Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
time to replace battery? (updated 9/4/13)

I have an '08 335 with idrive and over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed something that makes me think the battery needs to be replaced. About 2 weeks ago, we went on a little mini vacation and I didn't drive the car for a little over 5 days. When I came back, I noticed that my clock was slow about 2 minutes. Also, on the little trip computer on my dashboard, I normally set it to show the current mpg and I noticed that when I turned on the car, it was blank and not on that setting. I didn't really think anything of it but then I was thinking and I could have swore that I read somewhere on some forum that said that when the car battery is low or the voltage isn't reading where it should be, the car kind of slowly starts shutting off non-essential parts such as memory for time or certain settings.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I haven't replaced the battery since I bought the car and it now has 95k miles. I'm thinking it's time for a battery replacement. Does anybody have any ideas of how much this will cost from the dealer? I also have the extended vehicle maintenance but I'm guessing a battery replacement isn't covered.

Last edited by bam; 09-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
time to replace battery?

Yes, the car will start "forgetting" little things like your radio station, etc. when the battery is going. Dealer will probably want as much as $500+ for a new battery and registration, which is why I recommend a good indy.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
I have an '08 335 with idrive and over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed something that makes me think the battery needs to be replaced. About 2 weeks ago, we went on a little mini vacation and I didn't drive the car for a little over 5 days. When I came back, I noticed that my clock was slow about 2 minutes. Also, on the little trip computer on my dashboard, I normally set it to show the current mpg and I noticed that when I turned on the car, it was blank and not on that setting. I didn't really think anything of it but then I was thinking and I could have swore that I read somewhere on some forum that said that when the car battery is low or the voltage isn't reading where it should be, the car kind of slowly starts shutting off non-essential parts such as memory for time or certain settings.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I haven't replaced the battery since I bought the car and it now has 95k miles. I'm thinking it's time for a battery replacement. Does anybody have any ideas of how much this will cost from the dealer? I also have the extended vehicle maintenance but I'm guessing a battery replacement isn't covered.
Yes, 100% true. It's time for a new battery, N4S
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
So just to update folks with information where this might be helpful if you experience the same thing. Yes, it was the battery failing. The dealer said that it was only holding about 30% charge so it was only a matter of time. Got the battery replaced at the dealer and registered at the dealer. That was not cheap.

While there, I also had them replace the windshield top trim as it was cracking pretty bad. I've heard cases where people have waited and the trim has really fallen apart to where it was really difficult to replace the trim. I didn't want to wait that long because I didn't want the dealer to charge me extra because they had a hard time removing the trim so I went ahead and did it. Looks fine now but I'm still perplexed that the trim would deteriorate in the first place.

The other thing I had them look at was my front brakes because I can feel it wobbling whenever I come to a hard stop from freeway speeds. No problem during city speeds but I can feel a slight shake at freeway speeds. I know it's a warped rotor and they confirmed it was a warped rotor. I have the extended maintenance contract and apparently, it doesn't cover warped rotors. They said that if the rotors were worn down below spec, they would be able to get it replaced but they can't replace it for warped rotors. Anybody have experience with this and does this sound right? I don't have the list of excluded items but that does seemed to be quite petty to not replace for warped rotors.

Last edited by bam; 09-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.