Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
S54 Cold Start Reprogramming

I had the S54 cold start reprogramming (per service bulletin) done today. So far so good. I have not found any scratches or dealer screw-ups. Yet.

Contrary to the postings of one of the brighter lights over at Roadfly* (hint: sarcasm) the throttle response is not any different. The car drives the same. Just starts better.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2004, 06:37 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I had the S54 cold start reprogramming (per service bulletin) done today. So far so good. I have not found any scratches or dealer screw-ups. Yet.

Contrary to the postings of one of the brighter lights over at Roadfly* (hint: sarcasm) the throttle response is not any different. The car drives the same. Just starts better.
What version did you get?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Too much is never enough

Mein Auto: 01 M roadster
Agree with Jon. Dealer upgraded mine last year; substancially improved cold start but no better throttle response. Installed sport mode last week during the hurricane, now there's your improvement in throttle response.

01 M roadster, F: GC/Koni short coilover struts, Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, GC tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece.
06 Hemi Durango
04 G35 Coupe
05 Scion xB
07 Scion tC
89 Reynard F2000
Old 09-11-2004, 05:08 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Actually when I had it done to my M3 the throttle response was slightly differnt, but noticeable.

And the cold start issue got WORSE. In fact, I didn't have a cold start issue before the "upgrade", but I do now.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-11-2004, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
What version did you get?
Almost impossible to know for sure with this dealer. Service record says:

"41 PERFORMED REPROGRAMMING
3240 W40 0.00"

Old 09-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Actually when I had it done to my M3 the throttle response was slightly differnt, but noticeable.

And the cold start issue got WORSE. In fact, I didn't have a cold start issue before the "upgrade", but I do now.
Just to add to the mix...

Mine was done right before Homecoming. The cold start problem isn't completely gone, but it seems to be reduced. Previously it would often stall a few seconds after the first cold start. Now it drops in rpm for a second or two, but not as far and hasn't stalled yet.

No change in throttle response on mine. However, I basically never have the cold start problem if sport mode is on. I think I mentioned before that I suspected a lean condition (and originally suspected a fuel delivery issue, because I could never repeat it on the second start). Since my controller restores my sport mode and DSC settings from the previous start, and I often use sport mode, I don't see the cold start problem very often.

Would be interesting to hear what Ron and John have discovered poking around w/ the OBD II.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:54 PM
M Mad

I never have it stall. But prior to the later oftware (mine was done last winter/spring) the car would start and run fine when cold. Some idle speed variation, but nothing major.

Now it has major idle speed variations and seems to almost die at times, but so far hasn't ever died.

I agree that it is probably a lean condition, due to cold start emissions requirements. We never had these problems before emissions controls. But the black smoke on cold start was somewhat annoying.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-12-2004, 07:18 PM
BMW Z4 Coupe

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Question S54 cold start problem

My S52 M Coupe had a terrible "cold start problem".
My S54 M Coupe has never had a "cold start problem", compared to my S52.

I have had several software updates done to my S54, but
I did not notice much difference after any of the updates. Am I missing something?

I do not really notice a throttle-response hesitation with my S54 either.

I have been driving a 3.0 Z4 6-speed, with a "Sports Mode" the last couple of
days while my S54 M Coupe is at the BMW dealer for some work.
I really notice a difference between the "normal" mode and the "sports" mode on the Z4.

Maybe I would notice a throttle response difference, with a "Sports Mode", in my M coupe, if I had a "Sports Mode".

I understand that the S54 M Coupe and Roadster has the "Sports Mode", like the S54 M3,
but it is not wired. I also understand that someone has created a "setup kit" to wire and install a button on the console of the M coupe/Roadster.

Is this true?
Would this void the S54 warranty, if installed in the S54 M Coupe/Roadster?
Pros & Cons?
- 6-speed
- Sports Mode
- Sports Suspension
- BBS CH 18" wheels (8.5" & 10.0")
- ///M Sport Seats
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Too much is never enough

Mein Auto: 01 M roadster
Is this true?
Pros & Cons?

God, I hope not. I've only had my Sport Mode for a week and already I'm addicted. I would probably yank it if I tossed a rod, but it would go right back after I got the car back.

01 M roadster, F: GC/Koni short coilover struts, Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, GC tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece.
06 Hemi Durango
04 G35 Coupe
05 Scion xB
07 Scion tC
89 Reynard F2000
Old 09-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by QikSilver
Is this true?
Pros & Cons?

God, I hope not. I've only had my Sport Mode for a week and already I'm addicted. I would probably yank it if I tossed a rod, but it would go right back after I got the car back.
The DME knows you activated the sport mode, and (I'm told) how often.

I had this discussion with my service writer a couple years ago, but I don't remember the outcome. You would be in bigger trouble, if when doing the mod, you fried the DME. Sport mode doesn't increase peak RPMs (like some software does) so it would be tough to say it caused a rod (an already known possible condition) to fail.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-12-2004, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: '91 318is
Please excuse the ignorance, but what exactly happens or doesn't happen with the cold start up problem?
I have never had a problem starting my car, but I would like to know what the symptoms are should it start happening.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
Speed mode

Just buy the Shark Injector,It virtually elliminates the need for Sport Mode.We know.That has alreadybeen proven.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Meth lab in basement; shh

Mein Auto: '02 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC///M
Just buy the Shark Injector,It virtually elliminates the need for Sport Mode.We know.That has alreadybeen proven.
I only want a more aggressive throttle map. I have zero interest in raising the rev limiter and I'm not all that sold on the cost/performance ratio of the Shark. Given the relative cost of the Sport Mode (even with a Firestone controller) and a Shark Injector, for me Sport Mode is a no-brainer.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:45 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
The DME knows you activated the sport mode, and (I'm told) how often.

I had this discussion with my service writer a couple years ago, but I don't remember the outcome. You would be in bigger trouble, if when doing the mod, you fried the DME. Sport mode doesn't increase peak RPMs (like some software does) so it would be tough to say it caused a rod (an already known possible condition) to fail.
According to JimC who posted source code, the DME registers Maximum Speed, Maximum RPM, and RPM over a certain RPM level (on the E46 M3 that is 7900). NOTHING about Sport mode.

Also, the dealer cannot readout this info, the DME has to go back to BMW NA for this to be read.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-19-2004, 03:47 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrlls
Please excuse the ignorance, but what exactly happens or doesn't happen with the cold start up problem?
I have never had a problem starting my car, but I would like to know what the symptoms are should it start happening.
On some cars when started cold have significant RPM changes during warm up. In some cars the low swing is low enough for the engine to stop running. One those where it doesn't stop, it seems like it my.

No real big deal, just annoying to some. But it is a fact of high performance engines, and more so with emissions requirements.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 09-19-2004, 05:02 PM
M Fans

Mein Auto: S54 M ROADSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
so it would be tough to say it caused a rod (an already known possible condition) to fail.
That means it will keep the warranty?
Old 10-01-2004, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: '01 M, '98 M3/4
I took my 2001 in yesterday for a cold start issue. My problem is it almost never starts on the first crank when cold, even if I crank it over for 10-15 seconds. It will sputter a bit but nothing else. On the second crank it usually starts after ~3 seconds. Does this sound like the issue most of you have experienced?
The service manager said the computer was not showing any software updates for my car, but that there still might be an update available (?). My car was a CPO which I bought about 3 weeks ago, so I figured the dealer would have made sure the latest software was on it during certification.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:03 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the cold start problem anyways? Its always started right up for me...
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the cold start problem anyways? Its always started right up for me...
Your car is fine then.

Cold Start

Ignition Coils

Leather Care

Old 10-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Thoughts on CPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader
I took my 2001 in yesterday for a cold start issue. My problem is it almost never starts on the first crank when cold, even if I crank it over for 10-15 seconds. It will sputter a bit but nothing else. On the second crank it usually starts after ~3 seconds. Does this sound like the issue most of you have experienced?
The service manager said the computer was not showing any software updates for my car, but that there still might be an update available (?). My car was a CPO which I bought about 3 weeks ago, so I figured the dealer would have made sure the latest software was on it during certification.
I purchased my 02 M Roadster as a CPO car and jumped to the conclusion that CPO would insure everything was taken care of that should be done, but I found out that the dealer I purshed it from did a very minimal (or no) CPO inspection. If you got it from a good dealer all the updates may be installed, but it would still be worth it to have them verify that it was done, and not from the dealers computer, but from the car (if that is possible).
Old 10-01-2004, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: '01 M, '98 M3/4
I just got the car back and they said they updated the DME software to the latest version and cleaned some electrical contacts. So it looks like they did not do too thorough of an inspection other than to reset the service indicator. Then again, I bought this car three days after it arrived on the lot before it was advertised in the paper or anywhere else so maybe they never had time to update it. It's fixed now so no worries.
I can't beleive the previous owner put up with the cold start problem for 24k miles. Maybe he/she got fed up and sold it for that reason.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Glad the fix was an easy one.

When I got mine it didn't have cruse control. It was one of the 200 or so that they forgot to put it on. I was also surprised that the previous owner didn't get it installed. My local dealer put it on for free. (I would have thought that checking the cruse control would have been a CPO inspection point, but that was a different dealer in another state.)
Old 10-01-2004, 03:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
New update on my cold start problem...

I though the new software had reduced it. I was wrong; it's actually worse at times. Pinecone will appreciate this issue. Will check the O2 sensors when I get a chance.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 02 M Coupe
I had the cold start problem. I went from stock software, to Dinan Stage 1 (didn't fix it), back to updated stock software (still there) and then to the Shark Injector, which totally eliminated it. I even went back to stock one more time for verification, and the cold start problem returned with it. I don't know? Is it possible that the Shark has somehow resolved this problem and that BMW has not?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:39 AM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader
If your sits any time at all, you should turn the key to ON, but not to start for a few seconds or so. This allows the fuel pump to properly pressurize the system. The car then starts better.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3