Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive (on order)
2013 depreciation IRL

I posted that I was thinking of trading in my 2013 x28i Xline for a Mini Countryman. After giving it some serious thought and test driving the Mini for an entire day, I have decided to keep my X1. I love it too much to let it go!
I had the dealer give me a trade-in value and wanted to post FYI. I am sure they came in a little low, but maybe not. I took it to the same family of dealerships where I bought my bimmer. The used Mini was on their GMC lot, but the value came from the BMW lot. They don't sell new Minis.
2013 s28 delivered 10/12
16K miles
Xline
Jet Black with Oyster
Premium Package
Price paid 35,500
Trade-in value 28K-29K
Depreciated 6500-7500 in 10 months or nearly 20%
Dealer gave some negatives -Not having AWD was an issue even in the South. X1 not selling too well locally. CPO former loaners are taking 60 days to sell. 2013 model year.
So what do you think about this depreciation is it on par with the brand?

Last edited by X1FirstBMW; 09-01-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Corrected to RWD s28
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1FirstBMW View Post
Price paid 35,500
Trade-in value 28K-29K
Depreciated 6500-7500 in 10 months or nearly 20%
Dealer gave some negatives -Not having AWD was an issue even in the South. X1 not selling too well locally. CPO former loaners are taking 60 days to sell. 2013 model year.
So what do you think about this depreciation is it on par with the brand?
I think the dealer is doing normal dealer $hit and screwing people on trade-in values.

That being said, it's what pretty much anyone does: buy low, sell high. He has to cover his cost and make a profit. Probably he'll turn it and market it for $3k or more higher than the value he gives for the trade-in. That margin is why many people sell on the private market; but you have to be willing to stand the hassle of cars.com/autotrader.com/craigslist.

Have you gone to cars.com/autotrader.com and had them estimate the trade-in and private-party values? Probably will come out close to what the dealer is offering.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: x1 x28i
If you really want out, I have found that Carmax consistently has given me a few $K more than other dealers were offering in trade. I've sold four cars to them over the past six years.

Why in the world would you want a Mini over an X1? I can't even imagine that scenario. I've owned a number of cars and find my X1 to be probably the best one I've ever owned. As long as it stays trouble-free (knock on wood) I intend on buying it at the end of the lease period.

Also, 20% seems about right. You pretty much lose that as soon as you drive off the lot. The residual at the end of 3 years is a bit under 60% so figure 20% depreciation in the first year, then another 10% per year each following year.

Last edited by nostatic; 08-31-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive (on order)
Don't worry, I came to my senses and am keeping my X1. I was just posting my experience. I drove the Mini and it couldn't compare to my car. I also got an offer from carbuyco for 23k! That was hilarious. Regarding private sales, In my state, you pay no taxes if your trade in is worth less than your new car. In my case that meant a private sale would have to be at least $1800 more just to break even. Add in the hassle factor and it didn't seem worth it. I would have run the numbers if I had decided to get rid of my car.
That being said, I decided to enjoy my car for at least another couple of years. After returning the Mini, I got her detailed and took the long winding road home. Yep, I love this car!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
We just traded ours in for a used 550i this week. The numbers were very similar - we paid around $35k and trade-in was $28k. we only had 5800 miles. Their argument was that they needed to price it where they could sell it for a payment competitive with a lease payment on a new one. They had a ton of new X1's on the lot, at least 10.

I do think a fair price point was reached with negotiation on the car we bought, although I'm waiting to see what they really list our car for.

On a side note, I had our car listed for a week on Autotrader for what I thought it was worth (and the cheapest of any X1 in the Bay Area) and got no responses at all. The hit on the trade did hurt, but we love our new car which came in about $7K under KBB.

new username is grey F10...

Last edited by greyX1; 09-01-2013 at 08:58 AM.