Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Honda
How long does a X1 take to build?

How long does an X1 take to build? My car has been listed as in production for two days now
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2013, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 XDrive X1 28i
It takes 40 hours on the production line in the factory. I say that based on a quote I read from a BMW exec a couple talking about how the new i3 (made in the same factory as the X1, in Leipzig) can be produced in half the time of their other cars - and the i3 takes 20 hours.
see: http://wardsauto.com/plants-amp-prod...ing-efficiency

That 40-hour ("about a week") timeframe also was confirmed by BMW USA person I spoke to on the phone when I called to check on the status of my production. My sense, from my build (which is ongoing) is that being listed as "in production" does not necessarily mean that they actually are putting the pieces of the car together.

Also, if you are interested, here's a video of the factory putting one together:

Here is my timeline, so far:

-July 25 - Ordered. Dealer requested production for week 32 (Aug 5-9)
-August 1 - Status changed to "Production Started;" estimated production date 8/13
-August 7 - VIN obtained; production confirmed for week 34 (August 19-23)
-August 20 - Estimated production date changed to 8/22
-August 21 - Entered assembly based on info from BMW USA. (Asked to talk to a person after voice mail system and owner website show no changes.)
-August 22 - Assembly completed, status changed on dealer-accessible web page to "handover to carrier/load assignment". BMW voice mail production status updated to reflect this status; BMW owner website tracking still shows (as of this afternoon) status as "production begins."

My car showed up as "in production" from August 1 until August 21. On the Owner access website, as of this morning, it still shows up as "production started," even though the automated telephone check, and checking with a person, and the dealer (who emailed me a screen shot of his info yesterday), say it is finished and waiting to go/on its way to the port. So as reported in multiple threads, the owner-accessible website often runs behind the actual status.

This is the most comprehensive guide to tracking your status that I've found -
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/ho...d-to-delivery/

But there are multiple threads on several blogs on this topic and many good nuggets of info to be gleaned from posts about the experience of others. I forget which thread on which forum, but there's one post that tells you how, if you have an iphone, to set up your phone to dial the BMW automated status line and then automatically walk it through the inputs (by inserting pauses, then pushing the right number, then automatically entering your production number, etc.) so that you can obsessively check the status. It works, and I'm sure the same process would work for other phones.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: X1

[QUOTE=FLX1;7791639]It takes 40 hours on the production line in the factory./QUOTE]

+1
Mine was 5 days from the time it went into production until it finished.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM

FYI, the BMW USA "My BMW" owner accessible site for my build just changed from "production begins" to "production ends" this afternoon. So it was about 24 hours behind what my dealer and BMW insiders can see.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM

My car is estimated to be finished tomorrow the 27th. Let the transportation wait begin
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: x1 x28i
That's the longest part
Old 08-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Mine was completed on August 22; on Aug. 23 the BMW voicemail status changed to "has been completed and released to a carrier for transport to the port of exit" or something like that; on Aug. 24 the voice mail changed to "your vehicle is being transported to the port of exit;" today I was told it has arrived at the port. Now I'm trying to figure out which ship it MIGHT be on, just for fun. Don't know how many cars are in front of it, what the turnaround time in port is for one of these car carriers, but I'm thinking that they don't want the ships sitting around long and don't want the cars backing up at the port. Looks like there are a couple of W&W car carriers headed to Bremerhaven, and a couple of K-Line, as well, with varying departure dates. Boheme (W&W) is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and leave again tomorrow, if I'm reading the W&W schedule correctly. Asian Emperor (W&W) is supposed to arrive in Bremerhaven on Sept. 3, and depart the same day. So I'm hoping mine will be on Boheme...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda

We ordered ours on July 30th. I don't recall when production started, but it was completed on 8/14. It got to the port on 8/17.
It's still waiting there...

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM

Well hopefully yours is on a ship soon enough. How many ships set sail for the u.s from BMW a month?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 AM

Two car carriers in port at Bremerhaven right now. Boheme (W&W) arrived last night, Chesapeake Highway ("K" Line) just pulling in now.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 AM

Link to port cam- http://www.blg.de/de/blg-logistics/s...am-automobile/
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM

For those of you who have had a car sitting at the port - the Boheme has just left Bremerhaven. It will be headed to Belgium, then the US East Coast. You can check to see if your car is on that ship using your VIN at the WW website as detailed in other forum posts, and that's supposed to be pretty reliable. You also can see the schedule for where and when it is scheduled at various ports along the way. I've read on a couple of posts that sometimes the online stuff doesn't get updated, so if you check and it isn't showing up, your dealer should be able to tell you if your car is on that ship. If it isn't on that one, there is at least one other car carrier in the port right now, and a couple of others headed that way, from what I can tell looking at the various schedules.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Since the 17th when our car got to Bremerhaven, there have been two ships that departed for Port Hueneme (near Los Angeles). The most recent was the Mignon which departed on 8/24. We aren't on that one, unfortunately. The next W&W ship scheduled to depart Bremerhaven for Port Hueneme isn't until the Toronto on 9/7, if I remember right. That puts the offloading at 10/2 in PH. Considering there could always be weather issues, pirates, acts of God, etc. to delay the ship, that's cutting it kind of close. Plus, you never know how long its going to take to get through customs, get shipped to the VPN, then the dealer, then get prepped and LoJacked...

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM

My car finished production today, what do you think the chances are it will be on one of these ships?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM

It took mine 3 days to move from the production facility to the port. It got there on the 17th and its still sitting there as of this afternoon. But I'm a West Coast guy. There are more ships that call the East Coast ports than the West Coast ports. The reason being that many of the ships that call Port Hueneme and Tacoma, also stop at Brunswick, GA or Galveston prior to entering the canal. Since there are several ships that ONLY call east coast ports, east coasters have more opportunities for delivery. A ship from Europe that goes through the canal to the west coast of the US almost always stops at an eastern US port prior to entering the canal. Rarely does a vessel come to California direct from Europe. So if you are an east coast guy, your odds are much greater that you'll get it in a timely manner. That being said, every minute I don't see that blue and white rounder outside my window, is pure Hell.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Unfortunately In this case I'm a west coast guy. Under any other circumstance I am happy to be on the west coast. My car is going to California, I'm hoping its on the next ship to head to the West Coast. I'm very excited to get my X1 as well but it's gone relatively quick so far having been over 2 weeks already. The busier I stay the faster it goes. I'm sure it will make the first time I see it, that much more exciting, as I said I hope it's on the next ship hitting the west coast, does anyone have any idea what the next ship heading to the West Coast??
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM

The next Wallenius and Willhelmsen ship to depart Bremerhaven for Port Hueneme doesn't leave until 9/7, arriving~ 10/2. But I don't know what the schedules are for ships from other lines like APL or Maersk.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
My Build:
X1 xDrive35i
M Sport
Le Mans Blue Metallic
Sand Beige 'Nevada' Leather
Ultimate Package
Heated front seats
Light Fineline Wood Trim
18 in. all season tires

I am taking delivery at my dealer in Richmond, VA. Then doing the "Performance Delivery" in SC after the plant tours resume after May, 2014

Been at the port since 8/13, not on a ship yet. I am selling my 2008 Infinity EX35 to my dealer tomorrow. Then will be out of the country until 9/18. Dealer is going to give me a loaner car if my X1 is not here on 9/18 - which I doubt that it will be??
Can't wait to get the X1! Was getting pretty concerned about when it would arrive until they told me re. the loaner.

Last edited by PowhatanDP; 08-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM

It looks like The "Toronto" is leaving September 7th for an arrival of 10/9/31 that's the vessel that's leaving Bremerhaven the soonest.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Wow September 7th, arriving October 9th - that's a long wait. Looks like I will be in a loaner car for 3 or 4 weeks.

Last edited by PowhatanDP; 08-29-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
It takes 6 - 8 weeks for production and delivery. They shot down the plant and halt all production in the month of August, though, so if the order is not completed prior to the stoppage you can experience an additional three to four weeks delay on top of it.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM

BMW and Mercedes did not shut down in August this summer.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2dac1Kw25
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 PM

Right. Ours completed production on August 14th, so clearly the plant was is operation during early August.
The problem is that it's just been sitting on the docks since then.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Mine got to the port on the 26th, so I'm behind you.
Just for fun, and because I can, I am tracking every possible (mostly W&W-affiliated) car carrier that I've found that is scheduled to stop in Brunswick (where my car will be offloaded) between now and the end of October, so I have been watching them coming and going at the various ports. Interesting. Some of these behemoths hold something like 7,000 cars, although I read somewhere that Bremerhaven has space to park about 100,000 cars, so this is large-scale and complicated logistics.
Regardless, there have been several boats that have come and gone from Bremerhaven in the past couple of days- Boheme left a couple of days ago, Faust just left, Asian Emperor has been making lazy figure 8's in the North sea for several days, and I think is expected in Bremerhaven on Sept. 2, and a couple others are on their way.
Obviously, more than BMWs are coming and going, but for a car to sit at the port for weeks, while 3 or 4 ships come and go, tells me that either there's a backlog, or they are waiting for enough BMWs to have a BMW cargo for a trip, but I really have no idea- that's just speculation on my part.
I don't know what the "usual" time at the port is, and assume it may vary based on different times of the year, but I assume the logistics are pretty well wired and someone, somewhere, has an idea about the average amount time cars spend at the port waiting for a boat, and, more important, exactly when and on what boat your car and mine will be shipped. No way is there somebody at the port saying, 'ok, we got this empty boat here, what do you want to put on it?' There's a shipping agent somewhere in charge of scheduling these things...
Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 PM

Certainly. The part that's bothersome is the lack of information. I would feel a lot better if they would say, "Your car scheduled to depart on the Millennium Falcon on September 5th." It's not the waiting that is so unsettling, it's the uncertainty.