TRUST ME especially if you live in a really hot state I promise it's only a matter of time until things go wrong, my luck so far is I live in Wisconsin which is cold as hell so at 75k Miles on the dash I have no problems. The 90C thermostat pretty much looks factory but like I said I wasn't too trusting of the housing and company's reputation hence my decision to only use the innards and it worked. The connector for the sensor wire also didn't feel as secure as I would have liked it to.

I'm usually running at 92-93C now and no errors, which is a good 10 degrees cooler than where I was before with factory thermostat. If you wanna give it a shot by all means do so then also share your experience. I'm just here trying to give back as I've learned alot from these forums and bimmerfest has saved me a good amount of money.
Thanks! My plan was to buy the new one and compare the 2 and figure out what the differences are. If it's as simple as removing wax like it's been on other t-stats I much rather do that and save 120 dollars, or I'll contact the hotrod shop down the street from me and see if they have any easier/better suggestions on a thermostat that could work that doesn't have bad reviews, etc to keep people calm. Plus I was going to look into drilling a 3/16" hole in T-Stat to help allow coolant to bleed through so when the t-stat is closed it allows the car to run cooler too.

Plus I've been working on my other cars in the past few days and realized that all of them run at 180F which is 80C (hondas/acura). I wonder if 80 or 85 would work well enough too! Right now my concern is the low temp light that was posted about earlier! I PM'ed Dolstat so lets see what he says!
__________________
2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White w/ Creme-Beige
2004 Acura TL - Satin Silver/Quartz
2007 Acura MDX - Nimbus Grey/Taupe
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is online now
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: CALIFORNIA L.A.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,730
Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
Thankyou that's all Im trying to get across is our cars run hot and obviously it's not good, if anyone has a better idea to run our cars cooler by all means be my guest, some will say shim the thermostat but this will throw errors because pressure is distributed unequally. Running a car at 105C is not good and will be very heavy on your pockets in the long run, TRUST ME especially if you live in a really hot state I promise it's only a matter of time until things go wrong, my luck so far is I live in Wisconsin which is cold as hell so at 75k Miles on the dash I have no problems. The 90C thermostat pretty much looks factory but like I said I wasn't too trusting of the housing and company's reputation hence my decision to only use the innards and it worked. The connector for the sensor wire also didn't feel as secure as I would have liked it to.

I'm usually running at 92-93C now and no errors, which is a good 10 degrees cooler than where I was before with factory thermostat. If you wanna give it a shot by all means do so then also share your experience. I'm just here trying to give back as I've learned alot from these forums and bimmerfest has saved me a good amount of money.
I hope there is no hard feelings , I really wasn't trying to kill your topic . I just wanted to make everyone aware that the company builds sub par products .

SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU IT WAS NOT MY INTENTION .
__________________

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
First_745Li's Avatar
First_745Li First_745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South FL
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: '03 745Li
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

bought one.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is online now
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: CALIFORNIA L.A.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,730
Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Thanks! My plan was to buy the new one and compare the 2 and figure out what the differences are. If it's as simple as removing wax like it's been on other t-stats I much rather do that and save 120 dollars, or I'll contact the hotrod shop down the street from me and see if they have any easier/better suggestions on a thermostat that could work that doesn't have bad reviews, etc to keep people calm. Plus I was going to look into drilling a 3/16" hole in T-Stat to help allow coolant to bleed through so when the t-stat is closed it allows the car to run cooler too.

Plus I've been working on my other cars in the past few days and realized that all of them run at 180F which is 80C (hondas/acura). I wonder if 80 or 85 would work well enough too! Right now my concern is the low temp light that was posted about earlier! I PM'ed Dolstat so lets see what he says!
you should try contacting B7M4W5 , I believe he did an 80c or 85c T-sat mod that
was working very good before he got rid of his 7 series .
__________________

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 AM
dolfan13's Avatar
dolfan13 dolfan13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: lexington,ky usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 545i
What I did and the vette guys do is extend the stem that contacts the wax motor.Its stainless so I used a mig welder and welded a small amount on the tip of the stem.Then used a file and sanded to make it smooth.I work in a car factory with tool and die guys next to me.We all thought what I did would work fine,and it did.The vette guys drop a shim in the hole to give the same effect.Paper my engine wasnt running factory hot I want to go well below spec.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Thesatman Thesatman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Albuquerque, NM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 327
Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
It only says one has been sold. So which one of you bought it? I may buy one and do this mod (using the hybrid of new and old parts) just to see for myself.

As for the two thermostats question...I thought I had read somewhere that there are two thermostats...the normal engine one and maybe one that goes to the transmission as well, im not sure.
__________________

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM
KingSilverback KingSilverback is offline
The Silverback
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Re: BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
It only says one has been sold. So which one of you bought it? I may buy one and do this mod (using the hybrid of new and old parts) just to see for myself.

As for the two thermostats question...I thought I had read somewhere that there are two thermostats...the normal engine one and maybe one that goes to the transmission as well, im not sure.
No, engine and transmission share the same cooling system so only one thermostat near radiator, that's why everything goes to **** in this car when you run hot 24/7 and yes even the considered normal of 103C with OEM Tstat is hot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,132
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

That is not true fellas. There IS a tstat for the tranny and it is rated to open cooler... BUT when the whole system is hot as **** you can see where that goes to pieces..
Quick diagram referencing
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377184875.867624.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	392970
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377184888.362878.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	392971
Part 16 is the tranny tstat


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,132
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

And the tstat (7) connected to the wp of course
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377185135.429030.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	392972

Coolant comes out of the engine block, through the lower hose, radiator then out of this heat exchanger to the transmission tstat; this is supposed to allow for warming up the transmission when it is cold, and keeping it cool when it becomes warm. Major flaw when you're not driving at speed when your car is designed to run at 105 degrees at idle. Go emissions!
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 08-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Thesatman Thesatman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Albuquerque, NM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 327
Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
745IGuy, Thanks for proving I'm not crazy. So if you really want things to run cooler you need to change out all of the thermostats don't you?
__________________

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,132
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Well, no the 90c at the wp will be just fine and the tranny stat is different than the wp one.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
First_745Li's Avatar
First_745Li First_745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South FL
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: '03 745Li
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
It only says one has been sold. So which one of you bought it?
I bought one on the 20th. So far no notification that it was shipped. I emailed the seller lets see what he says..also estimated delivery is Between Aug 24-27 I don't know if that's still accurate.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is online now
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,907
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
This is, by it's VERY definition, the most interesting and intriguing subject currently in discussion on this entire forum!

I know first hand after having owned 2 e65s and this F01, just how foking BLAZING hot these cars run! It literally is a "ticking time bomb!" If there was a "solid and viable option" made, I would be first in line to purchase. I am not too keen on "rigging" it though. i.e. using stock parts with other parts. However, knowing just how prolific of an issue HEAT is to ANY car, I am willing to concede and try this out.

Can this be fitted to my engine?

I will follow this thread and feedback closely. Thanks OP for the info. And keep me updated....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM
745iguy's Avatar
745iguy 745iguy is offline
Besessen Deutsch Autos
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,132
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Tx, the stat is in fact the same that is on your n63 f01.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 PM
KingSilverback KingSilverback is offline
The Silverback
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Re: BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This is, by it's VERY definition, the most interesting and intriguing subject currently in discussion on this entire forum!

I know first hand after having owned 2 e65s and this F01, just how foking BLAZING hot these cars run! It literally is a "ticking time bomb!" If there was a "solid and viable option" made, I would be first in line to purchase. I am not too keen on "rigging" it though. i.e. using stock parts with other parts. However, knowing just how prolific of an issue HEAT is to ANY car, I am willing to concede and try this out.

Can this be fitted to my engine?

I will follow this thread and feedback closely. Thanks OP for the info. And keep me updated....
Yes TXSTYLE this thermostat will also work on F01,I know you guys have your fair share of issues too from running hot all the time, even more so seeing as you live in Texas. I'm approaching one week with my hybrid thermostat installed and I've had no issues, still 92-93C When driving around, also checked my engine bay for leaks today and there are none.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is online now
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,907
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Here in these 100+ degree temps in TX that extend for 5-7 weeks at a time. just compound the issue! So I am definitely all ears. And YES... These twin turbos only make sh1t hotter.
I see me trying one of these sooner than later...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 PM
KingSilverback KingSilverback is offline
The Silverback
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Here in these 100+ degree temps in TX that extend for 5-7 weeks at a time. just compound the issue! So I am definitely all ears. And YES... These twin turbos only make sh1t hotter.
I see me trying one of these sooner than later...
You'll notice the dramatic increase in performance too from running cooler, I barely tap the gas now and the car flies, my woman drove it and said DAMN lmao if anyone is interested I'll add info on how I did the complete install to my first post.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,368
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
You'll notice the dramatic increase in performance too from running cooler, I barely tap the gas now and the car flies, my woman drove it and said DAMN lmao if anyone is interested I'll add info on how I did the complete install to my first post.
Please add information on how to install this. I'm considering a modified thermostat since the N62 runs very hot!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM
gammodm gammodm is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 2004 745i
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
You'll notice the dramatic increase in performance too from running cooler, I barely tap the gas now and the car flies, my woman drove it and said DAMN lmao if anyone is interested I'll add info on how I did the complete install to my first post.
Please do!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 AM
dolfan13's Avatar
dolfan13 dolfan13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: lexington,ky usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 545i
This is the small of it,but instead of shimming I extended the stem or shaft that heated.N62 tstat is very easy to take apart.http://teamzr1.com/modstat.html is easy mechanics guys.N62 is made a little different as the stem is mounted on the body and not in the element as the LS1 is.

Last edited by dolfan13; 08-23-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM
dolfan13's Avatar
dolfan13 dolfan13 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: lexington,ky usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 545i
I will say you will be safe using the eBay version.Probably only bad outcome is it will stick open or closed.If it comes apart water pump might receive some damage.Really not much to a car thermostat.If you over heat pull over?Sticks open heat won't work and you will get a warning.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
KingSilverback KingSilverback is offline
The Silverback
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 449
Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I will say you will be safe using the eBay version.Probably only bad outcome is it will stick open or closed.If it comes apart water pump might receive some damage.Really not much to a car thermostat.If you over heat pull over?Sticks open heat won't work and you will get a warning.
Yeah man so there's really no chance of major damage because of the mod.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM
First_745Li's Avatar
First_745Li First_745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South FL
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: '03 745Li
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
I bought one on the 20th. So far no notification that it was shipped. I emailed the seller lets see what he says..also estimated delivery is Between Aug 24-27 I don't know if that's still accurate.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Email notification said item was shipped. Can't wait to get this in.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________


'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms