Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I have two not ready. I am ordering that kit right now. I will be busy starting tomorrow. I hope I do not screw anything up.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM
DIY'er

I am in the middle of pulling my intake to try to clear the secondary air ports enough to get rid of the error code.. when I pulled the CCV hose, this is what I found.. I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether cars that don't smoke at idle do or don't have this amount of oil here, but it sure seems excessive to me. The tube had a lot of oil in it as well.

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
I am in the middle of pulling my intake to try to clear the secondary air ports enough to get rid of the error code.. when I pulled the CCV hose, this is what I found.. I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether cars that don't smoke at idle do or don't have this amount of oil here, but it sure seems excessive to me. The tube had a lot of oil in it as well.
i currently have 2 pickups, 1 van & 2 cars - I've probably owned 30 + cars in my life - I've probably worked on thousands of cars & many more trucks - No, it is not normal to have oil in your intake - My BMW is the only one.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM
DIY'er

Thought so. Catch can time?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
BigUglyfab - Here's his link, send him a message (I'd remove your # from your post) - but he'll probably want to pull your heads

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=156197
Cleaning carbon in a gasoline engine is pretty easy. Run the engine at 2000 RPM with the air filter removed and spray a mist of water directly into the engine for a few minutes.
You can run a gallon thru in about 3 minutes. If you run too much water too fast you can certainly grenade the engine so do not get anxious and spray it in too fast.
Use a nozzle with a control valve that lets you set your spray pressure and leave it set.
If sprayed in a mist, the water will mix with the air and fuel and blast the carbon out of your engine. Your exhaust will have a large cloud of white smoke and that is normal.
This trick has been used for 50 years to clean out carbon deposits.

As the fuel companies tried many formula's over the years some of them carbon ed engines really fast and this trick cleaned them out. For a while in the early 90's the fuel in California was so bad people that did not drive the freeways and took only short trips had carbon build up so bad it turned the back of the valves into Tee Pee's made of carbon.
This trick cleaned those up.
The 95 Suburban I had back then carboned up till it would not pass smog due to high Nox, this fixed that too.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 09-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I used to drizzle water down the carb when I had hot rods and older cars.Not done this with newer cars.Good idea!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Dr.BMW

Mein Auto: Fastest M3 in Tx
Sorry i haven't been able to be engaged in this conversation for the last week, I just got back from Cancun.
yall have been a very talkative bunch here!

the *ONE* thing you are forgetting to remember here guys:

air leak.
air leak.
air leak.
air leak.

Question:
what happens when an unmetered air leak is ingested, post mass air flow meter? A B- you should have keyed in on that immediately if you work on fuel injected vehicles.
a little is normal. most every car has a VERY small amount of leak. no big deal.

but, what happens when more air is pulled in? as in, enough to cause oil problems as you are theorizing?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly fab View Post
Sorry i haven't been able to be engaged in this conversation for the last week, I just got back from Cancun.
yall have been a very talkative bunch here!

the *ONE* thing you are forgetting to remember here guys:

air leak.
air leak.
air leak.
air leak.

Question:
what happens when an unmetered air leak is ingested, post mass air flow meter? A B- you should have keyed in on that immediately if you work on fuel injected vehicles.
a little is normal. most every car has a VERY small amount of leak. no big deal.

but, what happens when more air is pulled in? as in, enough to cause oil problems as you are theorizing?
From a novice point of view... this has been my position since learning of what happens when there is an air leak. All other discussions have focused on oil seeping past the seals into the combustion chamber. CCV air leaks causing oil to pass through the vent tubes into the intake.

But I say as well worn seals create opportunity for air entry into the valve cover there for a "air leak" , the rest is history.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Dr.BMW

Im asking that question because I know the answer.
Im asking it to see if others do as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM

I agree a BIG air leak in the crankcase will cause the CCV to stay open when it should close.Easy test ,close vacuum source on intake to CCVs.Leave hoses open to vent from CCVs and see if you have smoke.Easy.Let it idle for long duration and rev it every so often to clear the residual oil.This might take 2 or 3 hours if you have a quart or more in your intake LOL.If it still smokes its rings or valve seals.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Also I understand that BMWs now have a sealed crankcase this is why leaks down there will cause the CCVs to open.I would like to get back to why higher valve lift helps idle and why you would or wouldn't make more vacuum or pressure difference with higher valve lift .I think back now and I know longer valve open duration as in an aggressive cam can lower vacuum.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM

i did miss you Big Ugly - As you can see, I even directed someone your way - Even though you didn't take me to Cancun - Now try to keep it civil.

I have to admit I did make a mistake. The pad/filter and screen I installed on the outlet of both valve covers (at hose connections) held oil after the engine was shut off. This was evident after I installed my clear vent hoses and watched the oil flow after starting the engine. Any oil that couldn't drain from those pads, immediately went into the vent plumbing/intake. As I said in a previous post, the OEM vent tubes are corrugated so they don't drain completely either. After removing those secondary pads/screens and with my clear vent plumbing - I am very happy with the results. I can see no measurable amount of oil getting to the intake at startup. Remember, until the crankcase reaches the desired vacuum state, you will have a sudden rush of air heading for the intake. I'm wondering if the hole problem with these engines is the corrugated plumbing they utilize. (As well as bad CCV diaphragms)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	398233

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 09-22-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Dr.BMW

dude-

think about it.

what happens on an OBDII vehicle if it has an excessive air leak post MAF?
please tell me you know. PLEASE.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
dude-
think about it.
what happens on an OBDII vehicle if it has an excessive air leak post MAF?
please tell me you know. PLEASE.
I take it back - I didn't miss you.
The N62 employs a hot film mass airflow sensor, but the MAF can't measure air mass on it's own. With additional sensors and inputs, the engine's ECM can determine the mass flowrate of intake air. The ECM then will control fuel, timing, etc. Airflow is controlled by the throttle valve during the starting procedure when the air temperature is between 20 o (C) and 60 o (C). If the engine is at operating temperature, it will be switched to non-throttle mode approximately 60 seconds after start up. In cold conditions however, the engine is started with the throttle valve fully opened because this has a positive effect on the starting characteristics. It also ensures a constant vacuum of 50 mbar in the intake manifold. This vacuum is needed to exhaust the blow-by gases from the crankcase and the fuel vapors from the activated charcoal filter.

My wife is taking the car to LA for a few days. It's a good trip to check oil consumption & try to clean the pistons again. My vacuum measures fine at my dipstick, but I purchased a new oil filler cap so I can tap the old one with a vacuum gauge. I'll also tap my vent hose assembly to fit a vacuum gauge - just to see what the pre & post CCV vacuum is.
** Also keep in mind, my car runs great **
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 AM

A B able if you check your vacuum it would be cool if you could also see what your valve lift is set at.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
A B able if you check your vacuum it would be cool if you could also see what your valve lift is set at.
Unless there's a way I'm not aware of without removing the valve covers - Sorry, not unless I have to. I'm wasting way too much time on this car as it is.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM

AB able INPA
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Unless there's a way I'm not aware of without removing the valve covers - Sorry, not unless I have to. I'm wasting way too much time on this car as it is.
can be done in INPA no problem
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
can be done in INPA no problem
I have INPA. What function in the menu would show the valve lift at start up? I will check it.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Dr.BMW

Quote:
I take it back - I didn't miss you.

thanks.

how about you answer the question? any person who works on cars that are OBDII should be able to answer this question without any trouble.

what happens when air is ingested by an engine that is UNMETERED?
This specific question KILLS any "air seeping past seals causing oil burning" debate.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
I have INPA. What function in the menu would show the valve lift at start up? I will check it.
I don't remember menu steps right off hand.Its under engine settings.Very easy to find.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379951863.009441.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	398317Now that I look at the screen captures again I don't think mine is maxed out.Need to check again.Can you help me out Biguglyfab ?I can get more screen shots.

Last edited by dolfan13; 09-23-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

thanks.
how about you answer the question? any person who works on cars that are OBDII should be able to answer this question without any trouble.
what happens when air is ingested by an engine that is UNMETERED?
This specific question KILLS any "air seeping past seals causing oil burning" debate.
Let me guess the answer you're looking for;
The engine runs like poop and the check engine like comes on?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM

So I just spent 20 > 30 minutes with the owner of AGA. What an impressive operation he has - and a very nice guy. (schpenxel - I'll be PMing you)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I don't remember menu steps right off hand.Its under engine settings.Very easy to find.Attachment 398317Now that I look at the screen captures again I don't think mine is maxed out.Need to check again.Can you help me out Biguglyfab ?I can get more screen shots.
.8mm is max for the minimum

range is .3 to .8 if I remember correctly
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
So I just spent 20 > 30 minutes with the owner of AGA. What an impressive operation he has - and a very nice guy. (schpenxel - I'll be PMing you)
Awesome. Thanks! I would love to see his place, but am on the wrong coast