Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
I'm inferring that the UK xDrive 30d is the same as the USA xDrive 35d. If that is the case why do BMW alter the name for the identical car? All this breeds is confusion.

It will be interesting to peruse reviews of the more sporty suspension choice ie M Sport Line with the optional 2VF: Adaptive M Suspension as I'm not interested in a float boat.

It looks like the Porsche Cayenne is the benchmark here. Mercedes is clearly beaten.

I wonder what the third row is like since the vehicle only grew by one inch in length. I doubt whether adults could sit comfortably there. Apparently third row is for toddlers or the extremely vertically challenged adults!

Aesthetically the F15 looks more modern than the E70 but is not as good looking as the predecessor. No problem! I still believe it is an improvement because it looks more futuristic in F15 guise. I like the way the headlights kiss the grill. The taillights are a definite improvement. The downer is the side profile. The front iooks pushed in and the angle and rendition of the Hoffmeister kink could have been better implemented.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
I'm inferring that the UK xDrive 30d is the same as the USA xDrive 35d. If that is the case why do BMW alter the name for the identical car?
Marketing.

In the US, the 35d is $1500K more than the 35i. In Germany, the 35i is EUR 500 more than the 30d. Selling any kind of 30 for an up-charge over a 35 will be difficult.

For enthusiasts like us this might sound silly - for the average Joe browsing the showroom and making a "gut-decision", this can be a deal breaker.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Perusing the front of the car I can't understand why the fog lights had to be rendered circular. Rectangular would have been the way to go. It would have been in harmony with the F15 nascent generation and would have further differentiated it from the E70 LCI. Those big circular fog lights are misplaced. They are reminiscent of two giant pimples and it seems that the designers were reluctant to stray too far from the E70 LCI. So, essentially we have evolution rather than revolution and I can't help thinking BMW missed an opportunity here.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto:
760Lifan, I find it hard to reconcile that successful people - let's face it, one has to be successful to afford a BMW - would fall for the old switcheroo trick. I would have thought that customers would be glad to know that their car manufacturer is transparent and treats them as though they have more than bricks between their ears.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Perusing the front of the car I can't understand why the fog lights had to be rendered circular. Rectangular would have been the way to go. It would have been in harmony with the F15 nascent generation and would have further differentiated it from the E70 LCI. Those big circular fog lights are misplaced. They are reminiscent of two giant pimples and it seems that the designers were reluctant to stray too far from the E70 LCI. So, essentially we have evolution rather than revolution and I can't help thinking BMW missed an opportunity here.
I don't see it that way. Look at ALL BMWs today, circular fogs. Look at 99 and 2000 BMWs, rectangular fogs. Circular fogs is part of their current design language.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
760Lifan, I find it hard to reconcile that successful people - let's face it, one has to be successful to afford a BMW - would fall for the old switcheroo trick. I would have thought that customers would be glad to know that their car manufacturer is transparent and treats them as though they have more than bricks between their ears.
I certainly can't tell for sure if what I stated is the actual reason for their labeling-stunt - but honestly, I can't think of any other.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
"Unfortunately that means it canít match the steering feel and chassis responses of its predecessor."

I want my ultimate driving machine company back.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: German
Re: First Drives: BMW X5 xDrive30d by Autocar, Autoexpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
"Unfortunately that means it can't match the steering feel and chassis responses of its predecessor."

I want my ultimate driving machine company back.
Looks like Cayenne sales will go up. Lol

- Sent from Galaxy S4
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5
No doubt. Here in the Bay area the number of Cayennes on the road already rivals those of the E70 LCI. With Cayennes offering the cheaper base model and superior reliability and handling, I don't see any reason they will not become more and more popular. I'll take a serious look at the Cayenne for my next vehicle as well. BMW is so obsessed with competing with Audi/Mercedes in this segment that it loses sight of another truly sporty SUV that will kick its butt in its core competence. It might lose the battle on both ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Looks like Cayenne sales will go up. Lol

- Sent from Galaxy S4

Last edited by pixma; 09-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.