Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
back to the 5 series

i previously had a 12 535i. nice car, but i got it off the lot and was missing a few options i wanted. it also had the throttle tip in problem that would never get fixed. out of frustration i traded it for a 13 GS350. nice car, just not a bmw. after 4 months i found somebody to assume my lease (dealer told me it had $5K negative equity, not that desperate to get out of it). i'm in the final stretch of trading it in, so i decided to get my next car; just signed the paperwork

13 550i alpine white/cinammon
M sport
executive
driver assitance
heated seats
sun shades
black kidney grills
wheel locks

MSRP: 74,063

yes the kidney grills and wheel locks were on the window sticker, never seen that before. got the car at invoice minus loyalty and build out. so $2500 under invoice. base money factor, 15K/yr lease, payment is $761 + tax. not too bad (actually really good IMO )

love the car so far, but had a few questions

1- heads up. i was under the impression that i can have phone info, playlist, etc displayed on the HUD. i only have three check boxes under the HUD display settings. what gives?

2- how can i enable the top view??? i'm trying to park in my garage and the rear view camera and the PDC is displayed. i hit the camera button and the side view cameras came up, how the hell do i get the top view?

thats it for now, love the car. love the color combo. but mostly love that V8. no hesitation, no throttle tip, it's just amazing.

Last edited by omaralt; 09-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M6, B7, LX570, CGT
1, don't you get the info on head up display when you scroll with the thumb wheel?

2, while you at the back up camera screen, press down iDrive knob once to switch to Top View
Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMtheJJ View Post
1, don't you get the info on head up display when you scroll with the thumb wheel?

2, while you at the back up camera screen, press down iDrive knob once to switch to Top View
Thanks. No I don't. I don't know if this has any correlation but my navigation is not activated. They couldn't get me the code today I'll have it Monday. Thanks for the top view
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Thanks. No I don't. I don't know if this has any correlation but my navigation is not activated. They couldn't get me the code today I'll have it Monday. Thanks for the top view
Also can you enable top view if in drive? Pulling into a parking spot or close to a curb
Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Also can you enable top view if in drive? Pulling into a parking spot or close to a curb
of course and that's why there is the P button on the left side of gear shifter: hill descent control, front side cameras and Parking sensors plus cameras.

you click on the P (green led lit up) when you pulling into a parking spot, that'll give you either back up camera or top view depending on your last selection with front and rear parking sensors with directional acoustic warning

click on the P whenever you feel unsure about a spot or tight turn to active your top view, great for drive thru, avoid the curb when front it or just for no reason silly fun lol
Old 08-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
NP. that's weird, I mean the selections are right, and you don't need to active Navi in order to see the media screen. I never played with the settings and I don't even think there is a setting for it, you either have it on your instrument cluster right under the tachometer or when you active the HUD, the info is displayed there instead.

weird, there might be a setting that I don't know of, but I never actually had to do anything to get the info on my HUD.

does your instrument cluster has a full LCD info display along the bottom portion or only from the middle and runs under your tachometer?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
NP. that's weird, I mean the selections are right, and you don't need to active Navi in order to see the media screen. I never played with the settings and I don't even think there is a setting for it, you either have it on your instrument cluster right under the tachometer or when you active the HUD, the info is displayed there instead.

weird, there might be a setting that I don't know of, but I never actually had to do anything to get the info on my HUD.

does your instrument cluster has a full LCD info display along the bottom portion or only from the middle and runs under your tachometer?
thanks for your help; ya i'm really confused as to why. here is my HUD settings screen and the current software version. i wonder if it needs a software update?

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img703/1023/07ox.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img546/2550/y64r.jpg]
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
thanks for your help; ya i'm really confused as to why. here is my HUD settings screen and the current software version. i wonder if it needs a software update?

well yes and no, there is a newer version software out for Bluetooth which you can download here http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp;

but u don't need a software update to have the info displayed on HUD, and the software again is only for Bluetooth not the actual system
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM

so what do u see when you use the thumb wheel? do you have display showing on your instrument cluster? and also post a pic of your instrument cluster might help
Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
so what do u see when you use the thumb wheel? do you have display showing on your instrument cluster? and also post a pic of your instrument cluster might help
when i use my thumbwheel i see the info scrolling on the instrument cluster; nothing on the HUD. do you have an extra selection under hud settings?

[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img850/1693/k1ms.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2316/pux7.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img689/8639/87i6.jpg]
Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
You need to code it to get that information in HUD.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Nice car congrats, I have the same combination but 535xi and no multi contour seats

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
You need to code it to get that information in HUD.
No you don't. I drove a stock 2013 335i off the lot and saw that info.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
No you don't. I drove a stock 2013 335i off the lot and saw that info.
On the 5 series, which I thought you drove at one point so you'd know this, you don't get the info on HUD unless you code it. Maybe on the 3, but not the 5. I've never seen it on any of the six 5ers I've driven, including mine.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
On the 5 series, which I thought you drove at one point so you'd know this, you don't get the info on HUD unless you code it. Maybe on the 3, but not the 5. I've never seen it on any of the six 5ers I've driven, including mine.

I didn't have HUD.

I'm pretty sure that this is also active in the 5, as a 6 I drove has it as well. Perhaps it's new for the 2014's.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528i, 09 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I didn't have HUD.

I'm pretty sure that this is also active in the 5, as a 6 I drove has it as well. Perhaps it's new for the 2014's.
2014 has it included, but 2013 you need to code it to show entertainment & phone info on HUD.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Hey, so I just confirmed with my "coder", the HUD check box info and recent calls info have to be coded on F10, and the features are included in the 2014 as well as other cars like the 3 series. I always have my car coded and never thought the features weren't included to begin with.

Now that solves it, u just need to have your car coded, and it's better coded a anyway...
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM

i've also noticed i no longer have the ability to configure the sport/comfort settings. in my previous 535i i was able to configure sport to only affect the suspension/steering and not transmission. i'm no longer seeing this option.. did they do away with it in 13? i also no longer have eco mode (not that i care). but i now only have comfort, sport and sport +. maybe it's because i dont have dynamic dampers?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
i've also noticed i no longer have the ability to configure the sport/comfort settings. in my previous 535i i was able to configure sport to only affect the suspension/steering and not transmission. i'm no longer seeing this option.. did they do away with it in 13? i also no longer have eco mode (not that i care). but i now only have comfort, sport and sport +. maybe it's because i dont have dynamic dampers?
Yeah, can't config sport mode on '13, too bad; and you should have at least all four modes, they are standard. picture again?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Correct. You have the passive sport suspension, not the DHP.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Correct. You have the passive sport suspension, not the DHP.
thats the suspension everybody's going crazy about huh? lol i do notice that this one sits lower and rides firmer (in a nice way) than my previous 12 535i M sport (had the dynamic dampers)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: '12 F10 535ix Sport
Quote:
Your car must have Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) to configure Sport Mode to affect chassis, engine or both. On your 2012 with MSport, DDC was part of the MSport package (or on a 2012 (non-M) Sport, part of the Sport package). In 2013, the MSport package omitted DDC, which became a stand-alone option that you had to proactively order to get.
2012 535i xDrive / Dark Graphite Metallic II / Cinnamon Brown Dakota Leather / Sport Package w.Dynamic Damper Control / Sport Automatic Transmission w.Shift Paddles / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package

'12 Triumph Speed Triple R Launch Ed.
'11 A4 Avant (gone)
'10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S (vroom!)
'09 X5 35d (gone - a tank)
'05 Tuareg V8 (gone)
'97 T100 (still haulin')
Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
thats the suspension everybody's going crazy about huh? lol i do notice that this one sits lower and rides firmer (in a nice way) than my previous 12 535i M sport (had the dynamic dampers)
That's the one.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
So no eco mode in F10s with passive sport suspension? Not that I care either
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
So no eco mode in F10s with passive sport suspension? Not that I care either
I think it's no Eco Pro on 550s. I think they figure 550 owners don't care.