Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
T-stat housing not covered by warranty?

Anyone else have any issues with getting their extended warranty to cover the thermostat housing? My car overheated last night, took it to the dealer today. They say my water pump was leaking and thermostat housing was cracked. Service writer tells me water pump will be covered, thermostat housing will not and it's a $300 part.

My theory is that if my water pump failed, which in turn caused my car to overheat and in turn caused the housing to crack, and they are covering the water pump - shouldn't they cover the thermostat housing too?

I'm being told that this is considered a "regular maintenance" item by my warranty company. I have a 2008 335i. Trying to fight them on this and get it covered, so I don't feel as though I purchased an extended warranty for nothing! Any advice?
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
T-stat housing not covered by warranty?

Does your warranty paperwork say anything specific about this? Talk to the warranty company and tell them what you just said.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM

There are no specifics in the paper work. I spoke with the service writer at the dealership, who relayed the information from the warranty company. I think I will do just that and call the warranty company myself first thing in the morning.

I was just curious if anyone else had run into the same problem, seeing as how I have read in several forums that cooling system problems are common.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Your extended warranty will very clearly indicate what it covers and what it does. Just because a covered part that failed caused another uncovered part to fail, does not mean the uncovered part is covered.

I'd rather have to foot the bill on the thermostat housing than foot the bill on the pump. Have you checked for the housing online? I am surprised it is that expensive of a part...it's just a plastic housing, no? Do they charge you labor? It might be worth a discussion because I believe they have to remove and reinstall the housing anyway to replace the pump. Since the pump is covered, I believe they should not charge you labor for replacing the housing, they should only charge you for the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM

No, my extended warranty does not have a clear list of parts that are covered and parts that are not. There is an exclusions page, which clearly states that any neglected issue that later causes damage or more damage will not be covered.

Based on my exclusions, since I took my car in right away and all of the problems stemmed from a mechanical failure, it should be covered.

And yes, the plastic part is that expensive. That is the price for the part only, not labor. Hard to believe, I know. I do not have the time to purchase one online for a cheaper price, as I need my car back ASAP. Nor do I have the desire to purchase a cheaper aftermarket "upgrade," as they are most often not cast perfectly and will cause more problems down the road.

I did call my service writer this morning and explained all of this to him and how I am having a hard time swallowing this pill since it all came about because of mechanical failure, and he even agreed that I have not been negligent in any way. So he agreed to call the warranty company back and give it another go to try to get the part covered. I let him handle it because most often the warranty company and dealership have a built up rapport.

But it's really bad when you go over all of this with them and they say, "Well it seems you know more about it than I do." And based on that response, if he does not call me back with satisfactory news today I will then call the warranty company myself.

I brought it back to the dealership where I purchased the car, which is a privately owned used dealer. Lesson learned. From now on I will go to the BMW dealership!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Here comes trouble!

Who is this warranty through? The plan most BMW dealers sell clearly states what is not covered, sometimes in broad terms, sometimes in very detailed terms. I know the thermostat/housing would be called out on the plan BMW most frequently sells (three tier plan). Is this through another company then? It seems unusual that a plan would not have at least a clear inclusion or exclusion list.

Hope they get it taken care of for you. As a reference point, I think Mike Miller calls out a metal cast thermostat housing her prefers to use as an aftermarket part to the plastic OEM housing. Seems like it might be cheaper and have increased longevity, though I have not investigated myself. At 60k miles, I suppose I should start investigating now so I have a plan of action when the housing and/or pump goes, and they both always go eventually. Good luck with yours! Seems like we cannot help much here since this is an issue between the warranty provider and you.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 08-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM

I purchased the warranty at the same privately owned used dealer where I purchased the car. It is through Warranty Solutions. The service manager I spoke with this morning told me it's a very good warranty. Of course they will say that if it's their go to product for their finance managers to sell, though!

I will know next time I purchase an extended warranty to ask for more details about the information the company will provide in reference to coverage and exclusions. Learning process. I did purchase the top tier coverage from them because I know parts for my car are expensive.

I asked the SM how many times he has encountered someone who says "Oh, my car is at 90,000 miles so I need you to replace my thermostat housing." He basically said none, people replace them when they break. I said now you see my point. This is not a "regular maintenance" item. (This was their reason for denying coverage on the housing.)

He said he knew exactly what I was looking for and he would call Warranty Solutions for me and see if he could get them to cover the part for me after all. We shall see! Thanks for the input, even though it's not really much help.

I will have to look further into the aftermarket aluminum housings. Everything I have looked at so far says they performed well for several months, then started leaking so they were replaced with the plastic OEM part again.

I now know I really need to keep a close eye on the cooling system and make sure I stay on top of it. I've also seen on a few forums that the cooling system problems come into play at around 90k, and my car is at 92k so this seems to be accurate in my case.

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope the end result will be in my favor!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Here comes trouble!

I always keep a close eye on cooling system parts once I hit 60k on my cars. I have yet to own a car that doesn't at LEAST need the thermostat replaced before 100k miles. At that time, I generally replaced the housing as well. I'd also replaces hoses at 120k miles if they are still original at that time. Some even swap a radiator then if they really want to be proactive.

Since timing belts were so common on many older cars, if the water pump makes it to 120k miles, I'd generally replace it too when the belt is changed, though the non-electric pumps are a lot cheaper than the electronic water pump on the E9Xs.

So, they are not maintenance items per se, but the are wear items for sure and very often do break before you'd perhaps just swap them to be on the safe side. But as a general rule of thumb, after 60k miles, I tend to expect to find a coolant leak eventually on the car and at that point it is usually the pump, thermostat (housing) or the overflow tank. If it happens closer to 60k miles, I'm a bit disappointed, if I can get near 100k, I feel like I can't complain too much.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 08-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBimmer View Post
No, my extended warranty does not have a clear list of parts that are covered and parts that are not. There is an exclusions page, which clearly states that any neglected issue that later causes damage or more damage will not be covered.

The good news is: You can sue!

That's right BeccaBimmer, you are afforded the right to stake your claim on that nefarious, slippery, snake-oil oozin' warranty company!

I say: Give 'em heck, and then some....don't let this slip by! If they do it to you, they'll do it to everyone - make that small claims judge feel your pain!

Photo of typical aftermarket warranty insurance salesperson:

Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
The part is $120 from the dealer. It comes out with the water pump. The must be trying to charge you double on labor. I would call them on that. To clarify, If they are covering the waterpump then the thermostat is at most 30 minutes extra labor.

Last edited by jburke4689; 08-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.