Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
2014 drivers side mirror adjust problems

Got new X1 last week. My wife is short and the drivers side mirror adjust does not pan-in enough for to be comfortable to use. Does anybody else have this problem?
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Yes, I noticed the same thing. I like to have about a quarter of my mirror reflect my vehicle for better perspective. I noticed that when the mirror is tilted mostly upward, the mirror won't pan in enough. I managed to find an adequate position by tilting the mirror downward.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks...as a stop gap she is moving the mirror inward (like folding for carwash) but to do so it has to come off track which is not a good long term strategy. Saw other info that the european models have a convex mirror which would explain and work for them. Heard that if the dealer orders a new mirror, the result would be the same or marginally better at best.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Re: 2014 drivers side mirror adjust problems

Maybe you should try and adjust your mirrors properly so that they DON'T show your vehicle. In the end it is personal preference.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

I object to the suggestions of that article based on my driving needs and experiences. Let me explain: I frequently pass on single lane highways. Just before I pull out, I want a quick glance of the traffic CLOSE behind me and relative to my vehicle. I do not want to have to look away at my rear view mirror in that instance. What that article suggests is perhaps more useful in multi-lane highways. Secondly, I also frequently have to drive in places where motorbikes, mopeds and bicycles drive between cars. It's illegal, annoying and dangerous but it's a fact of life. So I'd rather be able to see them and avoid a painful accident by making as much room as possible for them. At any rate, as you say, this is a personal preference based on one's driving needs.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by imua1 View Post
... Saw other info that the european models have a convex mirror which would explain and work for them.
You can probably order a European mirror (just the mirror part) at some place like Schmiedmann.com.

I hope your wife isn't sitting too close to the steering wheel - I've got a neighbor (horrible driver) that is short and cranks the seat high and forward and hunches over the wheel, with her chest/face about 1 foot away. Very dangerous if the airbag ever deploys.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exozune View Post
Maybe you should try and adjust your mirrors properly so that they DON'T show your vehicle. In the end it is personal preference.

================

It would be a big paradaigm shift to adjust per the C & D article and there would be other problems created with doing it that way as you can see from the other posts. To accomodate all sizes of drivers and preferences, the travel needs to be more than it is.

Dealer shares there is a service bulletin out for the X1 to relocate the mirror stops. Something about mirrors designed for glare control feature. Have an appointment next week and will report if works.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: X1
2014 drivers side mirror adjust problems

I think it's a bad tradeoff to be able see your car in the mirror and have a large blind spot. You should know where your car is because you are sitting in it. Anyway I use to adjust mirrors so I could see the side of the car but in ambulance driving school they taught us the safer way to do it. Just my 2cents.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
================

It would be a big paradaigm shift to adjust per the C & D article and there would be other problems created with doing it that way as you can see from the other posts. To accomodate all sizes of drivers and preferences, the travel needs to be more than it is.

Dealer shares there is a service bulletin out for the X1 to relocate the mirror stops. Something about mirrors designed for glare control feature. Have an appointment next week and will report if works.
You are right, it would be different. However, thats the way I've always set up the mirrors in my vehicles since it is the best way. After all, their purpose is to try and mitigate the blind spots, not let you see your own vehicle. As I mentioned on my post, its personal preference. Humans are creatures of habit, and some habits die hard. To each their own. I was simply making a suggestion that works for me and my family.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I think it's a bad tradeoff to be able see your car in the mirror and have a large blind spot. You should know where your car is because you are sitting in it. Anyway I use to adjust mirrors so I could see the side of the car but in ambulance driving school they taught us the safer way to do it. Just my 2cents.

+1

Most professional drivers use this set-up
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Couldn't agree more on the not seeing your own car mirror set-up. It's proper and more safe. It does take getting used to and most people resist change as it's out of their respective comfort zone.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
2015 Rally Red Civic Si Coupe...STOCK!
2013 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, FM Supercharged, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exozune View Post
You are right, it would be different. However, thats the way I've always set up the mirrors in my vehicles since it is the best way. After all, their purpose is to try and mitigate the blind spots, not let you see your own vehicle. As I mentioned on my post, its personal preference. Humans are creatures of habit, and some habits die hard. To each their own. I was simply making a suggestion that works for me and my family.
Thanks for your suggestions and opinions. And of course mirrors are not a substitute for a quick head check before lane changes.

Remember the issue is the side mirror range of travel in the X1. The shortened pan range does not allow for individual preference of different owners and is not in the norm of how most all other cars operate. Lastly, as mentioned earlier BMW service acknowledges this as an issue and has a recent service bulletin to fix this.

Mahalo
Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Re: 2014 drivers side mirror adjust problems

I know what the issue is. I'm noticing a trend with BMW owners though. Don't know if I like it. Hopefully BMW solves this for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
tsatsom:If you're on a single lane highway and you want to know what's going on behind you, use the rear view mirror. You should be doing this frequently and a good bit prior to pulling out. You should have good situational awareness and know where the cars are at all times, not just when you think it matters to you.

I realize it takes a little time to get used to using mirrors without your car reflected in them because you have to get used to not having that anchor point frame of reference in the mirror, but it really is the better way and I hope your wife will give it a try.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the advice supagoat. To lighten the mood, I think I have two better solutions to the problem:

Mod 1:

Mod 2: Replace the panoramic roof with one of these:

Last edited by tsatsom; 08-23-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: x1 x28i
I ran one of these in my track car. When you've got a HANS type device on you can't turn and look. Side mirrors were always set wide so that I couldn't see any of my car. I set the X1 the same way. No blind spots that way. fwiw my wife is 5'2" and likes to see the side of the car and the mirrors adjust ok for her. But ymmv.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Dealer fixed the mirror problem. There is actually a service bulleting for it, # SIB 51 06 13. Involves moving the mirror bumper stop.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
Quote:
Dealer fixed the mirror problem. There is actually a service bulleting for it, # SIB 51 06 13. Involves moving the mirror bumper stop.
Thank you imua1: Finally, BMW has acknowledged this issue. I have been complaining about this for a year. And every time when I posted about this, the post turned into a lecture of how I should adjust my mirrors - instead of a technical problem with the vehicle.

I had my X1 mirror replaced by the dealer to no avail, hopefully now a $0 fix will solve it.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Quote:
Just got a new X1, without any surprise, I am facing the same problem.
Thank you imua1!

BTW,
where can I find more details of this technical service bulletin information?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist View Post
Just got a new X1, without any surprise, I am facing the same problem.
Thank you imua1!

BTW,
where can I find more details of this technical service bulletin information?
All I know is that the number is SIB 51 06 13 (your dealer sve department should be able to look it up) and it involves moving the mirror bumper stop(s). It worked for us and it took only an hour or so to accomplish.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i M Sport
Just posted this on the other thread about this problem, please have your dealer's service guys look at PuMA Measure 53675293-01 if they can't find the service bulletin.

Here in Canada, that was the only info the dealer could find; I'm booked to get it fixed Wednesday, I'll leave an update after I get it done.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2.8 x-line
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsatsom View Post
Yes, I noticed the same thing. I like to have about a quarter of my mirror reflect my vehicle for better perspective. I noticed that when the mirror is tilted mostly upward, the mirror won't pan in enough. I managed to find an adequate position by tilting the mirror downward.
Sorry to tell you but there's nothing wrong with the mirrors, your not supposed to see the side of your car when your sitting in a normal seated poisson. I ride a motorcycle, and I am constantly watching peoples side mirrors to see if they can see me, and most of the times I have to drive way behind them, or very close to the side of there cars so they can see me., because there mirrors are pointed to far in. I just did a quick search and here is one of many sites showing how your mirrors should be aimed.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: X-1
Quote:
Got new X1 last week. My wife is short and the drivers side mirror adjust does not pan-in enough for to be comfortable to use. Does anybody else have this problem?
Same issue for my wife when we bought the car last fall. After talking to the service mgr he too talked about the way the "Folks" in Europe position their mirrors and how we in the US are doing it wrong. Anyway, about 5 months ago he called me and said a service bulletin has been released and to come in and the fix would be made. I believe it was replacing a small spacer or something like that. Wife is happy now. :-)

FYI.... since my X-1 doesn't have a "back-up" camera I want to see a small bit of the left or right fender/bumper as I back into a close quarter area, but maybe that is just me.

Last edited by WADitz; 07-03-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
You know how the mirror can be popped over innocently while cleaning?

Gently push over one notch to the driver, then it might go farther in.

Might be about same thing as dealer moving notch, but a time saver.