Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
Hesitation / trans slipping

In a previous post I said that my 2011 550 GT had a hesitation problem. The dealer had the car a few times for almost 3 weeks total. I thought they fixed it the last time by replacing the injectors (for the third time) and the 02 sensors. They also repaired an oil leak they found at the rear main seal. It worked for a day or so but now its even worse.

Its like driving down the road at a steady speed and the transmission slips and catches all the way down the road. You can feel it in the seat of your pants. Normal bumps go up and down. These go front to back. BMW admits there is an issue.

I'm now waiting for the regional tech to go to my dealer and he/she will work on it.

I'll keep you updated.
Ads by Google
Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
This maybe a long shot, and I am not able to speak to the "transmission slipping" but we had severe hesitation and our 550 GT was hesitating and bucking like a bronco. We had a number of ignition and injection parts replaced trying to fix our issue. The problem was completely fixed....knock on wood after we had the intake cleaned. Some people have the intake cleaned with a technique called walnut blasting if I remember correctly. We were told only that our BMW dealer cleaned our intake. We paid $256. After the treatment our throttle response and power was vastly improved. I was told that we had "carbon build up" which is common with direct injection engines. There is not a specific code that denotes carbon build up. Our dealer tried to clean the intake only after they were out of options. They had changed most everything else out related to fuel delivery and firing before finally resolving our issue by cleaning out the intake. This is part of recommended maintenance, and is rarely if ever covered under warranty, but if you feel as we do you will be happy just to have you GT running properly. We now use Chevron Techron regularly with Shell 93 V-Power. We do not have non ethanol Top Tier fuel available in the Houston area. You might check to see if Top Tier fuel is available in your area. I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is when your 550 GT twin turbo 8 cylinder engine is not operating anywhere close to how it should be. Best of luck. Please let us know what you find. I could be totally incorrect with my input to your situation. I hope you are back on the road soon.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
FWIW, BMW (and a bunch of other vehicle manufacturers) have a list of recommended fuels. If you do NOT use one of those, they also recommend regular use of a fuel system cleaner. You can get the details at www.toptiergas.com. Manufacturer testing has shown that many of the fuels sold today do not keep the engine parts clean...thus the impetus to find those that do provide those detergents in sufficient quantities to keep engines running properly long-term. The suppliers that get on the list get tested on a regular basis to ensure they remain qualified. Some brands literally contain NO detergents, may or may not be cheaper to purchase, but are VERY likely to create problems (sometimes expensive!) down the line for you. For example, at maybe saving of 2-3 cents per gallon, how long would it take to repay the cost of cleaning the intake not counting the loss of efficiency and aggravation it causes while things gradually get worse.

The adage, pay me now or pay me later comes to mind...FWIW, around where I live, SHell costs about the same as many others, and IS on the toptiergas list.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM

They removed and cleaned the intakes already. They even bore scoped the cylinders looking for carbon build up. SO I guess you are correct in that it is an issue. But mine were clean. They found a couple wet plugs which they thought was the engine running too rich. SO they replaced and reprogramed the fuel injectors. But I guess there were some issues with the injectors so they replaced them again. Then they had a new design injector that they replaced them with again. But it didn't solve the problem.

I'm still waiting for the regional rep to come. I'm not bugging the dealer since they have been more than accommodating in trying to get this thing repaired. But as time goes on it is getting worse and worse. Maybe they will be able to figure it out when the rep gets in.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I still LOVE the car. :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I would like to bounce the ball again to help you. I also think this particular line of reasoning should resonate with our local Gran Turismo in house "engineer" Jadnashuanh. My profession is heavy truck sales. 90% of the time when my guys ran into a long diagnosis it would be something simple that was basic to the operation that was overlooked. I am not familiar with our fuel delivery system, but there maybe something up stream. To ionize the fuel properly these pressures are high, and if not correct there would be a noticeable issue with power moving the vehicle. The GT could idle with no issue. These vehicles are technologically advanced, and it is possible that the GT is de-rating power itself. There should be a code I would think because the GT is in protect mode, but I am just attempting to toss this around. Ignition is the other part of this equation. Why would the firing not be adequate? Is the GT breathing properly. Is there an obstruction in your air system. Have they even looked at your air filters.?. I know you frustrated. I wish you well. Just thought we might look at the basics. It does not hurt to ask them if they have thought about this or that. They get down a particular line of thinking, and sometimes loose sight of the entire picture. Best of luck. Let us know what they find.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 AM

I know there are no codes. So maybe its a mechanical issue. Just my guess. I'm taking it in tomorrow so hopefully it will be looked at soon after its there. I really don't drive it anymore because I'm afraid I will do more damage to it.