Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richk582 View Post
What type of lawyer would handle this type of litigation?
That's a question that I don't feel qualified to answer. Our business uses a larger firm, so in cases like this we would leave that to them.

Any lawyers on the forum?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
Different responses from different customer service people is often suspect.
I would suggest waiting until Jon or someone with connections can get us an official response.
As far as lawyers, depending on how far it goes, may end up costing as much as an after market suspension upgrade.
I'm not saying to roll over, but it doesn't sound like we have an official response yet.
This is probably better advice at this point.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
I am working with my dealership on my 2014 550i that was built in July. The lack of 704 is very noticeable. The sales manager has been very responsive and I am hoping my quantity of cars purchased will help in some small way. If I get to resolution I will update you guys.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Quote:
Different responses from different customer service people is often suspect.
I would suggest waiting until Jon or someone with connections can get us an official response.
As far as lawyers, depending on how far it goes, may end up costing as much as an after market suspension upgrade.
I'm not saying to roll over, but it doesn't sound like we have an official response yet.
I would welcome additional suggestions from Jon (or any other dealer) in regards to this issue. Really taking the wind out of my sails. I was excited to goto Germany and pick up my new car, now i really just dont want to go anymore. how can i get excited about it now? Not so much about the whole suspension thing, but just how the company is treating me before i even take possession of my car. Can only imagine what will happen if i have to deal with customer relations later. Not really excited to be an advocate for a brand that really seems they don't care about me or my concerns/problems. I had better treatment from Chrysler when i had problems with my current Jeep.

As far as an official response, that was BMW telling me the official response, he made it clear he was given authority to make those decisions. So, i dunno what other "official" response we can get.

My dealer is trying to work other angles as well. Hopefully he can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

These are my points i tried to get Sean to understand.

1. Current M-Sport package is the same price ($3,050) as it was when i built the car. So, why are september builds getting more for the same price?
2. All marketing material and the website indicated that M-Sport suspension was included with the M-Sport trim. MY13 cars had it, so one would assume MY14's would as well (and they do after September)
3. If it wasn't an oversight or mistake, why would they add it back in the build 2 months after they started production? When i built the car it didn't say that 704 would only be available after September.

All of which he didnt have an answer to and just said they built what was promised.

Pictures from September 2, 2013 ED
Video from September 2, 2013 ED
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
just cancel your order or refuse to take delivery

you did not get what you paid for
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
***What is BMW doing about the July/August LCI missing the 704 Msport Suspensio

This is totally unlike BMW. Hopefully there is some misinformation here as to BMW's decision. I will work through this with my dealer and hopefully order another F10 as I had specified with the M Sport with the M Sport Suspension. If that does not work, I will do what is appropriate to let others in the media, both automobile trade press, on line publications, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal, know about BMW's total, dismal failure on this. Of course, I will send a copy of my purchase agreement of a new Audi A6 to BMW NA. Of course I will never purchase another BMW, after 8 of them in 12 years. Of course I will share the cost of litigation. BMW's biggest asset is its brand and image which will not be enhanced by the mud hitting the fan. The whole thing is morphing into a gigantic waste of good will, prestige, money and time. Hopefully a previous poster posted misinformation and BMW will act in a professional manner as they have in the past.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
It's been in the air from the first BMW representative response:
- No retrofit.
- Pre-delivery you can choose to re-order a car fitted with 704.
- Post delivery, sorry mate.

My guess is that any delay in providing a "solution" was for BWMs lawyers to examine any validity to a litigation. Seems like they think "you got what you ordered" is water tight.

Last edited by solstice; 08-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
- No retrofit.

My guess is that any delay in providing a "solution" was for BWMs lawyers to examine any validity to a litigation. Seems like they think "you got what you ordered" is water tight.
You definitely have much more leverage in scenario (2) to not accept the car and re-order with the proper suspension.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
You definitely have much more leverage in scenario (2) to not accept the car and re-order with the proper suspension.
Yes, in short there is no special handling of the no 704 cars. It's handled like any other car purchase. You can reject delivery until you take delivery and after that you are stuck with what you bought.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
- No retrofit.

Of course. This was always about goodwill.
That said, if this IS their response, the 128 convertible my wife was looking at will never happen, nor will any future purchase by me, and if I can help it, my family and friends.
What is the cost of that, times several thousand disgruntled owners? It's just business, right?
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'd say it was the bean counters determining what is the path of least cost. They may have asked the lawyers some questions, but lawyers like to spend and businesses don't.

At this point it seems refusing delivery is the safest option. To those that already took delivery, I don't know how to get their attention. Class action status for deceptive sales practices comes to mind, but that's probably more expensive than several of the cars. May be why they're willing to go that route. That's a shame, makes me think less of BMW (note that this is on the assumption that there was conflicting info out).
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
***What is BMW doing about the July/August LCI missing the 704 Msport Suspensio

My 2014 535i is in production since last week for Sept 9th ED. Since it was August build I called my CA and BMW ED dept. both of them confirmed that 704 is part of the build sheet and showed it to me and I made sure to take the copy.

So now atleast I have in writing that 704 was part of the August built cars also.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-P View Post
My 2014 535i is in production since last week for Sept 9th ED. Since it was August build I called my CA and BMW ED dept. both of them confirmed that 704 is part of the build sheet and showed it to me and I made sure to take the copy.

So now atleast I have in writing that 704 was part of the August built cars also.

The "SOP September" was just a line to cover their a$$. They knew about the issue and made the changes just around mid-August. If your car started production in mid-August there's a high chance you get 704 (and in your case yes you are getting it per VIR).

If the car has finished production in July/early August, it does not have 704.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richk582 View Post
I would welcome additional suggestions from Jon (or any other dealer) in regards to this issue. Really taking the wind out of my sails. I was excited to goto Germany and pick up my new car, now i really just dont want to go anymore. how can i get excited about it now? Not so much about the whole suspension thing, but just how the company is treating me before i even take possession of my car. Can only imagine what will happen if i have to deal with customer relations later. Not really excited to be an advocate for a brand that really seems they don't care about me or my concerns/problems. I had better treatment from Chrysler when i had problems with my current Jeep..
If this was last week I would definitely suggest you to ask your dealer to re-order the car. Given that you are going to pick it up in a week it's probably not going to work, but you should still try. Tell your dealer that Customer relations told you that you can re-order it.

Then find out what is the earliest date you can take delivery if you can re-order. See if you can make modification to your trip. I know for me there's no way to change my trip at this point w/ most hotels paid for. I'd definitely hate to get stuck with a car for the next few years that has a crippled package. Luckily I was able to re-order my car last Friday for 9/17 delivery.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
I have been following this issue for the last two weeks very closely. No, I do not have an F10 on order, but that hardly means it doesn't affect me. One thing has not been cleared out for me and I would REALLY like to know the answer ...

Is this BMWNA debacle or is this BMW debacle? And no, actually, hell, no! are the two the synonyms or the same thing. We DO know that on order sheets there is no 704 code, but what I would truly like to know and would appreciate very much to learn is

- did 704 get dropped by BMWNA and then order sent to Germany

OR

- did M Sport get sent to Germany and 704 stripped THERE?

Thanks to whomever can answer that question with 100% certainty.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
If this was last week I would definitely suggest you to ask your dealer to re-order the car. Given that you are going to pick it up in a week it's probably not going to work, but you should still try. Tell your dealer that Customer relations told you that you can re-order it.

Then find out what is the earliest date you can take delivery if you can re-order. See if you can make modification to your trip. I know for me there's no way to change my trip at this point w/ most hotels paid for. I'd definitely hate to get stuck with a car for the next few years that has a crippled package. Luckily I was able to re-order my car last Friday for 9/17 delivery.
I cant make any travel plan changes, and i cant re-order at this point without screwing up my whole trip. Im hoping the dealer will work some magic and come up with a solution.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Are those of you with mid-August builds "getting what you ordered"? Or did your order not have 704 and now you're getting it?
Please chime in with when you ordered and whether your build sheet had 704 specifically listed.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 PM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Quote:
Are those of you with mid-August builds "getting what you ordered"? Or did your order not have 704 and now you're getting it?
Please chime in with when you ordered and whether your build sheet had 704 specifically listed.
Mine was to be built the 2nd week of Sept it was in 112 status. After they modified it to my request, they bumped it up and started building it last week. It still has the 704 on the build sheet, but we'll see when it gets here. My dealership told me if the 704 wasn't on it when it got here, they'd reorder it.

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:

My car was manufactured on 8/8 and does not have 704. I have been patient up until now waiting for a firm statement from BMW or my dealer regarding a retrofit at the VDC before I take delivery, but I'm not getting the feeling that BMW is going to do anything for its customers that have been caught up in this debacle. Their behavior is just really unfortunate.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow and make a decision then about whether to do an order cancellation/reorder scenario.

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Mine was to be built the 2nd week of Sept it was in 112 status. After they modified it to my request, they bumped it up and started building it last week. It still has the 704 on the build sheet, but we'll see when it gets here. My dealership told me if the 704 wasn't on it when it got here, they'd reorder it.
That's a different scenario since anything started building mid-August gets 704.

I am sure what Sonicendeavor asking for is this:

Initial VIR on said vehicle does not have 704
Updated VIR on said vehicle lists 704
Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I think it's fair to refuse delivery if you aren't getting what you thought you were getting.

If the dealer is willing to retrofit the car then it would be kind of jerky to stick them with a hard-to-sell custom ordered car. Retrofitting this car shouldn't take more than a few hours of labor once the parts arrive.

BMWNA messed up and they should pick up the labor and the parts.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy View Post
I think it's fair to refuse delivery if you aren't getting what you thought you were getting.

BMWNA messed up and they should pick up the labor and the parts.
They should, but they aren't.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Hi All,

New member here and paying close attention to what's happening. The vehicle that I ordered has an actual production complete date of August 22nd. The latest vehicle inquiry report that I received today from the dealership with "Status 193 - Arrival at Port or Compound" does NOT show 704 M suspension.

Last edited by rtypec; 08-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
Hi All,

New member here and paying close attention to what's happening. The vehicle that I ordered has an actual production complete date of August 22nd. The latest vehicle inquiry report that I received today from the dealership with "Status 193 - Arrival at Port or Compound" does NOT show 704 M suspension.
Welcome to the madness
Backdating from an 8/22 completion date, your build would have started around 8/14. I wonder if 704 was installed starting on Monday 8/19.
20/80 Highway/City

Last edited by Sonicendeavor; 08-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
I heard back from my dealership sales manager, who had contacted his corporate production-related-matters person. They indicated that my car did not have 704, and that BMW is not planning to retrofit my car, at the VDC when it arrives on 9/12, or at any other time.

I've had it with this issue - I canceled the order and will reorder today.

2014 550i, Dark Graphite Metallic, Mocha Nappa, Anthracite. M Sport Pkg w/704, Exec Pkg, Luxury Seating, Heated Seats, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, LED Lighting Pkg, Side and Top View Cameras.