Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
If you are not used to driving older BMWs with hydraulic steering, the sDrive should fulfill your needs (still test drive).
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
^^^
+ 1 - The X1 sDrive is a great car for around town and freeway/highway driving. You absolutely need to test drive one to make sure it's to your liking. The xDrive's biggest advantage is in the snow (lots of it!) as long as you also install proper tires. If you live in a place where all you see is either rain or dry conditions (as in the SF Bay area), the sDrive's RWD/electric steering will not disappoint at all as far as performance is concerned. All X1's come equipped with DSC/DTC which makes them perform safely in wet and slippery conditions. It would be a blast to drive it down on Hwy 1 down to Big Sur in the summer/early fall. Let's not forget that RWD has always been BMW's forté. I think the electric steering works and handles nicely, but this is my first BMW (YMMV.) BMW's decision to phase out hydraulic steering (although not a popular decision with its fans) seems to be the right one for various reasons, as the article on post #1 suggests.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
X1's Electric Steering Vs Hydraulic Steering

Thanks for the great conversion.
I'm thinking about trading in my 2011 x3 for a x1 x drive.
My 2005 x3 had all the hydrolic steering which I long for in my new one. The electronic steering just doesn't feet line a BMW to me. To top it of the dealer have me a 2014 loaner with x drive and the steering feels fantastic. Like my old car.
btw I don't think it has servotronic on it because its stiff at all speed.
Ill update if I switch.
Love the forum moved Beem

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
^^^
+ 1 - The X1 sDrive is a great car for around town and freeway/highway driving. You absolutely need to test drive one to make sure it's to your liking. The xDrive's biggest advantage is in the snow (lots of it!) as long as you also install proper tires. If you live in a place where all you see is either rain or dry conditions (as in the SF Bay area), the sDrive's RWD/electric steering will not disappoint at all as far as performance is concerned. All X1's come equipped with DSC/DTC which makes them perform safely in wet and slippery conditions. It would be a blast to drive it down on Hwy 1 down to Big Sur in the summer/early fall. Let's not forget that RWD has always been BMW's forté. I think the electric steering works and handles nicely, but this is my first BMW (YMMV.) BMW's decision to phase out hydraulic steering (although not a popular decision with its fans) seems to be the right one for various reasons, as the article on post #1 suggests.
You understand the X1 really good, but on which mountain in Mexico do you go to get "lot's of snow"?

I just got my ED X1 s28i yesterday, but I picked up in Munich on May 29th, just as they were having massive rains and flooding for 2 weeks.

With 8 x18 and 9 x18 wheels with summer performance Pirelli P7's, my X1 had phenomenal wet traction, just the kind of tires I like.

At 28 or 29# per tire as run flats, next time I'd like Continental DW to get 20# approx. tires which will even improve braking.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
..... next time I'd like Continental DW to get 20# approx. tires which will even improve braking.

Chris,
Thanks for the explanation of the Servotronic on HPS and EPS steering. I have decided to get the x28i for ED next year.

0w40X1: See my new avatar pix - shows the 18" DWS...

I love the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my 335d and drives like a dream since they are NON run flats. I intentionally got the wheels in square (all 18x8") so that tire rotations make the tires last a long time (almost 3 years and 50% of the tread is still left).

These Conti DWS are perfect for snow, wet, and dry roads!

They are 18" but when I get my X1 in Munich next year, I will have ready at home a set of BMW 18" wheels that are from the 335d which I will use for dry pavement and put on winter tires on the 17" X1 wheels.

Luckily I kept the original 18" staggered wheels & tires from the 2011 335d that will be returned to the dealer when the lease is up.

Last edited by Pat_X5; 08-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM

^You're welcome!

Yeah, I guess we both like Continentals, and DWS would be the ones to get for cold or snow.

Getting back on subject, the electric power steering does feel vague, and if you want to keep the rear of car from swaying, one needs to put around 40 psi in all tires.

BMW recommends 35 to 38 psi in front, and around 42 for high speed driving, but same psi in all tires makes it more planted.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
You understand the X1 really good, but on which mountain in Mexico do you go to get "lot's of snow"?
Come again? I totally agree that you don't need the xDrive unless you live in a very snowy part of the world. The sDrive (the model you and I both drive) will do very well in wet/slippery conditions, like those you experienced in Germany, Jim Q experiences in the Bay Area, or I do down here in Mexico during the rainy season. The Pirelli P7 are excellent summer tires (I have them, too!) If you lived in a snowy/icy part of the world, however, I don't think they would be the most appropriate tires to have. But hey what do I know? I live in Mexico!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 08-28-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM

^You were talking about lots of snow, so I just thought you drove in it. Summer tires lose grip under 40 deg f, and luckily I don't need to drive in the winter, since I fly to SE ASIA every Dec -Feb. For snowy I'd run Continental DWS or dedicated snows.