Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM
fleuger99 fleuger99 is offline
Registered User
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 94
Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & BMW R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Roof rails are just a few hundred bucks and might be worth it for resale alone if you don't ever use yourself.

If you are a radio guy, the stock radio isn't great. We aren't so saved a grand there.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle I got a extended warranty (Fidelity 7/70) which covers seals and gaskets (BMW's plan doesn't) for less than $1,300 bucks. A few grand under what my dealer wanted to sell me. First BMW so worth the peace if mind although I do not usually keep cars that long.

I think you will be very happy with your engine choice. This is my wife's car and we only have one currently. This has been by far the most fun I have ever had with a car despite it being an SUV.

Yes. My bike is a 2000 Guzzi V11 Sport. Your R1200R is a great bike.

Best of luck!




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually lease but was planning on purchasing this time around, I guess the extended warranty is worthwhile if I can get it for the right price. I can only imagine what BMW's seals and gaskets go for. I did the 12K mile service on my R1200 in May and it required a gasket kit which went for $96 and that is for a twin cylinder 1200 CC motor.

Like yourself, I'm not a radio guy. I enjoy SAT radio and playing music through my iPod but don't want to invest a grand for the upgrade. My upgrade dollars will be spent on the 3.5i engine

I've seen several Guzzi's over the years but never ridden one. I've always found the cylinder head configuration interesting. Your bike looks awesome. What is the weight and is it a smooth motor?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
ponti33609's Avatar
ponti33609 ponti33609 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuger99 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I usually lease but was planning on purchasing this time around, I guess the extended warranty is worthwhile if I can get it for the right price. I can only imagine what BMW's seals and gaskets go for. I did the 12K mile service on my R1200 in May and it required a gasket kit which went for $96 and that is for a twin cylinder 1200 CC motor.

Like yourself, I'm not a radio guy. I enjoy SAT radio and playing music through my iPod but don't want to invest a grand for the upgrade. My upgrade dollars will be spent on the 3.5i engine

I've seen several Guzzi's over the years but never ridden one. I've always found the cylinder head configuration interesting. Your bike looks awesome. What is the weight and is it a smooth motor?
The warranty guy's name is Troy Dietrich. TDietrich@FD-Warranty.com I got his name off of this forum. Folks seem to like him. Very easy to deal with getting me set-up. Like I said, think it was under $1,300 for a 7/70. he told me you need to buy before you hit 10K miles or prices go up a bit. We only put about 7K a year on it though.

Guzzi's are not as smooth as a BMW. Most folks think it looks fast till they try it and thinks it runs more like a supped up lawnmower. Weighs just under 500 lbs and gets only about 30mpg but I live in the city, if Tampa is a city, :> so rarely get out of 2nd gear.
__________________
Best Regards,
Bob


Last edited by ponti33609; 09-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 AM
JhonnyBgood JhonnyBgood is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Lexus
It's been a few weeks now but......

On pickup we noticed a cm size chip all the way to the bare metal above the drivers side brake light on the inner side of the tailgate. We have to bring the car in sometime this week to get it touched up.

There was an interior plastic cover missing just below the hood latch. Took our salesman 1hr to replace this. He was oh so super busy.

Overall the whole experience sucked , our salesman was always too busy for us, doing many things at one time which made it very annoying. I'm also surprised no one called to follow up on how we were doing with the car. Our experience with our Lexus dealer makes them look like a bunch of snobs in comparison. They were all sorta rude, it seemed as if we didn't even exist. The entire staff looked like they didn't want to be there.



The two huge things we love about this car is the M seats, it's super supportive compared to the standard ones. Me and wifey feel right at home when we sit in it. Secondly the M package front to back looks awesome. I'm sorry to those guys who love the 3.0 turbo engine but no way was I going to scrap the M package for the extra power. The 2.0 turbo does just fine absolutely no complaints on it's capabilities to get up to speed for the freeway and passing others is a breeze.

The child seat fits perfectly in the middle and was very easy to install. We all went out to dinner including in laws and everyone felt comfortable only thing we're trying to figure out is why the AC doesn't blow cold after driving for 6 minutes or so, it seems as if there's a setting we're not aware of.

The start stop button is annoying definitely turning that off for good. Maybe in bumper to bumper traffic but for normal commutes no way.


Now we're still trying to get used to the ergonomics and what all the buttons do and setting up the profiles etc.


One more thing is the leatherette feels a little weird almost feels like a thin sticky material compared to the one we test drove. But it's all good nothing we're gonna cry over.

Thanks to everyone here for all your inputs and advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130921_154206.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	401018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130921_154124.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	401019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130921_162200.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	401020  

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 10-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,544
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
JhonnyBgood,

I am glad everything is working out for you so far. As far as the dealer, make sure you call up the general manager and express to him or her how horrible your buying experience was and you will reflect that on the BMW survey.
Comparing BMW's consumer service to Lexus is like shooting for the moon, Lexus being #1 in customer service, considering that, your BMW buying experience was below average even for BMW dealers.
No need to feel sorry for us 35i guys, we buy this particular BMW for performance, not for looks The added bonus is that, personally, I think the X3 looked better with the black side claddings.
The AC system is usually weak in most BMW, X3 included. On a very hot and humid day, it takes about 10 min. before it starts to cool the car. Do you have it in MAX and recir?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM
ponti33609's Avatar
ponti33609 ponti33609 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
2014 X3 Purchase question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
JhonnyBgood,

I am glad everything is working out for you so far. As far as the dealer, make sure you call up the general manager and express to him or her how horrible your buying experience was and you will reflect that on the BMW survey.
Comparing BMW's consumer service to Lexus is like shooting for the moon, Lexus being #1 in customer service, considering that, your BMW buying experience was below average even for BMW dealers.

No need to feel sorry for us 35i guys, we buy this particular BMW for performance, not for looks The added bonus is that, personally, I think the X3 looked better with the black side claddings.
+1.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Best Regards,
Bob

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
JhonnyBgood JhonnyBgood is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I am glad everything is working out for you so far. As far as the dealer, make sure you call up the general manager and express to him or her how horrible your buying experience was and you will reflect that on the BMW survey.
Good idea I'll make sure to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
JhonnyBgood,

No need to feel sorry for us 35i guys, we buy this particular BMW for performance, not for looks The added bonus is that, personally, I think the X3 looked better with the black side claddings.

Hmm really? Well I bought a Pontiac GTO which now has over 400whp NA for performance. Road course use btw.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The AC system is usually weak in most BMW, X3 included. On a very hot and humid day, it takes about 10 min. before it starts to cool the car. Do you have it in MAX and recir?

When I put it on max AC it blasts the air at full tilt which I don't need it to blow the air that hard. Yes I made sure it was on recirculation. With AC on I will manually adjust the strength of the air to medium low and it'l blow very very cold then all of the sudden it will feel as if I turned the temp up to 80*. When I get back in the car I'll tinker with it again.

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 10-08-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,544
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
Hmm really? Well I bought a Pontiac GTO which now has over 400whp NA for performance. Road course use btw.

When I put it on max AC it blasts the air at full tilt which I don't need it to blow the air that hard. Yes I made sure it was on recirculation. With AC on I will manually adjust the strength of the air to medium low and it'l blow very very cold then all of the sudden it will feel as if I turned the temp up to 80*. When I get back in the car I'll tinker with it again.
Yes, I remember the GTO conversation and If I remember right, I said, if you are not looking for performance, why buy a BMW, a minivan is a lot more useful for a growing family and a much better value. If you want a good looking SUV, there are many other SUVs out there that looks better as well.
The fastest way to cool down a BMW on a hot day is to leave it on max when you start the car. Once it is somewhat cool inside the cabin, switch it to auto and adjust to the normal temp as you would in your other non-BMW cars, take that temp and minus about 4 degrees. Adjust the center vent temp knob as needed.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 PM
JhonnyBgood JhonnyBgood is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Yes, I remember the GTO conversation and If I remember right, I said, if you are not looking for performance, why buy a BMW, a minivan is a lot more useful for a growing family and a much better value. If you want a good looking SUV, there are many other SUVs out there that looks better as well.


That's your opinion if you feel they're better looking SUV's in this price range. Minivan? My wife would put me in the dog house if got that. lol We have one kid right now and don't plan on having another until maybe 2-3 years from now. You can always say there's cheaper cars to have but we had a budget and we made it clear what we wanted to shop for.

We simply have different views to what a performance SUV is , as I stated earlier the JEEP SRT is something I personally feel would be a performance vehicle. Maybe even the X5 4.4 445hp Twin Turbo as well and cars alike. That's what I would shop for if I were dead on performance. But that's just me. What is an extra 60hp gonna do for us? I mean it didn't feel much different to me so why would I pay all that extra money for such a small gain in performance. (imo after driving both engines). I'm sure I can go to Active Autowerke here in Miami and reflash the 2.0 Turbo to have nearly the same power as a 3.0 for a fraction of the cost. But then again why? not for me, not for this kinda of vehicle or for our intended use.


I consider the X3 with M package as a very cool looking grocery getter that handles great with adequate space for hauling things around easily. Something me and the wife need right now. BMW made a vehicle that packaged everything perfectly to our liking. I wasn't really into BMW's before because I'm more of a American muscle car kinda guy but so far we're very pleased with it as it gets the job done in style.

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 10-08-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,544
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
That's your opinion if you feel they're better looking SUV's in this price range. Minivan? My wife would put me in the dog house if got that. lol We have one kid right now and don't plan on having another until maybe 2-3 years from now. You can always say there's cheaper cars to have but we had a budget and we made it clear what we wanted to shop for.

We simply have different views to what a performance SUV is , as I stated earlier the JEEP SRT is something I personally feel would be a performance vehicle. Maybe even the X5 4.4 445hp Twin Turbo as well and cars alike. That's what I would shop for if I were dead on performance. But that's just me. What is an extra 60hp gonna do for us? I mean it didn't feel much different to me so why would I pay all that extra money for such a small gain in performance. (imo after driving both engines). I'm sure I can go to Active Autowerke here in Miami and reflash the 2.0 Turbo to have nearly the same power as a 3.0 for a fraction of the cost. But then again why? not for me, not for this kinda of vehicle or for our intended use.


I consider the X3 with M package as a very cool looking grocery getter that handles great with adequate space for hauling things around easily. Something me and the wife need right now. BMW made a vehicle that packaged everything perfectly to our liking. I wasn't really into BMW's before because I'm more of a American muscle car kinda guy but so far we're very pleased with it as it gets the job done in style.
Exterior styling is very subjective, everyone is different in that regard.
The Jeep SRT kind of remind me of the old American muscle cars, way too much engine and not enough handling, its like putting a Corvette engine in a Hummer Whats the point? As far as the X5 50i, now you are talking about a SUV that is close to $80K, comparing apples to oranges really.
You are correct that if you are going to buy a strip down X3 28i, it doesnt make sense to upgrade the 35i due to the cost. However, if you were to load up the 28i, the different is only about $2000 for the 35i.
Enjoy your new car.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
bmw_again bmw_again is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 246
Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Exterior styling is very subjective, everyone is different in that regard.
The Jeep SRT kind of remind me of the old American muscle cars, way too much engine and not enough handling, its like putting a Corvette engine in a Hummer Whats the point? As far as the X5 50i, now you are talking about a SUV that is close to $80K, comparing apples to oranges really.
You are correct that if you are going to buy a strip down X3 28i, it doesnt make sense to upgrade the 35i due to the cost. However, if you were to load up the 28i, the different is only about $2000 for the 35i.
Enjoy your new car.
Well, everything is more or less subjective. I don't get to drive ours very often but I do think that the power on 28i is plenty. Yes, it is an SUV, not a race car. The price difference between 28i and 35i is more than that but I agree that for 2014 models it is comparatively less than what it used to be in 2013. And on the options it is also subjective, if I were buying 2014 model I might think long and hard about the premium package (that we got in 2013). IMO, in 2014 it does not contain anything that I consider essential. Features that I wanted were part of it in 2013 but are now part of the base.

Now, for the sports packages, I found the non sport seats to be uncomfortable, so I wanted the sports ones. In 2013 luckily there was "cheap" sports package that had that, so to me it was good deal. I personally didn't mind the black panels, they go very well with titanium

Lastly, I'm sure that leatherette works fine for some, but I really would not consider not getting the leather.

OK, long post, forgot what my point was...
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 966
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
It's been a few weeks now but......

On pickup we noticed a cm size chip all the way to the bare metal above the drivers side brake light on the inner side of the tailgate. We have to bring the car in sometime this week to get it touched up.

There was an interior plastic cover missing just below the hood latch. Took our salesman 1hr to replace this. He was oh so super busy.

Overall the whole experience sucked , our salesman was always too busy for us, doing many things at one time which made it very annoying. I'm also surprised no one called to follow up on how we were doing with the car. Our experience with our Lexus dealer makes them look like a bunch of snobs in comparison. They were all sorta rude, it seemed as if we didn't even exist. The entire staff looked like they didn't want to be there.



The two huge things we love about this car is the M seats, it's super supportive compared to the standard ones. Me and wifey feel right at home when we sit in it. Secondly the M package front to back looks awesome. I'm sorry to those guys who love the 3.0 turbo engine but no way was I going to scrap the M package for the extra power. The 2.0 turbo does just fine absolutely no complaints on it's capabilities to get up to speed for the freeway and passing others is a breeze.

The child seat fits perfectly in the middle and was very easy to install. We all went out to dinner including in laws and everyone felt comfortable only thing we're trying to figure out is why the AC doesn't blow cold after driving for 6 minutes or so, it seems as if there's a setting we're not aware of.

The start stop button is annoying definitely turning that off for good. Maybe in bumper to bumper traffic but for normal commutes no way.


Now we're still trying to get used to the ergonomics and what all the buttons do and setting up the profiles etc.


One more thing is the leatherette feels a little weird almost feels like a thin sticky material compared to the one we test drove. But it's all good nothing we're gonna cry over.

Thanks to everyone here for all your inputs and advise.
Make sure the dial in between the vents is set to blue. If it is set to the middle or red, the ac won't come out near as cold.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM
bmw_again bmw_again is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 246
Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Make sure the dial in between the vents is set to blue. If it is set to the middle or red, the ac won't come out near as cold.
Speaking of the AC, in general I find it quite adequate, but is the air flow speed supposed to be automatically adjusted? Even in the worst of the Texas summer, our AC would show only one bar for fan speed. You can changed it manually, but it just remembers the last setting and keeps using that.
I'm almost sure I'm missing something, because in my e46 in auto setting the air flow keeps changing on its own depending on the conditions
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
JhonnyBgood JhonnyBgood is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Lexus
I think I found what was wrong, I had the resirc on A but when I put it on M I find that the air is consistently cold. This was on a 25 minute drive. Manual says A means it automatically switches on or off depending on the quality of air outside.



I also noticed an empty spot in each headlight where there isn't a bulb is this normal? if so why the extra projector housing?

Last edited by JhonnyBgood; 10-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 PM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,544
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_again View Post
Speaking of the AC, in general I find it quite adequate, but is the air flow speed supposed to be automatically adjusted? Even in the worst of the Texas summer, our AC would show only one bar for fan speed. You can changed it manually, but it just remembers the last setting and keeps using that.
I'm almost sure I'm missing something, because in my e46 in auto setting the air flow keeps changing on its own depending on the conditions
Even on low fan speed, the fan speed is variable and control by the computer. try lowering the temp. and you will hear the fan speed pick up and the bar remain stationary.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM
The X Men The X Men is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,544
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
I also noticed an empty spot in each headlight where there isn't a bulb is this normal? if so why the extra projector housing?
Some BMW use the inside light for cornering lights. The X3 use the fog lights for cornering, I am sure its another one of BMW's cost saving measures.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
02420X3 02420X3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 607
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyBgood View Post
I
I also noticed an empty spot in each headlight where there isn't a bulb is this normal? if so why the extra projector housing?
Got Xenons? The low/high beams are on the same light, and are controlled by a shutter. The "empty" light is there for symmetry and to keep the look consistent across lighting options.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms