Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
If the car was driven a tad spirited in a hot day, or really spirited in a cooler day, the aux fan might come on. The engine is really hot, and there is no coolant flow. The car still "awake", so it reads the temps. Once the temp of dual temp sensor goes above a certain range (I believe it's 98C on the i6), it will trigger the aux fan. This can be tested, after turning the engine off, leave the key in posII and unlock OBD - KTMP. You will be surprised.

P.S.: Actually if the temp differential between the dual temp sensor and the radiator outlet temp sensor is smaller than x.xxC (I am not sure what the value is), then the aux fan is triggered.
If the temp sensor that reads the engine temp is bust (in the dual temp sensor), or if the rad outlet temp sensor is bust, the aux fan will never turn on, and also the electronically controlled t-stat will be never opened more than the max opening in standard mode. The DME thinks the coolant is not hot enough.
Found out about this the hard way.
When I had my cooling system overhaul performed, by a BMW master tech, I provided two boxes of parts..he was impressed with the thoroughness of the parts I supplied (I had every hose, pulley, tensioner, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, etc, etc)...but he added in the temp sensors, saying it was a good idea to replace them as well.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
Quote:
If the pusher fan stays on after a spirited driving, it's normal. The engine is a tad hotter than when it's driven under "normal" conditions.
If the pusher fan comes on after the car was driven "normal", then chances are the fan clutch is failing.
If the pusher fan never comes on, even if the KTMP shows more than 98C, but comes on when you turn A/C on, the dual temp sensor is toast, and the car might even overheat (this is if the pusher fan relay checks OK with the GT1).
I have a brand new fan clutch installed.
(The one for the main cooling fan in the shroud)
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
DID anyone read that page?

hes running me 7.2

Its normal..
why is this still going on?
unsubscribed
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoBox View Post
I have a brand new fan clutch installed.
(The one for the main cooling fan in the shroud)
If it's a Behr fan clutch made in CPR, google the issue with this brand. You will see, even new most of the time it's not doing the job properly a.k.a. pulling minimal air. Lots of e46 & e39 guys on other forums recognized the issue (especially the e46 guys) and the consensus is to run the Sachs fan clutch, which is very strong. I went this route a few years ago, and I am happy.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
the consensus is to run the Sachs fan clutch
I will add this information to this thread on what brands to buy:
- What BMW E39 parts & supplies are most often recommended to buy OEM from a dealer or sponsor (1)
Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
Quote:
If it's a Behr fan clutch made in CPR, google the issue with this brand. You will see, even new most of the time it's not doing the job properly a.k.a. pulling minimal air. Lots of e46 & e39 guys on other forums recognized the issue (especially the e46 guys) and the consensus is to run the Sachs fan clutch, which is very strong. I went this route a few years ago, and I am happy.
Got a
Fichtel-Sachs OEM
Fan Clutch; Screw-On
for $91