Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
dealership is trying to get me to replace negative batt cable. sounds fishy to me.

So the (nonbmw) dealership I got my 2007 335i from replaced the battery and managed to break the tension bolt on the negative terminal thus making the connection loose. I took it to the bmw dealership to get a new one and they are trying to tell me the neg cable is the smart sensor cable and because this one bolt broke the whole thing is now apparently broke and must be replaced for 500+ dollars.. The car runs fine aside from the occasional loose connection issue where I have to go back and resecure the cable which of course resets the radio because its not registered. If I had the tension bolt holding it down there wouldnt be any connection issues so I dont understand why they are trying to replace the whole thing. Do you think they are pulling one over on me or could this be an actual issue?
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan66 View Post
So the (nonbmw) dealership I got my 2007 335i from replaced the battery and managed to break the tension bolt on the negative terminal thus making the connection loose. I took it to the bmw dealership to get a new one and they are trying to tell me the neg cable is the smart sensor cable and because this one bolt broke the whole thing is now apparently broke and must be replaced for 500+ dollars.. The car runs fine aside from the occasional loose connection issue where I have to go back and resecure the cable which of course resets the radio because its not registered. If I had the tension bolt holding it down there wouldnt be any connection issues so I dont understand why they are trying to replace the whole thing. Do you think they are pulling one over on me or could this be an actual issue?

Well, spartan66, it is good to question. It is better to supply detail.

What exactly are they saying? If above is all they gave you, not enough to make a decision.

Ask for much more....howsabout a real explanation o/neg cable construction? Have 'em show you what's wrong and why it needs that repair.

Yo! Post back here!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
You could see on realoem.com if the part in question can be purchased as a whole assembly only or the bolt independently. If the bolt cannot be purchased independently then I figure the dealer is required to swap out the whole cable.

Not sure if this helps: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...46&hg=61&fg=30

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM

Yeah the service rep just sat down with me and was like the whole thing needs to be replaced because the cable itself is somehow broken and it is the smart cable which I thought was the big thing on the positive cable. Like I said when I have a good connection on the battery (as good as it gets without the bolt) I have ZERO problems when driving around.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM

Well they have the bolt and are gonna install it to "hold me over" til the end of the month because im not going to drop 500 if I dont absolutely have to.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well they have the bolt and are gonna install it to "hold me over" til the end of the month because im not going to drop 500 if I dont absolutely have to.

Well, what's smart about it? CWinter's Realoem link -- cable looks kinda dumb t'me....
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM

The guy just came and told me the other dealership probably broke the bolt because the battery terminal on the battery they installed is "too small" compared to a bmw battery. Despite that the positive cable is fine. I think im just gonna find another shop... thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Why not try just the bolt, if it gives you issues change the whole thing. N4S
Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Thats what im trying to ask the guy but he thinks im completely dumb or something... were doing the bolt now and im "coming back"
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Potential reminder that getting a new battery is perhaps not quite as easy on these cars as it looks, especially on shops with no experience with them. I'd be weary unless the shop regularly replaces BMW batteries and knows more is involved than just removal and re-installation.

Hope the bolt works for ya, but if the battery terminal is too small, I'd wonder if the correct battery was installed and if keeping it in the car might lead to more trouble down the road...

If you use the search function, there is info on here as to what type of battery should be installed and how it should be registered with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Well I looked up the battery they put in and its listed by local auto parts as a replacement so idk. Theyre done now though and after 200 bucks and 2 hours for a bolt and a car wash all seems right in the world
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, what's smart about it?
It includes the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which controls the charging rate. The OP should also get the new battery registered (preferably after replacing the cable so that it will play nice with the IBS.

Tom
Old 08-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
It includes the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which controls the charging rate. The OP should also get the new battery registered (preferably after replacing the cable so that it will play nice with the IBS.

Chip! Which IC? One wire comm? Or just sense wire to an instrument?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM

If an integrated circuit, likely cost <$5....hoo boy....
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:

spartan66. did you replace the IBS?