Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
Is electric fan supposed to run after you park the car?

I parked last night and got out of my car.
I heard this loud whirring from the front of the car.
I thought it might be a neighbor's air conditioning.

I walk to the front of the car, and it was this loud fan whirring inside my front grille.
This is the first time in 2 years I've owned the car where I noticed an electric fan was running after I exited the car.
Again, this has never happened before. Normally, when I turn off the car, everything is OFF.
It was only 80 degrees out, and the car was not overheating.

I thought maybe something shorted and it would drain the battery.
I came back outside 30 mins later, and luckily it was off.
Today, when I parked, the car was silent, like usual.

So, which is the proper behavior?
The fan never staying on after you park,
or the fan always still running after you park?
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This should explain how the aux fan works whether it's working properly or not:
- How to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical aux fan (1) (2) (3) (4)
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 AM

I'd rather just have someone answer the question. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post
So, which is the proper behavior?
The fan never staying on after you park,
or the fan always still running after you park?
Neither - the fan may run after shutting the car off, usually when it's very hot.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
I am uncertain of the "proper" operation, but I've never heard the fan continue to run after shutdown, even on the hottest days....I'm talking 100F +. I would be surprised if it did. Most cars, including motorcycles, the fan is controlled by the ignition switch. With the key out, the fan will not continue to operate. Fan operation after shutdown is not very useful...while it will cool the water in the radiator, it does little to cool the engine, since that water is not moving, as the water pump is engine driven, off the accessory drive belt.

I wouldn't be concerned if it did, it is not going to run very long, regardless, to drop to the cut off point and turn off.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 08-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Honda's run for up to 15 min after shut down

But this is not a Honda

Sticky relay ?
Bad ews?
Ill have to loo at the book when I get home

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
My auxilary fan will run anywhere from 5 seconds-1 minute after shut-down...mostly on warmer days after a spirited run. Thought it was normal
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferjohnm View Post
My auxilary fan will run anywhere from 5 seconds-1 minute after shut-down...mostly on warmer days after a spirited run. Thought it was normal
It most certainly could be John...just slight operational differences between cars, may cause some to run a bit hotter or cooler.

Hey, I was up at Hardware Sales recently...hadn't been there in over a year...is that not the best place in the world?
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I'd rather just have someone answer the question. Thanks.
No problem. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Under the lift arms

I guess we need to know what computer type your running... whats the month and year of the car

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
It most certainly could be John...just slight operational differences between cars, may cause some to run a bit hotter or cooler.

Hey, I was up at Hardware Sales recently...hadn't been there in over a year...is that not the best place in the world?
That place is AMAZING!! Had no idea it was so reknown, tho LOL
Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
No problem. Good luck!
I was wondering if that was going to elicit a response, lmbo...reminded me of my 16 yo
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
If the car was driven a tad spirited in a hot day, or really spirited in a cooler day, the aux fan might come on. The engine is really hot, and there is no coolant flow. The car still "awake", so it reads the temps. Once the temp of dual temp sensor goes above a certain range (I believe it's 98C on the i6), it will trigger the aux fan. This can be tested, after turning the engine off, leave the key in posII and unlock OBD - KTMP. You will be surprised.

P.S.: Actually if the temp differential between the dual temp sensor and the radiator outlet temp sensor is smaller than x.xxC (I am not sure what the value is), then the aux fan is triggered.
If the temp sensor that reads the engine temp is bust (in the dual temp sensor), or if the rad outlet temp sensor is bust, the aux fan will never turn on, and also the electronically controlled t-stat will be never opened more than the max opening in standard mode. The DME thinks the coolant is not hot enough.
Found out about this the hard way.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby

Last edited by doru; 08-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
I was wondering if that was going to elicit a response, lmbo...reminded me of my 16 yo
...made me laugh too...and think of this image

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
...made me laugh too...and think of this image

More like
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
I guess we need to know what computer type your running... whats the month and year of the car
Production date is 10/2000
Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Under the lift arms

Me7.2

There's your answer... Next time respect people who help this forum out,
If you would have looked thur the stuff blue bee linked you would have found this already..

and get your self a Bentley manual... Next time i have to look in my book for you.. Im going to charge you for it

Customer: Econobox
customer stats aux fan runs after shut down
Time :.0025 min diag @ 87.95$/hr

Customers bill .22cents +7%tax= 27 cents

you owe the shop 27 cents..... you can pick your car up monday
next monday....Night

Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 AM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
I wonder if the OP realizes what BBs response means in terms of future help.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I also own a 2007 Honda Odyssey van, the Aux Fan is switched, in other words, when you stop the van and remove the key from the ignition, the Aux Fan turns off, even when the coolant temp is 95-100C. The Honda engineers design the van this way to avoid running down the battery. Plus, once you exit the van, there is really no need to run the Aux Fan. The engine will cool down naturally anyway. This is one aspect of engineering that the Japanese are better than the Germans...

The E39 Aux Fan is wired in such a way that the feed is always hot, i.e., not switched.
So it is normal for the Aux Fan to run a bit after the engine is shut off. Personally, I have never had that experience (never seen my Aux Fan runs after shutdown). I know for fact it works b/c when the AC is on, I see the fan blades rotating.
As mentioned above, the other way for the fan to run non-stop is a bad Coolant Temp Sensor {mounted on the rad for 97-98 models and at the bottom hose for later models).
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post

Customer: Econobox
customer stats aux fan runs after shut down
Time :.0025 min diag @ 87.95$/hr

Customers bill .22cents +7%tax= 27 cents

you owe the shop 27 cents..... you can pick your car up monday
next monday....Night

You forgot the waste disposal fee. $4.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
my 2000 258 exhibits same fan function

Quote:
after very spirited driving aux fan will run for afew seconds,
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Under the lift arms

This thread is closed now lol

Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Burning2nd, thanks for the answer. It looks like running after shutoff is normal, but it's never happened in over 1.5 years to me.

PS: Normally, I search and Google, and have often commended BlueBee's encyclopedic organization on this forum.
However, I am currently having health issues, and for a simple yes/no question (Does the fan stay on, ever?)
I did not want to spend hours researching everything there is to know about the aux fan.
Normally, this is indeed what I do. This time, I just wanted the yes/no answer. Thank you for understanding.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Burning2nd, thanks for the answer. It looks like running after shutoff is normal, but it's never happened in over 1.5 years to me.

PS: Normally, I search and Google, and have often commended BlueBee's encyclopedic organization on this forum.
However, I am currently having health issues, and for a simple yes/no question (Does the fan stay on, ever?)
I did not want to spend hours researching everything there is to know about the aux fan.
Normally, this is indeed what I do. This time, I just wanted the yes/no answer. Thank you for understanding.
If the pusher fan stays on after a spirited driving, it's normal. The engine is a tad hotter than when it's driven under "normal" conditions.
If the pusher fan comes on after the car was driven "normal", then chances are the fan clutch is failing.
If the pusher fan never comes on, even if the KTMP shows more than 98C, but comes on when you turn A/C on, the dual temp sensor is toast, and the car might even overheat (this is if the pusher fan relay checks OK with the GT1).
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
I also own a 2007 Honda Odyssey van, the Aux Fan is switched, in other words, when you stop the van and remove the key from the ignition, the Aux Fan turns off, even when the coolant temp is 95-100C. The Honda engineers design the van this way to avoid running down the battery. Plus, once you exit the van, there is really no need to run the Aux Fan. The engine will cool down naturally anyway. This is one aspect of engineering that the Japanese are better than the Germans...

The E39 Aux Fan is wired in such a way that the feed is always hot, i.e., not switched.
So it is normal for the Aux Fan to run a bit after the engine is shut off. Personally, I have never had that experience (never seen my Aux Fan runs after shutdown). I know for fact it works b/c when the AC is on, I see the fan blades rotating.
As mentioned above, the other way for the fan to run non-stop is a bad Coolant Temp Sensor {mounted on the rad for 97-98 models and at the bottom hose for later models).
+1..and the point in my previous post...even if the fan runs after shutdown, it is only cooling the radiator, not the engine, since the coolant is not circulating...it is stationary, since the water pump is not running. Typically, even if the fan is allowed to run, the battery will not run down, as the radiator will cool quickly, since there is not that great a volume of coolant in the radiator, and it is not being resupplied with hot coolant from the engine. So really, either way is probably fine...the only time it might be superior to have the radiator fan on a switched leg, is if the battery is marginal, and has little capacity/life left.