Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi (E90)
Question 2008 BMW 328xi Battery Replacement Questions

Okay so the battery in my 2008 BMW 328xi has never been replaced since the car was newly bought and I'm thinking it's on it's home stretch since the portable battery testers they use at Autozone are saying it's bad.

Now initially I thought well it's just a battery how big of a deal can it be?....but the more research I did the more confused I got, mostly about the whole business with AGM batteries and battery registration. Either way I know that the dealer quoted me $430 for a new battery and registration. A local indy quoted a bit less at $380...but this is still a lot for just a car battery.

My stock battery doesn't seem to be an AGM one since it has the little magic eye thing that displays green still. The label on it reads as follows:
S: 61 21 8 381 765
AW: 61 21 8 381 764
12V 90Ah 720A
160RC 720CCA

My question to you guys is this:
Will a simple EverStart Maxx battery from WalMart work just fine? It's got the vent port and looks like it would fit just fine.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...roduct+Reviews
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...roduct+Reviews
The specs and warranty look good, and at a bit over a hundred bucks installed it's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting an AGM battery installed and registered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130820_164126.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	392672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130820_123143.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	392674  

Last edited by Yangorang; 08-20-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Infamous06

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw x3 3.0i
umm a battery is a battery... get a good one that fits and it will give your car power to turn over ......

Black
Mans
Whip
Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
But the wrong battery (or an unregistered one) can cause problems over the long haul. Your original battery lasted 5 years, how much longer are you keeping your car?

Tom
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Pretty much for as long as it runs...it only has 23K miles on it so far so heh...
The registration seem to be most important when switching between lead-acid and AGM types?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
OK here is the deal. Find a battery with the same CCA and close on the AH rating. Walmart if they have one would be fine. Advance Auto has an exact replacement and others too. Once you have the battery I suggest the following. Use a small voltage source to keep all presets and the electronics happy. When I do this I simply use my Battery Tender Junior attached to the engine bay jump lugs. Disconnect the negative cable first and be careful with all cables. The IBS is part the negative cable and I protected it from damage and bungied it out of the way. Use Utube to see how to disconnect the connectors that hold the cabling on top of your battery. You should also have some hold down bolts that are long like maybe 8" on the inside toward the trunk or aft toward the rear of the car for the battery itself. Remove and take pics before removal all the hardware you remove. Once you get to the positive post if it is like most you will need to disconnect a few other cables to eventually get the positive cable off. Mine and typically most use a 10mm socket to loosen a hold down clamp for both pos and neg posts. Protect the positive cable too since it has power running to it with the source you have to keep your presets. The vent hose comes out and then with nothing holding the battery and sufficient clearance the battery should come right out.
Installation is the reverse.
Now if you have an OBDII cable you can travel over to the E90 forum under this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727091
Smooth has software that will run on your laptop and allow you to register your own battery. No OBDII cable? Think about buying one or see if anyone in your area will let you use it for about 10 minutes. I have used Smooths software and others and it works just fine. Also don't sweat the fact you might not get the battery registered right away. After all the IBS to DME software and firmware is there to increase your battery life. A month or two will make little difference in the battery life.
Now if you choose to use a different CCA and AH battery you can still register your battery using Smooth's free software but it will provide the wrong charging algorithm for your new battery. This is where coding comes in to set change the AH to what is available in the BNW software. Thus the reason to stay with the right or close CCA and AH battery.

In the end if you are careful it simply isn't that hard. When you get this all done disconnect your source for powering the electronic memories and try to start your car. I have done this before on these cars with zero issues no codes, etc. However if you are rough with the IBS on the negative cable and break it you are now looking at a couple hundred bucks needlessly wasted.

There are no special tools to do this and the registering of the battery is simply not that hard. OBDII into the car follow Smooth's instructions and you will have it done.
Hope this helps...

Last edited by fun2drive; 08-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
There was some kind of recall related to a battery cable earlier this year. I have an 07 E90 that was covered under this and used that as my excuse to go to the dealer to get a new battery as mine was nearing the end of its life too. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was about $330 installed plus tax. There is a little more to removing/installing this battery than there is for cars where you just raise the hood and there it is. Also, as the poster above said, there are lots of electronic memories to protect and while you can recover them, or reinstall later, I thought it was more of a PIA to do that than just get a BMW tech to do it. Same reason I would not trust a Walmart guy to do it, although I am sure some indys would know the procedure.

Last edited by MikeTerp; 08-20-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
...The registration seem to be most important when switching between lead-acid and AGM types?
It's important no matter what battery is installed; even replacing a lead-acid with another. Even if they're the same brand and product number. The IBC changes charging current as the battery ages by tracking internal resistance.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM

So if I find the same type battery with 90Ah capacity and the same or higher CCA I should be able to simply use BMWLogger along with a K+DCAN cable to just do a 1click new battery registration right?
Does someone know of a battery for sale that matches the 90Ah 160RC of my original battery? I've been having a hard time finding a close match.

How can I confirm the battery currently in my car is the lead-acid type? Am I correct in assuming it is lead-acid because it has the little magic eye thing?

Last edited by Yangorang; 08-21-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
OEM BMW batteries that are white are non-AGM, lead acid. Black is AGM.

You won't damage anything (well if you want to get technical, a weak battery will strain your electrical system, mainly your starter and it can cause it to prematurely fail), but you will shorten the life of the battery. If an improperly spec'd battery is installed, the car will either under or over charge it, decreasing the battery's performance and lifespan.

Battery registration does 3 things:

1) Tells the car a new battery is installed
2) Records the battery's condition at 80% charge for reference
3) Logs mileage

There are many charging profiles stored within the car ranging from 56Ah to 110Ah, AGM and non-AGM. The more important aspect you maintain is that your keep the same type of battery, AGM vs non-AGM. AGMs charge differently than non-AGM batteries. They store current differently and have different charge rates and maximum charging voltages. Ah rating just refers to the reserve capacity. The higher the rating, the longer it can provide power.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
There was some kind of recall related to a battery cable earlier this year. I have an 07 E90 that was covered under this and used that as my excuse to go to the dealer to get a new battery as mine was nearing the end of its life too. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was about $330 installed plus tax. There is a little more to removing/installing this battery than there is for cars where you just raise the hood and there it is. Also, as the poster above said, there are lots of electronic memories to protect and while you can recover them, or reinstall later, I thought it was more of a PIA to do that than just get a BMW tech to do it. Same reason I would not trust a Walmart guy to do it, although I am sure some indys would know the procedure.
Battery recall actually didn't affect the battery. It was the positive cable connection going from the battery distribution block, to the fuse panel behind the glove box. And if your issue was truly under the recall, it would have been free. Recalls are always free. Service bulletins are not. They only outline and document common and known issues and remedies.

The car itself doesn't store user settings, like radio presets, seat positions, etc. All those user settings are stored in the key fob. They only setting that gets erased after disconnecting the battery is the time and date. The car will re-initialize it self after power is restored, with the exception of the SAS sensor. However, driving a few hundred feet and turn the steering wheel lock to lock will re-initialize this sensor.

EDIT: Yea I read that wrong, sorry.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-21-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Btw switching from non-AGM to AGM and vice versa requires coding the car, then registering the battery.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM

Question

Annoyingly I still can't seem to find an aftermarket battery that matches up just right with the original. Here's what I have so far:

Original: 720CCA 720A 160RC 90Ah
Everstart Maxx H8: 760CCA 140RC 76Ah according to ProductExpert / 150RC 80Ah according to 686810
Duralast H8-DL: 825CCA 1000A 150RC 75Ah
Autocraft 49H8: 760CCA 950A 160RC 95Ah (closest I've seen but I haven't got an Advance Auto around here)
Super Start Extreme 49EXTJ: 900CCA 1080A 185RC ??Ah (O'Reilly guy simply said Ah isn't important)
Douglas 61 21 8 381 762: 650CCA? 720A 175RC 90Ah ; $115.60 + shipping from BMWPartSupply.com
Exide 61 21 7 586 962: 720CCA 720A 160RC 90Ah ; $234.54 + tax from dealer ; $187.63 from BMWPartSupply.com
Interstate MTP-H8: 720CCA 900A 176RC 85Ah ; $252 installed and registered by indy shop

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Yangorang; 08-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
Douglas filed for bankruptcy last year and is in liquidation. Don't buy one unless you don't care about a warranty.

Exide filed for bankruptcy reorganization in June of this year and is trying to shed debt and environmental claims so it can continue in business. This is the second time around for them. They say they will continue operating, but who can be sure.

Johnson controls now has most of the battery market and sells a number of house brands.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Bosch makes the batteries for Excide by the way.
Douglas I don't know about.
Also white is the color at least for my AGM E93 335 battery. I replaced it with the same AH and close CCA again with an AGM.
Just get it close. If you are within 10-15% it isn't really going to matter much especially if the replacement battery is a little more capable since you can't overcharge the battery that way.
Also IBS gathers way more information than just "resistance" which it provides to the DME to determine the charging algorithm. I can consult my technical documentation on this but there are about 10 other parameters that it collects.

Yes the current K+DCan OBDII cable should allow you to reset the registration back to a new battery. I suggested Smooth's software since it is free to members and works.

No one can tell you to include BMW what improvement in battery life this provided. This is again another example of an overly complex solution to a problem that isn't a problem. My background is electrical engineering and while this would be fun to build a system like this its utility vs cost to register is questionable...

Last edited by fun2drive; 08-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
Douglas filed for bankruptcy last year and is in liquidation. Don't buy one unless you don't care about a warranty.
I've heard that the Douglas batteries are higher quality though?
Since it's also cheaper it might still be a good buy for me. Personally I've never had to warranty a battery in any car I've ever owned. They always end up lasting way past it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
No one can tell you to include BMW what improvement in battery life this provided. This is again another example of an overly complex solution to a problem that isn't a problem. My background is electrical engineering and while this would be fun to build a system like this its utility vs cost to register is questionable...
Amen to that....whatever happened to the average guy being able to simply plop in a new battery for under $100?

Last edited by Yangorang; 08-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Don't overlook purchasing one from your dealer. When our E46 battery died a few years ago the dealer sold me a nice white OEM for $98 bucks ..... poped it in myself ....... I was amazed.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM

So another question: AGM batteries from what I understand are supposed to be more hardy overall right with longer lifespan and lower discharge? Yet they seem to cost a crapload more and generally have shorter warranties? My opinion thus far is that they're not worth the trouble - does someone want to convince me otherwise?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-sport
Totally lucked out last year with AAA.
My battery died on my '08 535xi and the AAA (under my fater-in-laws plan) guy came out and was fantastic. Funny, at first I was like "but this is a BMW" but within a few minutes I could tell he knew his stuff. Lucky, I'm not the hot head I used to be.
Total cost for replacement and labor was $140!!
For once I was very happy with the price...and service.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
OEM BMW batteries that are white are non-AGM, lead acid. Black is AGM.

You won't damage anything (well if you want to get technical, a weak battery will strain your electrical system, mainly your starter and it can cause it to prematurely fail), but you will shorten the life of the battery. If an improperly spec'd battery is installed, the car will either under or over charge it, decreasing the battery's performance and lifespan.

There are many charging profiles stored within the car ranging from 56Ah to 110Ah, AGM and non-AGM. The more important aspect you maintain is that your keep the same type of battery, AGM vs non-AGM. AGMs charge differently than non-AGM batteries. They store current differently and have different charge rates and maximum charging voltages. Ah rating just refers to the reserve capacity. The higher the rating, the longer it can provide power.
I'm glad I came across this thread at the right time. I was having significant charging issues and had to replace the alternator. But the car came with an O'Reilly Super Start non-AGM battery, and according to RealOEM and my dealer, it should have an AGM battery. Even though the battery is less than a year old and tested good, I decided to replace it to ensure I avoid any future battery issues and popped for a BMW battery: $326+tax through the dealership.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Alright so in the end I got an Interstate MTP-H8 installed by a local indy shop. It was $187 for the battery and then $42.50 for the registration.
I could've probably done it myself but the Interstate warranty is quite long and they don't charge the $42.50 again if it needs to be replaced under warranty.