Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 MR
2007 M Roadster Service engine soon light

I've had my car since November 2012 with 31000 miles. Since the temperature warmed up I've put seven thousand miles on the car with no problems. About one week ago I filled up with gas and the service engine soon light came on sometime afterwards. I thought there might be some water in the gas so I let it go and the light went off after a few days. The light came back on again so I took the car to Autozone and they did the scan and it shows vanos problems. The car runs good with some hesitation when first starting off but does not miss any while driving. The engine is very quiet and starts up good.

The light is still on with no other indications. Is it OK to drive or troubleshoot and repair.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
You need to get the exact codes before going too much further. The vanos system has a lot of components and corrective action(s) will depend on the exact fault code. For example you may have a faulty intake and/or exhaust solenoid which may be an easy fix. You need some one with the right scanning tools to point you to the specific issue. Might even be worth the hour or half hour labor cost to get the car to your nearest dealer.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM

I haven't had time to make it to service and get codes from the car but I ran the car almost out of gas (just hoping it was a bad tank). Filled it up and drove around for about ten minutes and the light went out. I drove the car probably about one hour and the light came back on! This same scenario happened once before? I do plan on getting the correct code even if I have to buy the code reader.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Service engine soon

Took my car to the shop. They replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor. They gave me a call and said some of the codes went out but the SES came back. Everything was pointing to the VANOS assy. I ask them to put the car back together and provide the codes.

The codes were 2A92 2A85 29D1 29D2 29CC 29D9 2A2F 2AA5

After the camshaft sensor replaced all codes but 2A92 AND 2A85 WENT AWAY.

The SES light is still on. $ 400 paid.

Any help?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 AM

Service Engine Soon

Is there a code list for the M Roadster on the forum? I am also looking for a code reader, Any recommendations. I can rebuild the parts needed like the VANOS Solenoid Assembly if the parts are available.

I am learning the car and intend to fix my problems myself within reason. If someone could point me in the right direction for some parts and repair manuals.

Trying to understand this Service Engine soon light and all the different things that set it off is very confusing. I have the light now and the car runs good, maybe it is not running as good as it should and I'm not pushing it hard enough driving on the road.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 IB M Coupe
Looks like he was using a Peake tool to read codes. Here are the code descriptions:

2A92 Exhaust VANOS 1, control

2A85 Exhaust VANOS variable cam control test

I got these from the Peake Research PDF here. I would try to get the codes read with DIS/INPA. You'll probably get a more descriptive result. Also you could try to contact Beisan systems, they're BMW Vanos experts. That website has a ton of information on it. Look at their vanos solenoid replacement page, it lists some codes associated with a failing solenoid.

Hope this gets you closer to finding a solution.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks very much, that looks like it will work for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Oh by the way, I absolutely love driving this car!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 5sp. w/hdtp
I have a similar issue with my 02, 2.5 Z3. Codes advise faulty air solenoid valve and faulty air system relay...I'm somewhat mechanically minded, but these items escape me...

Assistance in explanation much appreciated...
Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Without being an expert on BMW computer and the faults my understanding is the systems are connected to the computer and provide a signal to turn on a light. This could be the component or the wire.

Hope that helps
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
You might want to check out Dr. Vanos web site. I replaced mine in March.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks, I will
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 AM

My follow-up Service Engine Soon Light

I do appreciate all the post from others. I bought a cable from BMCables and it came with the
software mentioned in the forum. I've studied on how to run the software and reset my SES light. I took the car for a test drive and the light has not came back on. There is still a learning curve to learn the programs but it seems to work OK and worth the $57 paid.

You can feel the difference in power with the light out. My reading of the VANOS system is that with the light on the VANOS is not working. Let me know if I'm understanding it correctly.

I will update when the light comes back if it does and hopefully with codes.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMCables.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	400777  
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Well that post didn't last very long the light came back on! I ran the INPA and the errors came back so I cleared again. Looks like repairs will be necessary. Error 1 is P0013 B Camshaft Position - Act Circuit open bank 1. Not exactly sure which one that is but sounds like the VANOS solenoid. Error 2 is 2A85 Auslass-VANSOS,Ansteuerung.

Not sure if these aren't the same fault or different ones?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM

I ordered my VANOS solenoid from beisansystems. Replaced the solenoid and O rings. That VANOS system makes a difference! The light has been out on all my test runs today. Usually it comes back on right away after resetting.
Wasn't an easy task but better than paying some dishonest repair service that takes advantage of folks. BEISAN Systems is a reasonable purchase and it worked like a charm!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:40 AM

Love this car! Update SES

Just to let all know the repair of replacing the VANOS Solenoid from BEISAN Systems is still working great! Just drove the car about 1300 miles with no problems. I did replace the oil with Redline 10w-60w. The car is fantastic ride and drive on the road and gets 24 MPG on the highway. It now has 43,000 miles with no problems.