Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
A loss in the family ....

On Tuesday I traded my 2007 E90 335i for a pretty loaded 2013 Audi A4. It was a tough decision because I really loved that car (feel like I betrayed an old friend driving away without it). When I bought the E90 nothing drove like it at the same price point while offering a high level of refinement. However constant issues and pending tires, brakes, and other maintenance made me decide it was time for something new.

I considered another newer CPO E90 but wanted a change. I had an 2013 F30 loaner (sport/premium) for 3 weeks (see constant issues above) and tried to like it but realized it just didn't have the driver connected feel of my E90 - it's a nice car but doesn't stand head and shoulder above its peers as it used to, and I felt like the quality of interior materials was down from the E90. As my girlfriend said you shouldn't have to work to like a car that you're about to drop $50K on . . .

I test drove both the new IS350 and GS350 F-Sport - nice cars but soulless. I drove these cars twice because I wanted to veer towards reliability. I could see myself in the GS-350 in another 10 years. It really is a nice car but the 2013 is somewhat behind the times (6-speed AT for one) and is just a larger car than I want. It had far and away the best interior of any cars I tested, and there are sweet deals on them right now.

I test drove the new Infiniti Q50 Sport Hybrid - it's a touchscreen on wheels these days, and with 19" RFT's a noisy mess at highway speeds. The non-hybrid does offer a spare tire option, and if push came to shove would choose this over the new IS350 (IS350 interior is too small, IMO).

Ignoring probability of reliability, I soon realized that I just like European cars better and went with what really spoke to me - a leftover Glacier White 2013 Audi A4 (drove a bunch of them). It's got premium+, sports pack and B&O audio, and by choice due to brutal Atlanta traffic, only 2 pedals, and the deal was very good. The car has standard tires and a spare! . In some ways it is a return to my roots as my first car was a White 1982 Jetta on which I learned to drive stick.

The one thing I don't like is that there is no online Audi community as active and entertaining as this one, and so I will likely still be found lurking here as I'll always be a fan of what BMW is capable of. I won't be surprised if some day there is another BMW in my garage.
Ads by Google
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
I will never purchase an F30!! Audi though?? RS5 yeah other than that.... Like a C63 though
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
I didn't buy it for raw performance but more for the overall balanced package it offered at a fair price. Yes, an RS5 or C63 would be nice, for about $25K more.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I didn't buy it for raw performance but more for the overall balanced package it offered at a fair price. Yes, an RS5 or C63 would be nice, for about $25K more.
Enjoy your new car. As you said it is the car that really spoke to you. I hope you have as much fun with the A4 as you did with the 335i. Congratulations.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
How bout a 535 or better yet 550?? Good luck with the Audi though i'm really not trashing it...Fine vehicle.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Enjoy the new ride and all the best! I have not had the chance to drive a well equipped F30 but the stripper 328i loaners from the dealer always make me happy when I'm back in my E90. I'd have to drive a 335i ZSP 6-speed to really tell if I'd be game or not.

I hear the new IS350 is really a very balanced car though it could use more horsepower with a really nice interior, Lexus reliability, and a very well sorted out chassis. I guess you weren't impressed. If I could get over the looks of the IS350, I would consider it. Your review of the Q50 seems to be what most reviews are saying. Noisy and too much technology. I hope to avoid having ANY screen in the car for my next car and this one has two? Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
John, I totally understand. The lack of quality and durability of some of the parts on my car is just disgracefully for a car of this price. It is wonderful to drive. I have the driver side of my brain and the fiscally responsible side always at odds. I am constantly looking at cars to replace my BMW but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Good luck with the A4! In a few months, let us know what you think of it.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Enjoy the new ride and all the best! I have not had the chance to drive a well equipped F30 but the stripper 328i loaners from the dealer always make me happy when I'm back in my E90. I'd have to drive a 335i ZSP 6-speed to really tell if I'd be game or not.

I hear the new IS350 is really a very balanced car though it could use more horsepower with a really nice interior, Lexus reliability, and a very well sorted out chassis. I guess you weren't impressed. If I could get over the looks of the IS350, I would consider it. Your review of the Q50 seems to be what most reviews are saying. Noisy and too much technology. I hope to avoid having ANY screen in the car for my next car and this one has two? Good grief.
Choose your next car wisely. My previous car was nearly-identical to your (328i with ZSP) and I already miss it (been 2 weeks). In my case I had no choice (lease was due), but it was a very fun and balanced car. I am glad I got to experience BMW NA engine before they got replaced with turbo line-up, even tough it was only for 2 years.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Choose your next car wisely. My previous car was nearly-identical to your (328i with ZSP) and I already miss it (been 2 weeks). In my case I had no choice (lease was due), but it was a very fun and balanced car. I am glad I got to experience BMW NA engine before they got replaced with turbo line-up, even tough it was only for 2 years.
No kidding! Four years later and 60k on the clock I'm still loving the heck out of it. Hope it lasts another 10 years, but realistically, probably another 4 or 5.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I predict you'll eventually come to the realization the F30 isn't the horrible abomination it seems everyone wants to portray it as and you'll end up back in a BMW sooner than you may anticipate. The A4 is a fine German car, but the fact is it is a front heavy, FWD biased architecture that does not have the RWD architecture driving dynamics that make BMWs what they are. Enjoy the Audi while you have it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

Good luck with that.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Good luck with that.
I know. What a shame.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I know. What a shame.
It's not really that bad. With BMW you can just use it as a large radio display if you want. The air conditioning is still controlled the traditional way and about half of the radio controls are traditional. At least BMW had the good sense to develop the iDrive controller rather than put in some stupid iPad like touch screen that people are supposed to try to touch in just the right way while they try to maneuver a 3,500 pound piece of machinery down the road at 40 - 80 miles per hour.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
I think most of enthusiasts prefer simpler non-cluttered look of interior. I for one, seldom use radio and prefer simple classic look of interior.

The iDrive display in F30 (and every new luxury car) looks like aftermarket unit glued on top of dashboard. Few years ago people used to do those kinds of mods on non-navigation cars and everyone was laughing at them. These days manufacturers are doing it and all of a sudden it's "cool".

One of many reasons I got one of the last E82 on production line - it's simple and classic. If I wanted gadgets I'd get Q50. I understand BMW is in the business of making money and the more "base" stuff you load up the more $$$ the car would be.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It's not really that bad. With BMW you can just use it as a large radio display if you want. The air conditioning is still controlled the traditional way and about half of the radio controls are traditional. At least BMW had the good sense to develop the iDrive controller rather than put in some stupid iPad like touch screen that people are supposed to try to touch in just the right way while they try to maneuver a 3,500 pound piece of machinery down the road at 40 - 80 miles per hour.
What I liked about the F30 loaner is that you can turn the screen off. Now if only you could hide it...

Quote:
Old 08-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi Coupe
Quote:
What I liked about the F30 loaner is that you can turn the screen off. Now if only you could hide it...
You can turn it off in 335xi too..