Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
just wanted to update this thread; got the car coded for the following:

- HUD: added media and phone functions. amazing, cant for the life of me understand why it wasnt enabled
- can now close windows by holding the lock button on remote
-can close trunk via interior button or the button on remote
-enabled tire pressure on idrive

the car is amazing. still waiting to get a few more miles before i really unleash it. was hoping for a bit more sound from the exhaust, but i understand that's not what this car is about. i am considering puting a dinan exhaust with the 20% special this month
Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post

- HUD: added media and phone functions. amazing, cant for the life of me understand why it wasnt enabled

the car is amazing. still waiting to get a few more miles before i really unleash it. was hoping for a bit more sound from the exhaust, but i understand that's not what this car is about. i am considering puting a dinan exhaust with the 20% special this month
Tell us more about why you got out of the GS so quickly. The automotive press wants everyone to believe that car is everything the 5 series used to be and nothing that it is today.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Tell us more about why you got out of the GS so quickly. The automotive press wants everyone to believe that car is everything the 5 series used to be and nothing that it is today.
LOL at the GS. I test drove the GS FSport 2 weeks ago and it should never again be mentioned in the same sentence as any 5 series car. The interior was just OK, but the engine was weak and unrefined and the dated transmission was very slow to shift.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
the GS wasnt a bad car, but IMO the engine is underpowered (or under-torqued). not much grunt off the line. the interior was nice, but you honestly dont feel like it's on par with the 5. the mouse controller was also not as good as the iDrive. honestly, it was just boring. exterior the bmw is much better looking as well. but it's not a bad car, and honestly if i wasnt able to find somebody to assume the lease i would have been fine driving it for the next 20 months. when the dealer told me $6K negative equity i assumed i would be driving it for the next 20 months, and i wasnt too upset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
LOL at the GS. I test drove the GS FSport 2 weeks ago and it should never again be mentioned in the same sentence as any 5 series car. The interior was just OK, but the engine was weak and unrefined and the dated transmission was very slow to shift.

i dont know, i think the GS is in the same league as the 528 or maybe even 535i (depends on how it's optioned). i would take my old GS350 over a stripped out 528 or 535i any day. and the engine, while underpowered was not unrefined. it was actually silky smooth up to redline. fun car, but you do feel like it's lacking torque and soul. transmission is definitely not near as good as the 5's, but from what i understand the it will have an 8 spd for 2014

Last edited by omaralt; 09-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
I thought the GS350 had a pretty nice interior, base material inside is better than the F10's in my opinion. I do agree about the powertrain though, not enough low end torque and it need a 8 speed transmission or a dual clutch. Overall, the driving experience is just not the same as the F10. Even the GS F-sport did not feel as involved as the F10. If one can get pass that over aggressive look of the F-sport's front end, the handling was actually a bit better than the F10's, even with the M-sport. As mentioned earlier, the GS' drivetrain is a bit of a let down and the steering, although pretty stiff, is still very Lexus like and feels artificial. Overall, the GS is much better than the last gen, but the 5 series is still the benchmark for the midsize luxury sport sedan segment.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM

back to the 5 series

I realize that Lexus did some good work on the GS' chassis. But the closer I look at them, the more they look the same as the previous car, but with different plastic effects bolted to the outside.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:

I think coding the side mirrors to fold when you lock the doors and the rain sensor, AC, Auto Start Stop to save the last setting is really worth it too.

increasing the rain sensor sensitivity as its not very sensitive is helpful too.

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I realize that Lexus did some good work on the GS' chassis. But the closer I look at them, the more they look the same as the previous car, but with different plastic effects bolted to the outside.
My old 08 Lexus GS350, I can feel and hear the body flex when I push the car thru a quick turn. The new Lexus GS' chassis is suppose to be 14% more rigid. I wonder how the GS' chassis rigidity spec. compare to the super rigid F10 chassis.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
[QUOTE=omaralt;7825543]just wanted to update this thread; got the car coded for the following:

the car is amazing. still waiting to get a few more miles before i really unleash it. was hoping for a bit more sound from the exhaust, but i understand that's not what this car is about. i am considering puting a dinan exhaust with the 20% special this month[/QUOTE

Any coders in SoCal area - Orange County/Los Angeles?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM

aaannnd the car is back on the market for lease transfer! you can see the great deal i got in the original post, let me know if your interested. my car ADD is getting bad, and i'm considering moving to a cayman
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
aaannnd the car is back on the market for lease transfer! you can see the great deal i got in the original post, let me know if your interested. my car ADD is getting bad, and i'm considering moving to a cayman
Try to drive a Cayman for at least a day, preferably a weekend, before you commit to one as a daily driver. I had a Boxster S for a little while. It was everything they say, but I felt a little rumpled whenever I drove up in it. I also had an X5 at that point, so the Boxster was just a fun car for me, and good thing because I would not want to have had only it to live in every day.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I recently drove the new Cayman. Was pretty much set on it being my next car as well. It's awesome but yeah might be tough as a DD. The size is something you'll have to get used to, especially if you get claustrophobic, you give up some creature comforts I think, and as brilliant as the "S" motor is, one thing you'll miss about the N55 is that V8 like low-end torque, like most Porsche non-Turbo Flat 6's, you have to really wind it up to feel it kick.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.